Recommended 1911 recoil spring

I figured I would order a couple extra recoil spring for my 1911, but I don't really know much about recoil springs.

Question 1: Which is a good brand? I hear Wolff comes highly recommended.

Question 2: Which weight does one go with for standard use? I heard 16 is the norm.

Any help is appreciated.

And remember kids- the open end goes where the bullets come out! [smile]

-Mike

I've been buying springs from www.shootersconnection.com I think they might be bulk ISMI repackaged. I made a spring tester and they came out right at the same readings as my ISMI. I've seen a lot of gunsmith's recommending ISMI.

I think mine has a 14# with a fit Wilson buffer.

Not to high jack the thread, okay mabe a little, what main spring are your guys running?

Respectfully,

jkelly

My sw1911 functions best with an 18# spring for factory loads. 12-14# springs are generally used in my guns that I shoot bullseye with and I use milder reloads. I would only use wolff springs.

I keep about a dozen new wolf 16 lb and 18 lb springs around. I like the 18 lbs ones for my 5 inch models and 16 lb for my commander size.

I throw them away after 500 rounds and replace them. That might be a little to early to do that but springs are cheap and it's good insurance to keep the gun running right.

I never use buffers and have never needed them since I change the springs so often.

Last edited:
Thanks all! I'll have to try both and see which I prefer. I called the S&W customer service to verify with them, and they had mentioned #16 were the standard, although I will get 18 too and see how it works out. They too recommended Wolff springs.

Does it have a full length guide rod?

Check to make sure the spring fits by putting it on the guide rod, putting the spring plug over it, and compressing it against a table top or something. The spring plug should bottom out on the guide rod head.

I had swapped springs once as some preventive maintence before a big match without checking the fit and it turned out to be too long. That plug wouldn't bottom out (that was without a shock buff too) and the slide stroke was not correct and ended up causing the barrel link to break, locking up the gun. If it needs to be shortened, trim it with a Dremel cutting wheel. The spring will laugh at your wire cutters.

When S&W started making 1911's they used nothng but 18.5 lb. spings on all the 5 inch models. It wasn't untill recently that they changed to 16 pounds.

Not to high jack the thread, okay mabe a little, what main spring are your guys running?

Respectfully,

jkelly

I've never had to replace the factory main spring on all my 1911's. I tried a lower powered one once to reduce the trigger pull on my Delta Elite, but it felt very sluggish and it took noticably longer for the trigger to snap down on the firing pin. Also, because it reduced resistance on the slide moving back, it made my 22lb spring feel more like a 16lb one and battered the gun.

Regarding recoil springs, I keep a 22lb Wilson for my 10mm Delta Elite, 18.5lb wilson for reduced loads.

For my .45 Gold Cup, I keep a Wilson 18.5lb for really heavy loads, the factory 16lb one for hardball, and a 12lb one for really light target loads.

I noticed that when you purchase the recoil spring, another smaller spring comes with it. What is the smaller spring for? The firing pin? If so, do I have to go to a gunsmith to swap that out? Does it even need swappign?

I noticed that when you purchase the recoil spring, another smaller spring comes with it. What is the smaller spring for? The firing pin? If so, do I have to go to a gunsmith to swap that out? Does it even need swappign?

its for the firing pin, push the firing pin in, and the firing pin safety under the slide, slide the firing pin stop plate down, remove the firing pin and replace the spring. with that said, i have yet to replace mine

Good to know. I doubt I'll be changing that often, but definately will be swapping out the recoil spring. I originally thought that my 1911 was new, but it was "like-new"...god only knows what that means. After inspecting the pistol up and down though, it couldn't have had more than 1000rounds through it TOPS. It's running perfect now that I learned how it lieks to be lubed and got some mags it likes (Wilsons). I figured I would just swap out the spring because it's cheap maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom