Red dot on a carry pistol - worth it to mill a slide or nah?

It’s a meme bro, don’t take it too serious.

To answer your question though, yes I only use Surefire. I bought one Streamlight TLR-7 and it flickered under recoil, useless.
Wasn't taking it serious. I only run American made too and specifically Aimpoint and Trijicon. Maybe I'll join the Surefire party and treat myself to a X400 so my HK is China-free and can chuck the TLR-2HL.

I’m not impressed with Aimpoint’s pistol red dots. Surefire has been resting on its laurels. The TLR-7 is quite bright and incredibly small for its power. It gives me a heck of a lot of light out of a weapon mounted light that does not protrude beyond the muzzle of a Glock 19. Would I prefer to run a US made light? Sure, but I haven’t found one with the same packaging. X300 is fine for a house gun but too big to carry.

Last edited:
I spent a little bit of time behind a PSA Dagger with a Holoson, not sure of the model. It was a 6moa donut. I got to say, I was very impressed with the Dagger, especially for the price. Much more comfortable to shoot than the Glock gen4 and 5s. The trigger was good for a stock gun, and it was shockingly accurate, putting 2 out 3 shots on a 3" plate at 50 yards. The donut dot on the holosun made it surprisingly easy to hold on small targets and not need to aim with the top of the dot. While still being bright and easy to track at speed. But I don't think I would trade a solid 6moa for the donut.

America friend, is gud.
The Aimpoint chef’s kiss

512x288-Q90_2ab03ad4a89d81e978dc4023388e1c1a.jpg

So what's the secret to keeping lint, fuzz and dead skin out of the window of a holosun that's mounted on a carry pistol? Just deal with it? I saw some flannel-clad guy on the youtubes with a holster that had a little kydex flap that swung down to cover it but that seems... I don't know. Excessive. Do I just need to moisturize?

So what's the secret to keeping lint, fuzz and dead skin out of the window of a holosun that's mounted on a carry pistol? Just deal with it? I saw some flannel-clad guy on the youtubes with a holster that had a little kydex flap that swung down to cover it but that seems... I don't know. Excessive. Do I just need to moisturize?
secret:

Clean it off when it gets lint on it. A can of compressed air helps.

I've been using qtips (a lens pen didn't seem to do a great lop of lifting gunk off), just wondering if there's a better way. Might give the compressed air a shot too.

My problem with the holosun is the residual glue around the glass. The lint never comes off that. When I take it out of the safe in the morning I just blow on it real hard 😂

For a carry gun, there isn't a good solution. I keep a lens cloth and wipe mine periodically. For my range toys, I have dreamfinder covers, (as referenced in this thread by another poster). They work fine, (and I still have a lens cloth in my pocket in case). But, for a carry gun, you can't have the extra time to remove the cover. If you need the gun, you need the gun NOW.

My knapsack carry gun is a G31 with a 9mm conversion and a Trijicon RMR on it. The RMR is always on, and I wipe the glass down every couple of days.

I've used one of those camera lens bulb brushes on mine. Did it once in 4 months of daily carry.

Yeah, maybe I'm just ashy or linty or something, but when I focus on it the dust and stuff drives me nuts. I realize it's a non-issue though. With the gun at arm's length the green ring fills most of the window and I'm looking beyond the gun anyway.

I've been using qtips (a lens pen didn't seem to do a great lop of lifting gunk off), just wondering if there's a better way. Might give the compressed air a shot too.
I use my Garage Compressor.
I blow the crap out of all my carry guns, its amazing what collects in the nooks and crannies.

Back
Top Bottom