• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red Dot and 125gr 9mm cast.

I actually didn't expect a response from Alliant when I sent them this question.

Can you give me a load using Red Dot with 125gr 9mm cast?

Response...

I suggest from 3.8 to 4.2 grs. Thanks for your note and have a nice day.

Ben Amonette
Consumer Service Manager
Alliant Powder Company

I have 8 pounds of Red Dot and couldn't find any 125gr cast loads using Red Dot when I sent this question a while ago.

Evidently you can use Red Dot for alot more calibers than you would think. I'm already using it for 45acp, 38 and 357..

At $96.00 for 8 pounds it's a bargain..

Last edited:
I have used Alliants PROMO which supposedly has the same burn rate as Red Dot. 3.8 fr. promo with 124 gr. JHP's gave me ca. 1050 fps. At $75/8lbs. Promo was even a better bargain than Red Dot.

The problem with Red Dot in a 9mm case is that it doesn't necessarily meter well through a powder measure at that small amount.

Let us know how accurately you are able to fill cases.

You should try to aim for +/-.1 grain. So, for that starting load, try to hold 3.7 to 3.9 grains, with the majority of 20+ measurements in a row at 3.8 grains. Let us know how that goes. I have tons of Red Dot.

I loaded 20 last night on my Hornady LnL every single one of them was 3.8grs if they shoot as well as they load I'll be happy.

I tried Unique and Clays Universal in the past and didn't like those powders. Unique fills the case way to much and I didn't feel comfortable compressing the bullet that much and the Universal is real grainy and hard to see because of it's color.

I had disappointing results (wrt accuracy) with Red Dot and 125gr lead bullets in 9mm. I don't remember the exact charge weight, but I think it was in the ballpark with Alliant's recommendation (I got my load from Ken Waters's Pet Loads).

Part of it was the bullet. I was using some bullets that had a much rounder, blunter nose than the typical 9mm bullet. I had to load these shorter than usual to avoid the bullet contacting the rifling when it was chambered.

Back
Top Bottom