• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red dot on SD9VE

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
Has anyone mounted a red dot on a SD9VE? If so, what are my options? Mounting plate vs having a smith mill it?
I may buy something optics ready but this is what I have at the moment and I want to know my options.
Michael

Lol. I actually like them. Got one on a whim years ago. Nice shooter.
Never considered a red dot though
I was at a gun show today peeps were asking 400

They arent worth that but 250 those are sweet shooters i like them better than m+ps

But lipstick on a pig comes to mind when talking about upgrades other than an apex kit

I was at a gun show today peeps were asking 400

They arent worth that but 250 those are sweet shooters i like them better than m+ps

But lipstick on a pig comes to mind when talking about upgrades other than an apex kit
Yeah I think I paid 250 or 275. Didn't realize they were 400. Isn't that glock territory in Florida?

I have an SW99. I removed the rear sight and made a mounting plate for a Bushnell mini red dot. This was about 6 or 7 years ago before it was common to have optics on other than target or hunting handguns.

I have one I bought about 10 or so years ago. Last I remember I put 3500 ish rounds through it with-out issue. I haven't used it in years. But for the 275$ I paid for it it was good value for the money. But yea lipstick on a pig.

The SD9VE is an excellent striker gun especially if one prefers an untensioned striker system (aka DAO). the magazine springs are reportedly a weak spot and tend to fatigue quickly.

In terms of red dot mounting, I would just have it milled for whatever sight youre using. The main issue with such projects are cost that is never recouped if the pistol is sold, but if it’s a carry gun who cares. I don’t use optics on my pistols So I can’t suggest where to send for milling although This has become commonplace so I’m sure you’ll find solid options. This topic has been hashed out on pistol-forum many times.

I had an SD9VE like 5+ years ago and sold because I was already committed to glocks and Berettas but I wish I kept it.

My buddy had one. Jesus..... what piece of shit. Jam o matic

He got sick of sending it back to Smith and Wesson and sold it for cheep money.....like 50 bucks if I remember
I've got one with a shit ton through it. Never a problem. But it's like an hk91 or ptr91. Glock 17 clone can have problems

I have one that I use for a ccw in the winter. Not sure how many rounds down it but it goes bang every time. It was only about $250 new so I don't care if it gets scratched. I looked at putting a red dot on it at one point but decided it was too much trouble and money.

If youre going to spend a couple hundred to get it milled you may as well buy a glock or sig with a factory cut. Unless you have some special attachment to the S&W

The SD9VE is an excellent striker gun especially if one prefers an untensioned striker system (aka DAO). the magazine springs are reportedly a weak spot and tend to fatigue quickly.
Lol, no, it's not. It's a recycled glock, done
Poorly. But there is a weird cult following of skinflints surrounding the guns (they lose value rapidly because of the shit trigger). The .40 SW model is often almost as popular as the 9mm. That should tell you all you need to know. If you get lucky you get one that isn't poorly qced and at least reliable. If you get unlucky you end up with a "Smegma Cancer" gun like whackos friend has. Some of them never stay running.

The only good thing about them is that they can be had on the cheap but even that's a tough buy at anything over $250.... You can get a Taurus G3 for like 3 hundo new and on average even that gun will make a Smegma look really bad.

Lol, no, it's not. It's a recycled glock, done
Poorly. But there is a weird cult following of skinflints surrounding the guns (they lose value rapidly because of the shit trigger). The .40 SW model is often almost as popular as the 9mm. That should tell you all you need to know. If you get lucky you get one that isn't poorly qced and at least reliable. If you get unlucky you end up with a "Smegma Cancer" gun like whackos friend has. Some of them never stay running.

The only good thing about them is that they can be had on the cheap but even that's a tough buy at anything over $250.... You can get a Taurus G3 for like 3 hundo new and on average even that gun will make a Smegma look really bad.

authoritative and inaccurate.

the SD9VE is not a recycled Glock. the sigma series was a Glock copy and a poorly built pistol. The SD9 series used a redesigned trigger bar sear mechanism. the striker is completely untensioned. The pistol has a trigger return spring unlike a Glock that uses the striker spring to carry out trigger resetting. the trigger bar articulates with a separate sear unlike a Glock where it’s all one piece. there are merits to the SD9VE compared to a fully tensioned - pivoting sear system of the M&P, but S&W was clearly under pressure to design their own system so as to avoid glocks financial punishment of them, and an untensioned striker like the SD9VE doesn’t lend itself to having a light short trigger pull. The M&P design does.

as a budget pistol the SD9VE is a favorite for armchair commandos to shit on. thats typical and uninformed. Those who own and use these pistols have overwhelmingly good experience and I’m not a S&W nor M&P fan.

authoritative and inaccurate.

the SD9VE is not a recycled Glock. the sigma series was a Glock copy and a poorly built pistol. The SD9 series used a redesigned trigger bar sear mechanism. the striker is completely untensioned. The pistol has a trigger return spring unlike a Glock that uses the striker spring to carry out trigger resetting. the trigger bar articulates with a separate sear unlike a Glock where it’s all one piece. there are merits to the SD9VE compared to a fully tensioned - pivoting sear system of the M&P, but S&W was clearly under pressure to design their own system so as to avoid glocks financial punishment of them, and an untensioned striker like the SD9VE doesn’t lend itself to having a light short trigger pull. The M&P design does.

as a budget pistol the SD9VE is a favorite for armchair commandos to shit on. thats typical and uninformed. Those who own and use these pistols have overwhelmingly good experience and I’m not a S&W nor M&P fan.

Lol, i will concede the VE is different (in the sense that the trigger can be repaired) but to most, its still basically a frosted Smegma. No "commando" here just handled, shot and dealt with them enough. The brain damage cult on these guns is pretty bad. Although not nearly as bad as the one on the mini 14. [rofl]

Also, at retail it is not a "budget pistol" The guns sell new at retail like $475-499. That's only 100 bucks less than a whole bunch of other way better guns. I don't get the hype over the VE. If i was a dealer id definitely sell them, though. The smith and 40 cultists seem to be drawn to them.

Also, at retail it is not a "budget pistol" The guns sell new at retail like $475-499.

who is paying $475 for an SD9VE? pre pandemic they were had for $275. Nowadays can easily be found for less than $350, max $400 for “fancy” colored FDE or black slide models

agreed they still serve little purpose when I can acquire a gen 5 G17 for only $200 more, but the value part of equation is there for the SD9.

who is paying $475 for an SD9VE?

pre pandemic they were had for $275. Nowadays can easily be found for less than $350, max $400 for “fancy” colored FDE or black slide models

agreed they still serve little purpose when I can acquire a gen 5 G17 for only $200 more, but the value part of equation is there for the SD9.

I said "at retail". PSA/Buds other shitf***er remote f***wit undercutter sites are not retail. Even Deli Ticket Emporium probably gets at least 450 bucks for a new one.

I wouldn't give someone more than $100 for one. Even that is pushing it. You show the people that gun at retail and 30% of them figure out its a POS without even shooting it. Some people are almost insulted that you showed it to them. That's why i never did unless the skinflint=yes flag was flying. [rofl]

I'm gonna put my two cents in here. You guys are missing some very important parts of the sd story. Remember, its still a sigma! That means there are pr-ban mags still available for both the 9mm and the 40. They are hard to come by but non the less, they can be found. For both guns if you look. You can't say that about the M&P. Yes the trigger sucks. buy a apex spring and trigger kit and your good to go. It greatly improves the the feel of the gun and it basically becomes a G19. There is other things that can be done to modify it as well. It's a GOOD gun.

Mike-

I'm not the type for optics on a pistol. When I relocated from MA to IL, I sold my SD9VE with Apex kit and used the cash towards a first-gen Canik TP9SA. The Apex kit did help with the SD9VE, but dag-nabbit, the Canik is a Rock Star. It's a tad large for my hands but it has been flawless. The Canik is like the honey badger .. it don't care. It eats everything I feed it. It runs clean, it runs dirty, runs wet, runs dry. At less than $400 (about 5 yrs ago), it out-Glocks Glock at a bargain price. And it didn't need a trigger upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom