red dot scopes

Hey guys I'm looking into getting my first red dot for my sks. Its been kinda hard to find reviews on affordable ones that can be found in local shops or big box stores. So I'm hoping for some recommendations on a couple of sights and where I can find them.

For range use, folks seem to like Primary Arms, up from there is Vortex and again to Aimpoint...Affordable means different things to different people. Generally with a red dot, the more you spend, the more you get. If durability and/or reliability is in your desires, go for an Aimpoint...

would be more productive if people just listed what is in their opinion is affordable and reliable

I personally interested myself in getting one, but reliability review on cheap ones are too scattered usually and return/replace is PITA and expense i'm not inclined to deal with.

For me inexpensive means ~$50, +/- either way.

To those wanting to argue in favor of Aimpoint or EOTech please save your breath (with all due respect). I've heard all of it before and not looking to drop that much money on red dot/holo

Last edited:
Primary Arms if you want something cheap that isn't a POS.

Not sure why you would want to put a red dot on an SKS though, unless your rifle has already been fudded out or something.

-Mike

I have a cheap Leapers red/green dot that I got from Carolina Shooters for about $35. I don't think they carry them anymore, but I have fired hundreds of rounds through one of my Saigas with it, and it has held zero perfectly.

On the other hand, I bought a $30 (no name) holographic red/green dot off ebay, that was impossible to zero, and the light blinked off every time I pulled the trigger. Total POS.

I wouldn't put a red dot on my SKS either, but if I were going to, I'd probably go with a cheap Leapers, or TruGlo.

Someday I would love to put an Aimpoint on one of my rifles, but that's gonna be a while.

I have both ends of the spectrum on 2 of my ARs. On the 15-22 I run the Primary Arms Aimpoint M4 clone and it is fantastic for that application and has always held zero perfectly, in fact it turned that thing into a laser gun practically! I can hit anything down to shotshell, or golfball size offhand with ease at 50-75 yds., and sometimes more. For the 5.56 I run a Eotech 512 on a Larue QR mount, and that is also a fantastic sight, but obviously A LOT more spendy. Any of the gun forums that I belong to all recommend the Primary Arms sights as being the best of the budget sights, and I tend to agree. If I was on a tight budget (which I am most of the time for stuff like this) I would look no further than PA, and if you want to use it on more than 1 gun, they offer "bundles" which include a QR mount so it is easy to swap.

would be more productive if people just listed what is in their opinion is affordable and reliable

I personally interested myself in getting one, but reliability review on cheap ones are too scattered usually and return/replace is PITA and expense i'm not inclined to deal with.

To those wanting to argue in favor of Aimpoint or EOTech please save your breath (with all due respect). I've heard all of it before and not looking to drop that much money on red dot/holo

And we should give a shit why? No one cares that you use cheap optics. The OP listed his desires as "affordable"...What does that mean? $50.00? $100.00? $200.00? - More? It's hard enough to give advice to vague inquiries without nonsense posts like yours chiding us for not tailoring a reply that suits you - when you weren't the OP to begin with...So take your sub $50.00 red dot and have yourself a time...[wave]

I have an Aimpoint PRO. I got it because it was just as affordable as an Eotech but the battery life was significantly better. You can actually leave his one on for 3 years straight with out changing the battery. The PRO package comes with covers and the factory return to zero mount and can be had for around $350 if you look real hard.

#BTWIFAILATREADINGCOMPREHENSION

And we should give a shit why? No one cares that you use cheap optics. The OP listed his desires as "affordable"...What does that mean? $50.00? $100.00? $200.00? - More? It's hard enough to give advice to vague inquiries without nonsense posts like yours chiding us for not tailoring a reply that suits you - when you weren't the OP to begin with...So take your sub $50.00 red dot and have yourself a time...[wave]

[smile] [rofl] [laugh2]
your opinion really matters... please continue to hold for next available representative...

For range use, folks seem to like Primary Arms, up from there is Vortex and again to Aimpoint...Affordable means different things to different people. Generally with a red dot, the more you spend, the more you get. If durability and/or reliability is in your desires, go for an Aimpoint...

This, the primary arms is good for the cost, but the dot is not that bright as better (more expensive) dots. The faster you shoot and transition from target to target, the more important the brightness becomes. The PA are bright enough for plinking, but not bright enough for steel challenge or action shooting. Some of the cheaper dots like BSA will wash out in the bright sun

The Bushnell TRS-25 has gotten some good reviews given its price, and is less than $100 shipped. I had previously never used a red dot (so I can't give any comparisons), and just got one for a handgun and it has been fun so far. No problem seeing the dot on a bright day, even against a florescent pink steel target (it goes up to 11! [wink] ).

I like the Trijicon RX-30 and RX-34 iirc

The 30 is a 6.5moa and 34 is a 4 moa again iirc

I have a RX-30 on my sons S&W 15-22 and one on my Mossberg 590A1

No batteries, Tritium gas lamps, Fiber-Optic daytime

I like the Trijicon RX-30 and RX-34 iirc

The 30 is a 6.5moa and 34 is a 4 moa again iirc

I have a RX-30 on my sons S&W 15-22 and one on my Mossberg 590A1

No batteries, Tritium gas lamps, Fiber-Optic daytime

Those are sweet, but I bet they aren't in the budget category.

Primary Arms if you want something cheap that isn't a POS.

Not sure why you would want to put a red dot on an SKS though, unless your rifle has already been fudded out or something.

-Mike

My sks is in a tapco intrafuse stock now and wanted to try some sights on it something decent from 50-100 sry for not specifying that sooner.

My theory was, the cheapest scope I ever bought cost me the most. More trips to the range to sight in, new rings, new mounts, and finally a new scope. Go with quality to begin with and you'll never have to redo it.

Back
Top Bottom