• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red Ryder - Tis the Season

Did you have a Red Ryder as a kid?

• Yep

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Nope, no airgun

Votes: 25 28.1%
  • Nope, another brand/type

Votes: 44 49.4%

• Total voters
It was my first, I was 7 or 8. Many hours of enjoyment, many a shredded beer cans. Used to hang Budweiser cans from a tree limb, string, paper clip for quick target change was the pro tip.

Could make the bottom or the can fall off in less than one ‘magazine’ hence the need for the paper clip.

My 7yo got hers today

Now that I have a wee one, just wonder if you had a bb/pellet gun growing up. Loved using mine in my little basement shooting range.
I had a basement range also , back stop was a old wool army blanket. Loved shooting prone felt like the green army men we ended up shooting at later in life.
In hind sight the red Ryder is aweful to learn on but effective.

I had a basement range also , back stop was a old wool army blanket. Loved shooting prone felt like the green army men we ended up shooting at later in life.

Yeah, probably not the best rifle, but so much fun as a kid!

No Red Ryder but I had a howitzer, well a replica of a howitzer. I’m not sure of the scale size but it did shoot solid projectiles about the size of a baseball. I destroyed several lamps, cracked the solid wooden door to the bathroom and obliterated a plaster of Paris cornucopia of fruit that was hanging on the wall in the kitchen that was my mother’s favorite. This was the last straw and it went back to the store on December 26th, I was 6.......

My across the street neighbor, who is a summer person, was down to check out his property prior to Christmas. He came over and told me both his boys, 9, 11, are getting Red Ryders for Christmas.

He knows I have firearms and plans to have an “unveiling” here on ........, between the holidays,where we can shoot into the woods!

I skipped the BB gun with my kid and went directly to a 22 Cricket with my son at age 4, which in hindsight, was a mistake.
I should have gotten him a BB gun.

I got a Daisy Model 25 for my 10th Christmas, best Christmas ever, but that gun is long gone. However, I still have my Slavia 177 pellet gun from my 1962 Christmas, She’s old and tired, but she’ll be on the line when the summer kids come down to shoot their new Red Ryders.

Beer cans, clay targets and bottles beware! You’re future is limited!

Btw, the Kid, 3 yo grandson, Nana, and I were all at Cabelas in Hudson on 12/20 looking at Red Ryders. The future awaits!

Never had a spring-loaded pneumatic like the Daisy. My first was a Crosman pump-up -- repeating bolt action for BBs (it had a magnetic tip on the bolt), and single-load pellets. As I recall, it was smooth bore. I got it when I was 7, I think.

It was my first, I was 7 or 8. Many hours of enjoyment, many a shredded beer cans. Used to hang Budweiser cans from a tree limb, string, paper clip for quick target change was the pro tip.

Could make the bottom or the can fall off in less than one ‘magazine’ hence the need for the paper clip.

My 7yo got hers today
My Jill got hers last year at five years old. She is now six and has a bolt action .22. The Red Ryder is in storage. Lexi will get it next year when she turns five.

I did this with my son.....army blankets and army men too!

A wool army blanket folded twice (4 layers) makes a great backstop for lead pellets......not so much for copper bbs. Ask me how I know!

My first was a Daisy but it wasn't the Red Ryder. It had Peep sights with interchangeable inserts. My second was a Crossman 760 pumpmaster.

I had one growing up.... my 8 year old son just his yesterday from Santa.
We haven’t had time to try it out yet. Maybe later today.

My first was the Crosman M1 carbine replica. It was bb and was cocked by pushing the barrel in and pulling it out. It had a poppet valve setup. I had the wood stock model. It went to plastic stock after that. I still have a plastic stock version. The pic is not mine but a web shot. ACF6CC0.jpg

When I was a kid I kept asking my dad for a pellet gun. My unkle, his youngest brother had one. When I was 8 for Christmas I saw a box about the size of a rifle and was very exited to open it. Of course my dad doled out which gifts were opened first and the socks and long John's were all opened first. Finally after breakfast (my dad torturing me) let me open the long box. Was it the pellet gun?
Nope. A Remington 581. 40 years later and I still have it.

I did this with my son.....army blankets and army men too!

A wool army blanket folded twice (4 layers) makes a great backstop for lead pellets......not so much for copper bbs. Ask me how I know!
Must have been a newer blanket. Or maybe not enough musty on it!

Back
Top Bottom