Red Dot for 22 target Pistol

Have a Model 41 and want to put a red dot on it for club league. What is everyone using out there? Naturally I want the smallest, lightest, bestest, cheapest red dot. Suggestion/ Why/ Pros vs Cons?

The Ultradot Matchdot is a 30mm unit. The standard Ultradot 1" model with a single size dot will do just fine. I have 3 or 4 of them for various pistol I shoot matches with.

Bob

So I am picking up a S&W Performance Center Model 41 this afternoon. I am planning on using it to compete at some point.

So not sure which red dot to get.

I've been researching and have come down to the following 2. just looking to see what the majority thinks would be the best...

The Ultradot Matchdot 2 Red Dot Sight MD2 is lesser expensive and heavier. Single dot with 4 MOA settings...2, 4, 6 and 8 plus a circle reticle...

Ultradot Matchdot 2 Red Dot Sight MD2, Color: Black, 19% Off — Free Two Day Shipping

Then there is the
EOTech EXPS 3 Holographic Red Dot Sight. So more expensive but way smaller lighter. Not as many brightness level but the dot, double dot and circle reticle.

EOTech EXPS 3 Holographic Red Dot Sight, Color: Tan, Black, Battery Type: CR123A, Up to $60.00 Off Plus Coupon Available w/ Free Shipping — 5 models

If it's going to be used for competition, the tube type is faster on target and still works as a sighting device even if it fails.
For plinking, it matters less.
Although, until you get used to a dot sight, the dot can be hard to find.
Unless the gun is well pointed to the target, the dot has a tendency to disappear off screen.
So, in the final analysis, get the one that is easiest for you to use.
And, in bright daylight, green is easier to see than red for most folks.

If it's going to be used for competition, the tube type is faster on target and still works as a sighting device even if it fails.
For plinking, it matters less.
Although, until you get used to a dot sight, the dot can be hard to find.
Unless the gun is well pointed to the target, the dot has a tendency to disappear off screen.
So, in the final analysis, get the one that is easiest for you to use.
And, in bright daylight, green is easier to see than red for most folks.

thank you.

thank you.

Don’t put one of those on a .22, never heard of the MatchDot but the Eotech is a rifle RDS.

Not sure what the top competition ones are but I have a Trijicon RMR, and have used a Sig Romeo1 and Leupold Delta Point Pro. There’s also the Vortex one for less money.

I am a covert to the Church of the Dot, it’s amazing. Just don’t put a 12 oz Eotech on a .22 when the handgun ones are like a tenth that...

Last edited:
I only started shooting bullseye winter league this past year (just had our first match of this season Monday) but I’ve had the following setup for almost 10 years:
5.5” bull barrel stainless MKIII with Volquartsen sear and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. Arguably a beginner’s gun, but I spend a lot more time and effort on IDPA/ Steel stuff so when I was invited to shoot bullseye for one of clubs I figured hey, it’s good practice for strong hand only shooting. ;)
Shot a 264 Monday night which is nothing to brag about but it’s a personal best!

Back
Top Bottom