Red dot sight advice needed

JackO

Instructor
I'm looking for a new red dot sight for my S&W Model 41. Looked at UltraDot, Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco, Adco. My budget is within $150 (can be a liitle bit more if needed).

I have no experience using red dot scopes. Will use the scope for target shooting only. Any suggestions on the brand and also on the size of the dot (shooting at 50 ft). Any use for a "4 reticle" options on some sights?

Also, any thoughts on red dot sights vs holographic sights for target shooting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

I'm looking for a new red dot sight for my S&W Model 41. Looked at UltraDot, Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco, Adco. My budget is within $150 (can be a liitle bit more if needed).

I have no experience using red dot scopes. Will use the scope for target shooting only. Any suggestions on the brand and also on the size of the dot (shooting at 50 ft). Any use for a "4 reticle" options on some sights?

Jack

Jack

GTOShootr,

Thank you for the link.

From your personal experience, which one did you like better, one inch or 30mm? Does 30mm scope give significantly larger field of view? Is the extra bulk of a larger diameter unit really worth the the advantages it gives?

Jack

GTOShootr,

Thank you for the link.

From your personal experience, which one did you like better, one inch or 30mm? Does 30mm scope give significantly larger field of view? Is the extra bulk of a larger diameter unit really worth the the advantages it gives?

Jack

GTOShootr,

Thank you for the link.

Jack

I don't have the 1in anymore, I sold it with my Model 41 (needed to fund other projects). I stuck the 30mm on my 10/22 and it is great. I did try the 30mm on the Model 41 for a while and there was no perceivable difference in weight. I like the 30mm because I could shoot with both eyes open easier, although the knobs give a cluttered sight picture compared to a non-tube sight.

This is from Larrysguns.com UltraDot FAQ:
Q: Which sight is best for me?
A: Although sight selection is a very individual thing, as a general rule single dot sights are better for precision shooting and multi-dot sights are more versatile for multiple disciplines. 1" tubes are adequate for non-action type shooting. Larger tubes give a larger field of view for action type shooting. Personal preference is of course the bottom line.

I don't have the 1in anymore, I sold it with my Model 41 (needed to fund other projects). I stuck the 30mm on my 10/22 and it is great. I did try the 30mm on the Model 41 for a while and there was no perceivable difference in weight. I like the 30mm because I could shoot with both eyes open easier, although the knobs give a cluttered sight picture compared to a non-tube sight.

A: Although sight selection is a very individual thing, as a general rule single dot sights are better for precision shooting and multi-dot sights are more versatile for multiple disciplines. 1" tubes are adequate for non-action type shooting. Larger tubes give a larger field of view for action type shooting. Personal preference is of course the bottom line.

Go with the 30 mm UltraDot - you won't be sorry. Have used mine for Bullseye competition for a few years - never had a problem. It gets banged around and keeps on ticking. In fact, I think it is still running off the original battery!

KK

Go with the 30 mm UltraDot - you won't be sorry. Have used mine for Bullseye competition for a few years - never had a problem. It gets banged around and keeps on ticking. In fact, I think it is still running off the original battery!

KK

KK

I would recomend the UD1, the one inch is a bit better for gallery shooting since the 22 recoil will keep you on the dot, the 30mm is OK but you might pick up the targets on either side of yours in some ranges. They run $130 with the rings and all the stuff with a new battery. Greg Derr

I would recomend the UD1, the one inch is a bit better for gallery shooting since the 22 recoil will keep you on the dot, the 30mm is OK but you might pick up the targets on either side of yours in some ranges. They run $130 with the rings and all the stuff with a new battery. Greg Derr

Back
Top Bottom