• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red dot recommendations for shotgun

napoleon1815

NES Member
Hey all,

New to red dots...looking for something for my versa max shotgun. I am lost and would appreciate any suggestions. Not worried about price (yet) but I want something decent and not a $80 version. Also, I see some are "made for shotguns"...not sure if that's a marketing ploy or does the recoil of shotgun require it? Thanks.

i love my bushnell TRS-25 RDS. it's ~$80 and works so well. I have never run one on a shotgun but i can't see why it wouldn't work well.

Last edited:
What do you want to accomplish with this? I would suggest the Dead Ringer sight system over a red dot on a shotgun: http://deadringerhunting.com/shotgun-products/

I'm left eye dominant and do much better with a dot on my rifles and slug gun.

I have use Tasco ProPoint and Bushnell Trophy and have had no problems. Haven't tried the Sightmark or Bushnell Holosight yet, as those are on my ARs, but they say recoil is not a problem.

Get one with enough brightness adjustment for sunny weather, that is my biggest problem with the dots. And I prefer a 3-5 minute dot, smaller I can't pick up as quick and bigger blocks too much of the target at distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the Burris speedbead set up on my 870. Worked well enough and held zero (I could hit a 6" plate @75 yards with consistantly enough with slugs to hunt). It worked fine. I sold it to upgrade some other rifles. I still have my tasco propoint from the 90s. It has held up to dropping and repeated abuse and mounted to just about every firearm I own at one point. I put 3 batteries in it in 15 yrs....
Try as many as you can.

I haven't heard any reviews of them being used on shotguns, but for short money Primary Arms red dots are worth checking out.

Don't.

One man's opinion. You don't aim a shotgun as much as you do point it. The way the gun fits you is the most important aspect.

I have an old Levefer SxS that just naturally hits where I look. YMMV.

Good luck.

Don't.

One man's opinion. You don't aim a shotgun as much as you do point it. The way the gun fits you is the most important aspect.

I have an old Levefer SxS that just naturally hits where I look. YMMV.

Good luck.

I completely agree with this but Slugs are a different story when all you have is a bead.

I put a Bushnell "Holosight" on my Remington 1100. It had a built in saddle mount and a great sight picture; large ring with a small dot for precision work. While sighting the 1100 in with light slug loads the sight fell apart. The rear of the sight that contained the batteries broke off and I got them in the forehead. Bushnell CS was no help. Do not buy this sight.

Yep, definitely has to say it can handle recoil from slugs. My holosight is great on my ar, my propoint will stay on the shotty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom