Red Dot

Any one use Red Dot in 38, 357 or 45acp? If so can you give me some your favorite loads for these calibers using it?

I was just given a couple of pounds of Red Dot and have never used it before. I'm use to using W231 and Unique for these calibers so I'm wondering how it performs against these two powders.

I got it down to one powder; Accurate #5. Works well for 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP, and 357 magnum. No more running out of a particular powder mid stream of a caliber run. I also picked up an Accurate reloading manual for load data. I'd be interested in Red Dot performance as #5 is getting hard to get.

Last edited:
Any one use Red Dot in 38, 357 or 45acp? If so can you give me some your favorite loads for these calibers using it?

I was just given a couple of pounds of Red Dot and have never used it before. I'm use to using W231 and Unique for these calibers so I'm wondering how it performs against these two powders.

Red Dot Is a fast burning shotshell powder, but it works well in light loads for pistol also. The Lyman manual has all kinds of data using it.
I have used it in 38 spcl., 45acp, at around 2.7 for the 38, 3.5 G for the 45, and 6G in the 45colt for cowboy shoots was an old favorite.
Not suggested for the 357.

I use 5.0 grains of red dot behind a 230 gr plated bullet for .45 ACP. Makes for a nice stiff .45 load.

I'm playing with a load for .38 Special, but I think it may be a little too light for my likings.

I use 3.6 grains of red dot with a 125 grain sjhp for my light .38 target/plinking loads. I might try that .45 load too. Red dot seems to be pretty clean, easy to find, and not too expensive.

I use 3.6 grains of red dot with a 125 grain sjhp for my light .38 target/plinking loads. I might try that .45 load too. Red dot seems to be pretty clean, easy to find, and not too expensive.

I dunno about clean. Seems to blacken my 1911 pleanty good, but it comes off easy enugh. Its a fun load to shoot [smile]

I have been using Red Dot for .45 in USPSA. I currently use a 230grain lead round nose, mixed brass, Winchester Large pistol Primer, 4.4g red dot, and an OAL of 1.240. Works very well and makes major power factor, about 730-750fps on my chrono.

Red Dot was my pistol powder for years, including .38 Special, .40 and .45 ACP loads for action pistol. Even though I haven't loaded .38 in years and use other powders for the rest, I bought a pound of Red Dot "just in case."

It won't go bad, I'll eventually load some more .38's and "too much" is a myth spread by accountants, spouses and others intent on killing the buzz.....

4.3grs of Red Dot with Winchester large primers pushing a .45 Caliber 200 Grain Truncated cast bullet is real clean and accurate.

The .45 Caliber 200 Grain Truncated bullet has become my favorite it's like a cross between a H&G 68 Semi-Wadcutter and a RNFP.

Back
Top Bottom