Recruit Has A Bad Day At the Range

boston_007

NES Member
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080514/NEWS/805140365

Police recruit accidentally shoots himself at North Dartmouth firing range
Text Size: A | A | A
Print this Article Email this Article ShareThis
By Brian Fraga
Standard-Times staff writer
May 14, 2008 6:00 AM
NEW BEDFORD — A police recruit accidentally shot himself Monday during live-fire training at the New Bedford Police Department's shooting range on Woodcock Road in North Dartmouth.

The student officer from the Marshfield Police Department was placing his department-issued firearm in his holster when the weapon accidentally discharged, said Terrel Harris, a spokesman for the state Executive Office of Public Safety.

The bullet entered the recruit's upper thigh and lodged in his lower leg, officials said.

The recruit was taken by ambulance to St. Luke's Hospital, where he was admitted overnight. Mr. Harris said the recruit's injuries were not life-threatening.

The student officer was undergoing night fire training at the range, which is run by the New Bedford Police Department. The recruit was a student in the Plymouth Regional Police Academy, Mr. Harris said.

The accident occurred just after 4 p.m., Mr. Harris said.

He said the student officer's firearm will be inspected by the Marshfield Police Department armorer to determine whether it has mechanical faults.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well , they are going to inspect the weapon for mechanical faults. It may have just went off on it's own. probably one of those rogue illegal guns.

I'm not sure what is worse. The pain of shooting yourself or having people know that you shot yourself.

Hope he comes out of this okay!

Respectfully,

jkelly

So, am I supposed to be surprised if I holster my pistol with my finger still on the trigger and it goes off?

Booger hook to bang switch violation, probably.
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Police - ND = Gun was faulty, better check.

People - ND = Guns are bad and all of them need to be off the street.

[rolleyes]
That's because the police are the only one qualified to use a sidearm. Any ND is a hardware issue, not software (read as brains) of the user.

I added the article to your OP.

As for the story...Whoooooops! [rolleyes]

...the student officer's firearm will be inspected by the Marshfield Police Department armorer to determine whether it has mechanical faults.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

the weapon accidentally discharged

WTF OVER?????????? I've never in 20 years of shooting have had a gun "accidentally discharge"

How about the f-ing moron had his booger hook on the bang switch.... [rolleyes]

Probably the case here,(finger on trigger) I have seen faulty mechanical decockers before too though....

I too hope the officer is alright.... now he can be a demonstration on what not to do when holstering your weapon....

Probably the case here,(finger on trigger) I have seen faulty mechanical decockers before too though....

So have I but would on earth would you decock while the muzzle is pointed at your leg??? Always decock in a safe direction.

It was probably a case of the safest way to decock is the decocking lever, but forgot the 2 absolutes muzzle management and trigger finger discipline.... the officer was probably thought the weapon couldnt go off if they use the decocker, stupid I know, but its possible....

Last edited:
You mean the side retention strap, or the top strap? this depends on what holster their issued???

[angry] It truly angers me that if this happened to one of us insignificant civilians we would most likely lose our "right" to carry in this commie shit hole. But this moron will not only continue to be licensed to carry, he will also be a cop. I hate double standards. [angry]

I know someone who knows someone who was a former Marine and shot himself in the stomach with a P99 at his house, the last I knew, this moron still has his LTC... Why? WTFK????

Does anyone have any personal knowledge of someone losing their LTC due to a ND?

I actually have not heard of any.

I know of three instances where someone has shot themselves due to negligence either at their home or the range and none lost their LTC's. The incidents were in different Towns also.

So, am I supposed to be surprised if I holster my pistol with my finger still on the trigger and it goes off?---P-14
I'm thinking that you'd be very surprised. [smile]

Respectfully,

jkelly

not only continue to be licensed to carry, he will also be a cop.

Here's a question...

Though not life threatening, the entry wound was upper leg, and it travelled to lower leg. If it damaged his knew, he may be lame his whole life.

Would he be able to retire with a disability, even though he never served beyond the academy?

Here's a question...

Though not life threatening, the entry wound was upper leg, and it travelled to lower leg. If it damaged his knew, he may be lame his whole life.

Would he be able to retire with a disability, even though he never served beyond the academy?

That's a helluva retirement plan.... [wink]

It was probably a case of the safest way to decock is the decocking lever, but forgot the 2 absolutes muzzle management and trigger finger discipline.... the officer was probably thought the weapon couldnt go off if they use the decocker, stupid I know, but its possible....

Somewhat unrelated but to add to this, I've seen someone use the decocker then go completely lax on the finger inside trigger in the guard rule. I pointed it out and was told, "Oh its ok I just decocked the gun". He made that statement while indicating at me with the gun.

We dont speak anymore.

Booger hook to bang switch violation, probably.

It can happen to an experienced shooter, too. Fatigue and distraction can cause people to mess up. Similar thing happened at FrontSight:

The student wanted to holster his weapon quickly so he would be ready when the targets actually turned. However, his finger was still on the trigger as he attempted to reholster. This was clearly a violation of Safety Rule #3; Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

http://www.frontsight.com/SafetyReports.asp?Action=ShowSingle&ID=5

There's no prize for fastest holstering.

Don't assume it can't happen to you. You have to pay attention. Once it becomes automatic, that's when bad things can happen if you stop paying attention.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom