• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red Dot Height Suggestion

What height red dot should I get?

• Absolute

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • 1/3

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
I'm in the market for a new red dot. I've shot before using absolute and 1/3 and trying to figure out the pros/cons. Both worked and thus why I'm in such a predicament in choosing the height.

Help me out.

I only use full co-witness (on pistol and rifle), so I can't speak to anything else. But for me I feel it's important to strive for the same point of aim regardless of which sight you are using. I'm not a pro though, that's just what works for me.

IMHO lower third is usually a concession, most people don't intentionally pick it. You end up with lower third because you're doing something like an AK gas tube mount or
whatever... where it's impossible to get it any lower.

-Mike

I use lower 1/3 on red dots, absolute cowitness seems to low for my taste.

I think I like the idea of running one of these super tall mounts on my night gun, but I really need to spend some more time with my NV gear before I start changing stuff around prematurely.

ADM Aimpoint Micro NVG Height Mount

I use lower 1/3 on red dots, absolute cowitness seems to low for my taste.

I think I like the idea of running one of these super tall mounts on my night gun, but I really need to spend some more time with my NV gear before I start changing stuff around prematurely.

ADM Aimpoint Micro NVG Height Mount

I guess I was always just biased because of having flip up BUIS on 2 guns... if you flip them down and they're out of the way, etc...

of course NV stuff changes pretty much everything.... [laugh]

-Mike

Do you have other scopes that are on the regular ADM, LaRue, etc mounts? Then your cheek weld would be more consistent with absolute co-witness. The difference between the two is only ~0.17", but it's noticeable.

TL/DR: Whatever makes your neck more comfortable.

I use full co-witness on my carbine. I figure there's no real sense in purposefully setting it up so that the way I'm accustomed to mounting the rifle to my shoulder won't work if my red dot ever shits out.

I have front and back flip ups so I do an absolute cowitness. If I had a fixed front and flip rear I would do 1/3.

I’m thinking of getting a 1-4x scope though so I might have to change something.

I have front and back flip ups so I do an absolute cowitness. If I had a fixed front and flip rear I would do 1/3.

I’m thinking of getting a 1-4x scope though so I might have to change something.
This, I have a HK USC that is 1/3 because that is the best it can be. But otherwise I use absolute cowitness or a full BUIS elimination like on my rifle (CZ Bren) that has an LCO & D-EVO that I'm experimenting with.

LPVO's change everything. I run mine with a LT104, which I am pretty sure would be the same as an absolute cowitness, different from my desire for a lower 1/3 for a red dot.

Different applications, different uses.

I know I am going to get hate for this, but if it’s red dot and lpvo shooting you should consider the 1.93 or 2.04 height mounts. I originally went that route for night vision purposes and it quickly became apparent that the heads up position is a far more comfortable and effective way to shoot. Cheek weld really isn’t sacrificed that much and you can stay on the gun longer. Any HOB issues are trained out quickly.

If not, 1/3.

I know I am going to get hate for this, but if it’s red dot and lpvo shooting you should consider the 1.93 or 2.04 height mounts. I originally went that route for night vision purposes and it quickly became apparent that the heads up position is a far more comfortable and effective way to shoot. Cheek weld really isn’t sacrificed that much and you can stay on the gun longer. Any HOB issues are trained out quickly.

If not, 1/3.

Yea, it's tough to hate on someone that has and uses NV properly, props.

As to what I did. I went with absolute. Primary Arms had their FDE Advanced RedDot Micro in stock so I jumped on it. I have it mounted and have yet to zero it and the BUIS.

I was going to say absolute cowitness is the way to go..But recently with my NV/thermal setups i was thinking 1/3 cowitness would be alot more functional.As it stands now with absolute cowitness the bottom 1/3,1/4 of my optic is occupied by a blurr or shadow of my laser/illuminator. I tried running them on the side or bottem rail. But it seems like more of a compromise than just getting used to and looking past the sight obstruction..especially with the thermal... in the right temperature the obstruction not seem as bad.

Back
Top Bottom