Red Dot Recommendation

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
I want to put a red dot sight on my S&W Victory 22, but I'm a level 10 skinflint. Any recommendations for a decent affordable red dot? I'm just an informal target shooter/plinker.
I'd spend up to $150 ish, but I'd happily spend less.

You could probably pick up a used Vortex Venom in that range. I had one and it was a good red dot. I switched out for a Leupold and then switched that out for an SRO, but it was a good piece.

I've been in the same boat for a 22-45 lite that I recently acquired. As much as I would like a vortex venom or something along the likes I just can't fathom spending that much.

I want to put a red dot sight on my S&W Victory 22, but I'm a level 10 skinflint. Any recommendations for a decent affordable red dot? I'm just an informal target shooter/plinker.
I'd spend up to $150 ish, but I'd happily spend less.

That's a tough budget for a solid pistol red dot, as most budget models either suffer from inability to hold zero or are otherwise untested on a large scale due to them being less popular. I'm actually testing a $150. Truglo 3MOA TG8100B right now, but haven't had a lot of time with it yet because of the lockdown. Has a noticeable blue hue to it (like a gradient), but that's to be expected at this price point. It also doesn't use RMR pattern. Something odd that may require a plate. My gut reaction is to tell you to save a pinch more and go Vortex, as this one is largely untested.

I picked up a Sig Romeo SOR52001 on Amazon a few months back for $120. Awesome sight.

I've got 2 Romeo's. What model? I forget. The cheap one. LOL. Work well. Simple to operate. Shocking how much this industry has improved in the last 20 years. I had a somethingorother years ago. I still have it. Need to dig it out and replace the batteries. Reflex-type sight, I think. You shut it off with a hood over the whole shebang. Like falconry or something. Which made it useless for antyihg tack-tickle.

I've got 2 Romeo's. What model? I forget. The cheap one. LOL. Work well. Simple to operate. Shocking how much this industry has improved in the last 20 years. I had a somethingorother years ago. I still have it. Need to dig it out and replace the batteries. Reflex-type sight, I think. You shut it off with a hood over the whole shebang. Like falconry or something. Which made it useless for antyihg tack-tickle.
I also have an Aimpoint PRO, which is awesome and built like a tank. But it's 3x the price (or more). For the money, the Sig is a much better buy...

You could probably pick up a used Vortex Venom in that range. I had one and it was a good red dot. I switched out for a Leupold and then switched that out for an SRO, but it was a good piece.

I would just pick up a Primary Arms Advanced micro with push buttons for a .22 plinker.

ETA didnt realize it was a handgun. Like others have said vortex venom, Burris fast fire or a PA micro reflex if you can find them.

Another vote -- two, actually -- for the Vortex Ve

Fourth vote for the venom. I won my clubs raffle for a TP(SFX with a venom red dot, first red dot I have tried, and I love it. Stupid accurate.

The one gripe I have is the battery cap is not quite screwdriver width, nor does it have a good way to hold it to close it, so its difficult so close it hard enough. I had it shoot itsel open enough to not create contact with the battery.

Sent you a PM, I have a Burris FF3 that I just took off one of my guns that I'd sell.

Pretty sure at under $150, most options are Chinese manufactured red dots (Vortex, PA, Sig, Bushnell, etc). OP, increase the budget to $400+ and support Trijicon.
If I was competing and I had a Smith 41 or similar I probably would. But I'm just trying to get back into offhand target shape without needing glasses to see the front sight on my plinking gun.

I've had a Burris TRS25 for about 10years on 2 guns. Both of which I used to shoot in a local .22 on steel league. Its small, simple and cheap. The quality of the dot is very good. You can turn it up high for fast shooting or very low for precise shooting.

They are about $100 new. I've seen them on ebay for next to nothing.

I've had a Burris TRS25 for about 10years on 2 guns. Both of which I used to shoot in a local .22 on steel league. Its small, simple and cheap. The quality of the dot is very good. You can turn it up high for fast shooting or very low for precise shooting.

They are about $100 new. I've seen them on ebay for next to nothing.

There was a time in 2019 when you could get the Bushnell TRS-25 on Amazon for around $50. Really bummed I didn't pick a couple up then. Haven't seen them for less than around $100 recently, though, unfortunately.

Romeo 5 ($140) on my Sig MCX Pistol. So far at 60 yds its great!
I didnt care for the price increase on the Romeo 5X (they really didnt change much) I think they wanted $225

20200322_164136.jpg

The Vortex Venom is a great little optic. Just be aware that the dot has an orange tinge. Not a big deal for me (or most), but some dislike it. Definitely not a solid red like my RMR.

Sig Romeo 5 is the best I have ever used (and own)...Certain RD's will have a slight obstruction inside the lense that can get distracting. I have seen photos of certain Vortexs having this issue. Probably depends on the model though.

I just had this thread a couple of months ago. Optic for SW22 Victory

I ended up with the Bushnell TRS25. fit my "budget to use" ratio... that is, I'm not entering comps so I don't need a $600 optic.

also.. did you have issue with the safety that's common on the Victory's?

503A4C93-A740-428F-9915-31E07A1E2042.jpegA1D58B18-C37F-46E1-9504-49E9F7EC3120.jpeg

Precovid I would respect @edmorseiii scruples but this one was bought bce-Covid and I love it. I can’t envision anything better than the 2MOA dot with the 65MOA circle on an AR9 or any AR pistol for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom