• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

red dot vs. holographic vs. optical

Thinking about a scope for a Ruger 10/22 for range and plinking. I was thinking maybe a red dot or a holographic type sight or maybe just a regular optical scope 4x32 or something.

What I would really like is something like a 3x by 30mm for the slight magnification, and wider body for more light (dusk and dawn), without getting too big on the primary lens. I don't know of anything like that, at least in the sub-$100 zone.

Anyhow, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the red-dot vs. holographic sights?

Some contenders in reverse order, anyone have one of these?
Pentax Gameseeker HS20 Dot Scope
NcSTAR D4S
NcSTAR D4B
Tactical Micro Holographic Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Matte
Aimtech Sports Red & Green 4 Reticles Sight
Browning Buckmark Holographic Sight
TruGlo Holographic Red Dot Sight Red and Green 4-Pattern Reticle
BSA Optics Holographic Red Dot Sight 4 Reticle
BSA Optics BSA Pano Holographic Sight 4 Reticle
American Tactical Imports Tactical Electro-Dot Sight Red/Green Fou
Landmark Yukon Sightmark Holographic Reflex Sight-Matte Black
Osprey Compact Multi - reticle Reflex Sight
Sightmark SM13005 Sightmark Ultra Shot Holographic Sight
AimSHOT Holographic Sight HG-M2

from here

A couple guidelines:
Probably 75 yards and less 90% of the time
I wear glasses
I would use this in mornings and evenings, as well as daylight
For paper targets, cans, and some hunting

Last edited:
The only true holo is the eotech//bushnell, the rest are red dots. none that you listed are Holos. And the difference when shooing is basically zero if they both are quality

The problem with cheap red dots is they wash out in the bright sun and have parallax issues. But some of the better cheap ones are primaryarms, so take a look at those first.

How about something like this?

AimSHOT Holographic Sight HG-M2
596627825.jpg

Or this?
BSA PANORAMIC RD W/ MLT RETFT BX
pimages_BSAPMRS_1__52243_zoom.jpg

BSA Optics Panoramic Multi-Purpose Sighting System Red Dot Black Panoramic Sight w/ Weaver Style Mnt, 7-pos rheostat adjust. for brightness, Multiple Reticles PMRS

Yes, that was what I meant by the third option, "optical scope".

I prefer red dots to the EOTech holographic sights that I've used. Personally, I think that a simple dot is more usable than the bigger, more obstructive reticle when you're at the range. I'm not sure of any advantages that the holographic sights give you over a red dot outside of a combat application, but admittedly, I'm not the most knowledgeable person on that subject. What I do know is that I have a Primary Arms M3 and I love it.

Last edited:
I prefer red dots to the EOTech holographic sights that I've used. Personally, I think that a simple dot is more usable than a distracting reticle when you're at the range. I'm not sure of any advantages that the holographic sights give you over a red dot outside of a combat application, but admittedly, I'm not the most knowledgeable person on that subject. What I do know is that I have a Primary Arms M3 and I love it.

This is not combat. It is a .22.

I suspect most of the cheaper end red dots come out of the same factory in china, so I wouldn't worry to much on brand. Find one that has a life time warranty.

The multiple styles reticule will be nice if you don't know what style you will like. I prefer a simple single dot. others like a circle and dot

No accusations here, but everyone whom I've heard accuse the EOTech of having an "obstructive" reticle has only seen them in Modern Warfare. It's a 1 MOA ring, and with the dimming adjustment, it's not intrusive at all.

You're welcome to try out my 517 if you'd like.

No accusations here, but everyone whom I've heard accuse the EOTech of having an "obstructive" reticle has only seen them in Modern Warfare. It's a 1 MOA ring, and with the dimming adjustment, it's not intrusive at all.

Its a 65moa ring around a 1 moa dot

I have 2 of the Pentax reddots they are good for the price my only gripe is the limits of adjustability but its still fine. 1 is a spare I have hanging around if you wanted to try it I could probably send it your way.

Last edited:

Precisely.

I've shot with a couple of different EOTech sights, that's why I say they are obstructive. I'm not trying to say they suck, they just aren't for me. I'm sure they have plenty of purpose outside of plinking.

Today, I received my Primary Arms M3 red dot. I can't give a personal opinion yet but heard these are the best of the cheap RDS's. Taking it out for a spin this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was fooling around with an eotech the other day and now want one badly, beats out most red dots I've seen. I here Bushnell puts out(or its by eotech for Bushnell I forget) a true holographic sight a lil more friendly on the pocket of an average Joe. I guess they dump some of the millspec features that the eotech has (metal frame,water resistance) in order to offer a good optic at a softer price. Eotech might be overkill on a .22 but if you got the cash go ahead!

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

I was fooling around with an eotech the other day and now want one badly, beats out most red dots I've seen.

Have you played around with aimpoints at all? I've always been faster with the eotech , but I like the battery life (and legendary ruggedness) of my aimpoint micro.

My soviet PK-23's battery has lasted longer than 2 123 batteries in my Eotech XPS-2. And I shoot the PK-23 more often.

Modern battery circuitry my ass.

go with a cheap red dot over a "true" holo sight. If it holds zero and doesn't burn out on you fast, you'll be happy. I've found that "less shit" in the optic allows for quicker precision aiming. That's why the aimpoint is staying on my bullpup- it's not meant for shooting things too far away. It's a busy optic.

Last edited:
A really outstanding price wise Red dot is from Primary arms out of TX https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-07.htm I own two of there Micro dots on my AR and ran them at a Sig arms LE carbine class shot well over 700rds and not one issue with them. And outstanding customer service!!

How do you like the clarity of the glass? Is the glass really blue? I ask because all of the video reviews I've seen the glass is really blue, almost annoying. One of my ARs have the multi reticle AImpoint clone and the glass is extremely clean. I was hoping for that sort of clarity but seeing the reviews and the amount of blue, I'm questioning buying one.

I use an Aimpoint ML3 w/ 3X Burris and LT mounts on one rifle, another has a EOTech 512. I like them both and use them interchangeably.

How do you like the clarity of the glass? Is the glass really blue? I ask because all of the video reviews I've seen the glass is really blue, almost annoying. One of my ARs have the multi reticle AImpoint clone and the glass is extremely clean. I was hoping for that sort of clarity but seeing the reviews and the amount of blue, I'm questioning buying one.
I have the m3, It's not as clear as an aimpoint but it's no where near the price either. It holds zero and for the money it's good. Which clone are you using?

OK. What is the difference between the red dots that have a barrel and look like a scope, and the ones which are like a frame with a piece of plastic in them? By this, I mean, how do they work (mechanically/optically), as well as how do they perform in dark and in bright conditions? What are the ups and downs to each style? I used to see more of the ones with the frame, but those seem to not be so trendy lately. Is there a reason? Are they more fragile? I guess the ones with the barrel have some magnification, so that may be my answer. Can anyone confirm? That might help for me, as my vision is not as great as it used to be. But, then again, this is a .22, and the range is pretty much within my vision's range anyhow, which I think I said was 75 yards or less.

Today, I received my Primary Arms M3 red dot. I can't give a personal opinion yet but heard these are the best of the cheap RDS's. Taking it out for a spin this weekend!

Have a link?

A really outstanding price wise Red dot is from Primary arms out of TX https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-07.htm I own two of there Micro dots on my AR and ran them at a Sig arms LE carbine class shot well over 700rds and not one issue with them. And outstanding customer service!!

Um, is this the same one you have, Minininjer?

I use an Aimpoint ML3 w/ 3X Burris and LT mounts on one rifle, another has a EOTech 512. I like them both and use them interchangeably.

On a .22?

Back
Top Bottom