Recommended M16 RR refinishing options

I have a RR M16 that is looking a little beaten up. I would like to get it refinished and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Price is not really a concern. This is definitely not something I want to go cheap on due to the value of the RR. I am a little scared of shipping it.

Some questions:
1) Re-anodize somewhere like US Anodizing, cheap but anodizing is not exactly the toughest of finishes
2) Cerakote sounds more durable, but is there any risk having to blast off old cerakote if refinishing it again later?
3) Go all fancy like Robar NP3 (which is silver, unfortunately), or blackened electroless nickel
4) What other finishes am I overlooking?

And finally:
5) Any local places people would recommend in NH? And if shipping it, is USPS Registered Mail the way to go?

If you go Cerakote it is hard to beat SMI in amesbury. they do all the Cerakoting for SIG and have the large scale equipment to do it correctly. and they are fast and cheap.

I highly recommend Cerakoting it. Its approx 7 times harder than the factor finish (or so they say) and is available in like 50+ colors. I did it to my P226 after it started showing holster wear and it came out great! I then had 2 friends do their glock and XDm and 4000 rounds later it still looks great although there is some slight wear marks appearing from holster. There is plenty of places you can drop it off and get it back a week later. you save some $$$ if you break it down yourself. Your other options are to coat your gun in nickel boron, makes it very very strong and it has really great "self lubrication". You can also do titanium nitrite (TiN) (normally gold but other colors avail including black) and then you get the most expensive, hardest, best lubricated coating that I know of. I have this done on my BCG and after 3000 rounds it still looks brand spanking new. Good Luck!

Also, if your a DIY kinda person, you can Cerakote the your gun with a kit for about $45. You can do both the oven cure or air cure methods. I just purchased a 24 color kit to cerakote all of my guns myself and an electric smoker off Amazon to cure them in (nice and tall for rifle parts etc).

Last edited:
Depends what you want.

My old pre-ban SBR has a fantastic wear pattern developped over the years I've owned it. Kindof like the bluing worn off a 1911 from repeated holster presentations. No scratches. Just burninshing.

Cerakote is it for a military looking unit.

NP3 is just pure sex. Yes. SEX!!.

I was at a subgun match and a guy had an entirely NP3d Uzi. It was gorgeous.

I actually thought about NP3ing my M11. But that would be like trying to shine a turd. I'll give it another coat of Krylon when it needs it.

Back
Top Bottom