Red Dots on Glock Slides

Ive been thinking about getting a red dot compatible slide for a Glock 19, gen 3. Im open to almost any configuration as long as its not crazy expensive, though id like to make it efficient: im willing to pay a little more if i get a little more. It looks like my basic options are the rmr, burris fastfire, and the vortex options. What slides have you chosen and what optics have you paired with them?

I recently put a Trijicon RMR on a Steyr and I honestly don't feel like bothering with regular pistol sights anymore.

Brownells slides are probably the best bang for your buck. Great quality, relatively basic looking but work great.
I put on a Trijicon RM06 and it’s been awesome so far.
Whichever way you go make sure to check reviews. There’s a lot of companies making slides now and several have continuous problems with out of spec areas such as the rails and recoil spring housing.
C907B007-C23F-4997-BFE4-9FE42A8BB116.jpeg1A4CE44F-6291-4F7E-B5BE-BF432BA45C3D.jpeg

I have Vortex Viper on a m&p 9 and recently bought a 19 slide that’s cut for both a RMR and a Deltapoint Pro. No qualms with the Vortex but want something that can take more abuse for carry. The RMR and the DP Pro both have attributes I like but I’m leaning more RMR at this point.

Holosun makes a good optic that fits on the RMR plate, I think.

My preferred choice for a MOS Glock is a Shield RMSc with an ultra slim mounting plate. If the sight doesn't sit low enough on the slide I spend all day looking for the dot. The slim plate helps this tremendously.

I've also had Glock slides milled which is even better.

Brownells slides are probably the best bang for your buck. Great quality, relatively basic looking but work great.
I put on a Trijicon RM06 and it’s been awesome so far.
Whichever way you go make sure to check reviews. There’s a lot of companies making slides now and several have continuous problems with out of spec areas such as the rails and recoil spring housing.
View attachment 354915View attachment 354916

Is that the Brownells slide?

I purchased a G17 MOS upper (already owned the G17) here in the NES classifieds. Put a Vortex Venom on it. Use it in carry optics division of IDPA...no complaints.
The venom has been my first choice up until now, but it looks like its out if stock everywhere. I wonder if its discontinued or something?

I have an RMR06 on my 19X and a Vortex Venom on my G40.

I have used a bunch of dots on handguns, and on a gun I would use to defend my life with, RMR/SRO/DPP/ACRO. On a gun for plinking or hunting, I like the Vortex. It has a bigger, clearer window with a crisper dot. The RMR is useful for shooting with nightvision, the Vortex does not dim enough to be useful.

I have run RMR's on almost everything for the past three years. I've run them on Glock slides cut specifically for the RMR and on MOS slides.
I haven't had any problems with MOS screws snapping or backing off (but I also properly torque, threadlock, and mark my screws) but prefer a milled slide for proper thread engagement and mounting height on a defensive pistol.
I have two SRO's, Holosuns, and a DPP also.
RMR's and Holosuns are good to go for basically any application (defense/range/competition). It wins for durability and battery life.
Not a fan of the DPP (it's tall and i don't like the controls)
The SRO is awesome and put one on my USPSA G34 in November (was using an RMR for the past two years), but not a "duty" optic.

For those with MOS slides, these seem to be all the rage on the social medias.

For those with MOS slides, these seem to be all the rage on the social medias.

I have a V3 on my Gen4 G34 MOS. They are releasing a V4 (which has threaded inserts) and doing a $30 upgrade for any previous versions.
It's a good concept, but I haven't any problems with any of the plates on the the MOS slides i've used over well over 10k rounds a piece.

Unfortunately the MOS slide doesnt seem to be available for the gen 3, which I am committed to, otherwise that would be my first choice.

Forgot to mention that this slide will live next to my bed and be my primary home defender for the foreseeable future. There is a rare occasion I will carry it too.

If you're going to use this as a defensive pistol, I'd say go with the RMR.

Unfortunately the MOS slide doesnt seem to be available for the gen 3, which I am committed to, otherwise that would be my first choice.

Forgot to mention that this slide will live next to my bed and be my primary home defender for the foreseeable future. There is a rare occasion I will carry it too.

I am trying to do this efficiently, which is challenging. Im leaning toward one of the vortex options but most of the conpatible slides are sort of expensive. The RMR slides seem to be a little cheaper and straightforward but the optic is a good but more expensive.

Has anyone mounted an optic into the rear sight dovetail?

Sorry for the double post.

I am trying to do this efficiently, which is challenging. Im leaning toward one of the vortex options but most of the conpatible slides are sort of expensive. The RMR slides seem to be a little cheaper and straightforward but the optic is a good but more expensive.

The RMR on my Steyr sits in a mount in the rear sight dovetail because there's not enough metal to actually machine the slide. If you go that route, you also need a suppressor-height front sight.

I you are looking to save a little money would still get an RMR cut slide and mount a Holosun.

I don't like the idea of an RDS mount in a dovetail for a self defense gun. It's a physically sub-optimal solution.

Uses RMR cut.

Uses RMR cut.

From the same people that brought us the flugaloo...

I have a V3 on my Gen4 G34 MOS. They are releasing a V4 (which has threaded inserts) and doing a $30 upgrade for any previous versions.
It's a good concept, but I haven't any problems with any of the plates on the the MOS slides i've used over well over 10k rounds a piece.

I haven’t had any issues with my MOS plate and my red dot has seen few thousand rounds. However, I do like the fact that it provides a little better piece of mind considering that MOS screws are not too long to begin with.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but....

I have an RMR on an AR which I have been shooting hard for the last 5 years including three trips to Thunder Ranch and it is a BEAST. Fast to acquire, holds zero and still on the initial battery - WHICH I HAVE NEVER TURNED OFF!

Hitting mid fifties and getting tired of iron sights for the Glocks so am planning to switch over and will go RMR.

Put an RMR on my Gen 4 19 MOS, first time out my groups were half the size. If not said already plan on running suppressor height sights.

I have a Holosun 507c mounted in a Brownells G34 slide which is very nice. I also have a Burris FF3 mounted to an EGW plate that slides into the rear sight notch. That is not quite as nice, but at only $50 is considerably cheaper, and is very useable.

Put an RMR on my Gen 4 19 MOS, first time out my groups were half the size. If not said already plan on running suppressor height sights.

I wouldn’t bother with suppressed sights. Still have my Glock OEM sights installed. Even if the red dot fails you can still engage targets defensively. Save that $150, or spend it on ammo and hit me up when China virus is over and I will show you how free of charge.

I wouldn’t bother with suppressed sights. Still have my Glock OEM sights installed. Even if the red dot fails you can still engage targets defensively. Save that $150, or spend it on ammo and hit me up when China virus is over and I will show you how free of charge.
The reason I installed them was because on the draw it can be difficult to have the dot displayed. The factory sights are not tall enough to display through the glass.

From my experience, dot ghosting is a weapons mechanics issue. Shooters new to red dots prove that point over and over. Hand your red dotted handgun to a new red dot shooter and watch them move their heads trying to acquire it. At the end of the day, proper training reigns supreme.

Back
Top Bottom