Red Dot Magnifier Recommendations/ Feedback Please

Hi All,

Been thinking about a red dot magnifier. Thinking I'd like to be able to flip it to the right side securely when I opt to use just the Red Dot.

Have read that the Vortex models standardly flip to the left, and though they can be changed to flip right, they will take up more rail space. Also if not changed to flip right (for right handed shooters) it can obstruct one's peripheral vision.

Saw a comparison of the Burris head to head with the Vortex, and it came out on top (though marginally). Burris comes with a quick release mount.

For cost savings, I've seen, but I do not know much about UTG or Omega Mfg; or other brands that may be competitive budget options.

Primary Arms has both a 3x gen III and 6x magnification models. For range work (my range is limited to 100 yd - would 3x be sufficient?).

Aimpoint or Eotech magnifiers have been touted as superior; some sources I have read say for magnifiers you can save some $ and go with the lesser cost models. YMMV

Your experience and (kind) input is appreciated in advance. Thank you!

~M-D

I would buy a cheap one to start. I ran an Eotech G33 on my Eotech XPS for a few months and, well, hated it. First, 3x+red dot by-in-large are heavy pieces and can crowd your receiver. Second, I would say for the $475 I spent on my G33, it tightened my groups up by about 3" at 200m...not worth the extra cost, weight, and mechanical object on my AR to break...A magnifier is NOT going to make your AR a precision gun.

Also, keep in mind that a 1 or 2 MOA dot looks very "dot" like at 1x, but can be exponentially skewed when magnified. My center 1MOA Eotech dot at 3x looked like a red slash- pretty annoying (not my eyes, either).

My opinion- buy a real cheap one or try one out. In my years of buying guns/optics, ive found there isnt a miracle pill when it comes to optics- stick to close in 1x, mid range (2-10x), or long range- the 3x magnifier does not do ANYTHING great, but EVERYTHING ok....That said, the Vortex strikefire comes with a screw on 3x multiplier that would get you in the ball game for not much coin.

Hi All,

Been thinking about a red dot magnifier. Thinking I'd like to be able to flip it to the right side securely when I opt to use just the Red Dot.

Have read that the Vortex models standardly flip to the left, and though they can be changed to flip right, they will take up more rail space. Also if not changed to flip right (for right handed shooters) it can obstruct one's peripheral vision.

Saw a comparison of the Burris head to head with the Vortex, and it came out on top (though marginally). Burris comes with a quick release mount.

For cost savings, I've seen, but I do not know much about UTG or Omega Mfg; or other brands that may be competitive budget options.

Primary Arms has both a 3x gen III and 6x magnification models. For range work (my range is limited to 100 yd - would 3x be sufficient?).

Aimpoint or Eotech magnifiers have been touted as superior; some sources I have read say for magnifiers you can save some $ and go with the lesser cost models. YMMV

Your experience and (kind) input is appreciated in advance. Thank you!

~M-D

I've been down this road. Buy once Cry once. This thread should help you - https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/274645-Aimpoint-PRO
Summary - it came down to my needs, All optics mounted on upper including BUIS, nothing hanging onto the rail. I was unable to do this in any configuration with aimpoint without the larue mounts. There are other ofsets but the best prices and combos were from larue.

I am all aimpoint on all larue mounts, love it and I would not go back for any reason.
http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-pro-patrol-rifle-optic-w-mount - cantilever lever
http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoi...tactical-qd-mount-lt602t-tall-or-lt602s-short - cantilever tall

I am of the opinion of buy once cry once as well. I own the trifecta of combat optics in a comp m4s, eotech exps3 and an acog. They are all mounted on different rifles for different uses, I have used all of these optics in active combat as an 11B and none of them have failed me once. The acog was traded for a pistol and the deals are out there if you look. I scored the comp m4s on DVOR for $500 new

edit: ..what i get for not reading. You're looking for magnifier opinions. My bad, haha.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get a magnifier at all if you're working at 100 yards... or even 200 yards. Unless you have eye issues. I like light guns. I run a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot, and do just fine. 2 moa dot. 200 yards is easy mode unless you can't see well. A magnifier is going to add decent weight with a flip to side mount, it's kind of a pain. We run them on our work rifles... except I'm in charge now, so I threw them in a box. They work great in the box. I've run fixed magnification scopes (acogs, Burris, etc), variables, and red dots. I keep coming back to red dots, because they do everything that I need at this point.

Thanks, guys! I have been using my red dot, but when I compare to some people at my range- my AR looks naked [wink] without a huge scope (or something else). Those with the scopes don't seem to use the spotting scope as much- so thought hmm, maybe I was missing something. Eyes are OK- thankfully. The lighter the better for me- just wasn't sure if I was missing out on some amazing piece of equipment. Appreciate the time you all took to enlighten me- thanks a bunch! [smile]

Another option is a low power variable scope, 1-4x or so. Most aren't true 1x, but they work very well in place of a red dot and then you have the option to bump up magnification if needed.

Thanks, guys! I have been using my red dot, but when I compare to some people at my range- my AR looks naked [wink] without a huge scope (or something else). Those with the scopes don't seem to use the spotting scope as much- so thought hmm, maybe I was missing something. Eyes are OK- thankfully. The lighter the better for me- just wasn't sure if I was missing out on some amazing piece of equipment. Appreciate the time you all took to enlighten me- thanks a bunch! [smile]

If you are just putting it on to see holes, or keep up with Joneses.... NYET. Aimpoint PRO, T1, Micro Dot, etc... is fine for what you want. imho. I run my AR with a tiny red dot, and a small light. That's it. If you start doing any classes with it, you'll appreciate it. I'd also get a wider padded sling to help distribute weight for you.

I bought a utg gen 5 3 X magnafier on Amazon for 65.99 free shipping with prime works great solid mount no wiggle and adjustable to line up the red dot

If you are just putting it on to see holes, or keep up with Joneses.... NYET. Aimpoint PRO, T1, Micro Dot, etc... is fine for what you want. imho. I run my AR with a tiny red dot, and a small light. That's it. If you start doing any classes with it, you'll appreciate it. I'd also get a wider padded sling to help distribute weight for you.

+ 1 ... pretty much all of this. I have vert grips on all of my rifles as well. I have a penchant for EoTechs. I've sold all my red dots (except one) in favor of Holos. I was getting sick of the comet flareup on my 3MOA optics. The only red dot I have now is a PA 30mm with a 1MOA dot that still works well on the lower settings as not to effect the way I see the dot.

I had an Aimpoint with a 3x magnifier. It was nice, but cumbersome and i didn't like seeing the black blob of the 3x in my peripheral when just using the red dot. Also the 3x didn't really give me enough magnification.
I replaced it with a 1-6 FFP and have no regrets. But the drawback to the 1-6 is it's a little slower then the flipping the 3x over, and even the best ones aren't a true 1x.

I have a Spitfire Vortex 3x prism scope for my sub 2k and like it a lot. It has offset mounts on top of the scope to attach a normal red dot to for close range. It also has both red and green illumination.

Back
Top Bottom