1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Recommendations Wanted For SUV(s)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kevin9, Feb 10, 2019.

1. kevin9

kevin9

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

2. Path-Finder

Path-Finder

We bought Subaru outback to replace my wife's Honda Civic 6 years ago. The AWD is awesome in the snow. Inspires confidence in my wife who is scared of driving in bad conditions. I have to say the thing is bullet proof. The only thing that has failed was one of the calipers never fully opened and it wore down a rotor.
    Now it does burn some oil but not enough to concern me. Subaru also extended the warranty to cover the oil issue if it causes engine damage. which has since been resolved in the newer models.

3. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

I had a Chevy Tahoe for many years and miles and it was very reliable. I bought it when I was a single dad with lots of discretionary money and not living w/wife et al in frikkin Lexington. After that I bought a Ford Explorer destroyed in an accident, and now I have a Toyota Sequoia, which I bought quite used about 100K miles ago. So far, so good. It has a pretty good appetite for gas, but it's big and has decent power.

4. golden chicken

golden chicken

RE the 4Runner, I meant utility as in the ability to pull a light trailer, mostly fit a sheet of 4x8 plywood and have a cargo area rather than 3rd row seat. You said you were replacing an F-150, so MPG would presumably be better, though admittedly not 'great' compared to the other unibody CUVs you mentioned.

5. kevin9

kevin9

Got it. Unfortunately used 4Runner prices appear to be in the used-pickup-stupid range.

6. golden chicken

golden chicken

It's actually kind of pathetic how few vehicles will actually take 4x8 sheets of plywood and close the tailgate. Really, it's cargo vans, minivans, Suburbans and pickups. For the modern family SUV, you're going to have to put it on the roof or let it hang out the back a bit.

7. kevin9

kevin9

I hear ya. Even my current F-150 won't take a 4x8 sheet plywood flat with the tailgate up.

8. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

If you're anywhere near Manchester NH I can help you with Hondas. I sell them. Best known are the CR-V, a compact SUV which is slightly larger (and MUCH nicer) than the RAV4, and the Pilot, a 3-row SUV with gigantic cargo space if you put all the rear seats down.

Honda has a new SUV called the Passport, just came out about 2 weeks ago. It's basically a two-row Pilot with a more off-road capable suspension. Huge room for cargo if you put the rear seats down. And the AWD version has 5000 lb towing capacity.

In the pre-owned section I have a GMC Acadia you might like, and two Acura MDXs.

9. arcticzr600

arcticzr600 NES Member

They are hard to find used and are usually more expensive than the other main stream offerings. I bought new for slightly more than used a few years back. No regrets

10. kevin9

kevin9

Thanks. Am still in research phase. Manchester is a bit of a hike from north-central MA, but when the time to buy comes it might be doable for the right vehicle and deal.

11. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

RAV4 AWD system shuts off at 35mph. CR-V system can only transfer minimal torque to the rear wheels. That’s why Forester thumps thrm in the snowbelt.

It’s a lot of effort to get the technical details on Crossover AWD systems, but worth the effort if you want an effective system. At one point Subaru had five different AWD systems, some more capable (and expensive) than others.

12. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NES Member

That's a negative on the CRV AWD being worse than the Forester. When Rock St in Norwood was a skating rink, I took both the CRV and Forester with Hakkas on to go test out the AWDs. The 2018 CRV did well, not significantly worse than the Forester. Honda apparently got shamed about their shitty AWD a couple years back and appears to have made some good changes. Subaru went the other way - their CVT AWD does not have the 50/50 torque split anymore except on manual, now it's 60/40. And since the stick shift is not offered 2019 onwards, that's what you're stuck with.

13. T-Unit

T-Unit

14. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

not the trucks fault, it’s whoever bought it. The work truck is a Toyota with a 8’ bed and 4 doors. Never meant to go to soccer

15. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

Although I do not like the RAV-4 shutoff BS. I'm not going to argue Subaru has the best AWD system, it probably does. Thumps them in the snow belt?? Snowbelt full of hippies in the Northeast maybe, that....drive Subarus anyway. Its a hippie/lesbian car. Lots of them around here.

However the full blown reality is, most of these cars never see much other than a few inches of snow on pavement. Any modification to make Front Wheel Drive better is going to suffice for most of these urbanite uses. Having the "best" AWD system means little if your car is light and has no ground clearance.

Subaru cars and small wagons........ ground clearance is shxt compared to a lot of SUV's. Once you beach it, your stuck...Subaru, Jeep, F350....doesn't matter.

Also the weight of a small subaru car is not going to work as well in the snow as say a heavy larger SUV. I'd take my higher ground clearance, heavier Santa Fe with some good narrow snow biting tires over a better performing AWD and a smaller, lower, lighter Subaru that will float on top and beach itself any day. But we are talking real snow here....most of which these vehicles never see. I've busted thru 18" at the end of the driveway with the Sante Fe and drove 400 feet up thru a foot of heavy, wet to get to the house. No problem. I wouldn't even try it with an Impreza....I'd be beached at the bottom plow pile. I don't think Id try it with my Rogue either...too fing light and not enough clearance. Am I going to act like my Santa Fe is a Range Rover and take it off roading....nope. I'm not, and most Subaru owners aren't either.

But if are talking snow performance, give me the heaviest, V6, or V8 gas guzzling model, that has narrow tall tires and not wide sport bullshit rims and a semi decent AWD system with maybe some weight in back. That one will work the best. I've climbed plenty of berkshire snowy hills in hunting season back in the 70's and 80's when all we had was a 2WD truck with snowbiters on the rear, and a bunch of weight in back.

Like most say....having the best AWD in a disappointing class of vehicles really doesnt mean much. Most of these are not trucks, built too light, and not meant for real heavy snow or serious off roading. Though they seem to want to be....and some people make them out to be.....they are not Land Cruisers and Range Rovers. Advertising a great AWD system....meh.....all you need is a little better than FWD most times...as these vehicles are not really serious enough to do much else that than that.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Energizer and Woodstock like this.
  16. Lone Wolf McQuade

Lone Wolf McQuade NES Member

I have a 2017 Ford Escape S FWD. So I have 21k miles with no issues. All I need is a basic reliable transportation and it fits the bill nicely. The only down side is that it does not have tinted glass so can be pretty warm inside during the Summer when parked in the sun.

Gas mileage is always hand calculated, Getting around 27.5 MPG in the Summer, and 25MPG with the Winter blend. This is mostly mixed driving. On a long trip say to Maine would be in the 29-30 MPG range.

17. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

We have a six cylinder Subaru with the VTD drive system*, and a 2016 Tahoe with two range 4WD. They both have Nokian Hakkapeliita R2 SUV winter tires.

The Subaru will run rings around the Tahoe on snow and ice. 1/2 ton GM’s don’t have a locking center differential.

Subaru is now the 9th best selling brand in the US, so the “Hippies & Lesbians” stereotype is a dad joke. They have five times average market share in MA, six times in Colorado, and eight times in VT. It’s the 4th most popular brand in Maine as well.

* The VTD [Variable Torque Distribution] drive system was fit to 2001-2014 Six cylinder and turbo Outbacks. The system has a planetary center differential and 45/55 torque distribution until wheel slip occurs. The only more sophisticated system available on Subaru is the DCCD [Driver Controlled Center Differential] system on the STI.

Many of those Outbacks (like our 2096 3.0R) also had a LSD on the rear axle. Only the STI has one on the front as well.

18. J.A.C

J.A.C NES Member

I like my 2004 V8 4-Runner, it tows what I need it to and when you put the pedal to the floor that V8 boogies

19. xero2099

xero2099 NES Member

which model of pistol is better, Glock, Smith and Wesson or Ruger?:D

20. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

None, Beretta.

21. NeverMiss

NeverMiss

I love my Kia Sportage as my daily driver. It looks pretty good and has the same 4 cylinder that's in the Sorrento...which makes the Sportage a little more reactive because its smaller and lighter. Mine is AWD. Never had any issues.

The new Kia coming out...that Telluride, looks pretty cool.

22. robjax

robjax

My wife has a 2014 Pilot. You can only use 4wd in 1st or 2nd. Once you shift into drive the 4wd disengages. Good SUV other than that....

23. Demfer

Demfer

Stick with Toyota, rav4, highlander 4runner. Keep an eye out for a nice used lexus equivalent, plenty of deals out there. The engines are only broken in at 100k miles.

Energizer likes this.
  24. MarlboroughMan

MarlboroughMan NES Member

Yeah not much love for Jeep here but I'll put in a word for the Grand Cherokee. My current is an 18 Trailhawk and it's a great vehicle. This is my fifth GC and they've all been great... easily tow my boat and are good in all weather and virtually as off-road capable as a wrangler (which I also owned but it wasn't so worry-free). Understanding FCA reliability concerns people seem to have better luck with the GC for some reason and the people that I know who have them really like them.

My son owns a Mazda CX5 with a lot of miles on it and he loves it. Definitely worth a look.

25. Paul455

Paul455 NES Member

Lexus RX - Unreal quality and reliability.

Quiggy likes this.
  26. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

Ive been considering the Grand Cherokee. Not as much room inside as the other larger v6 SUV’s like the Traverse.

But more capable off road, with actual 4wd, some ground clearance, and styled much less like a soccer mom vehicle. Which most of these are.

Ive rented a few of them and they seem like a solid vehicle with a real engine and power. I took one to Kentucky last year and drove it in some nasty mud off road. Places id never take a Subaru, or the smaller no clearance offerings and it was balls out no problem.

I generally dont care about looks as much as performance and function. But the GC is one of the nicest looking SUV’s out there.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  27. MarlboroughMan

MarlboroughMan NES Member

Mark, take a look at the Trailhawk edition... I drove that and I was sold. It has adjustable ground clearance (air suspension), additional underbody protection, and tires that have some additional capability (Goodyear "kevlar"). I've always found the Grand Cherokees to be as reliable as any vehicle's I've owned (including 3 Honda Ridgelines that I also liked a lot). On this Trailhawk I decided to get Chrysler's "unlimited" warranty, which they discontinued offering in November... but for a few grand it covers virtually all parts (other than standard "wear" items like brakes/bulbs) for the life of the vehicle. There are other long term warranties that FCA still offers that are great for piece of mind as things like the air suspension, head unit, etc. are very expensive (particularly if you're concerned about Jeep's reliability and want to keep the vehicle for a long time).

28. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

The wife has an equinox, I drive an Acadia
    Both have appx 80k on them, no real problems...in fact, no problems. Acadia gas mileage sucks 18mpg. Great highway car, would have been better on the SLT2 version with bigger engine and dual exhaust.

29. rcwhat

rcwhat

I’ll take light over heavy any day of the week if it’s awd/4wd. A lighter car is waaaaaay easier to stop on icy conditions. My current Subaru STI is one of the best cars in icy conditions I’ve ever driven. If I was trying to drive through a foot of unplowed snow it obviously wouldn’t work out too well. But for on-road snowy and icy conditions I prefer my sti over my Toyota FJ Cruiser which is saying a lot.

30. kevin9

kevin9

Thanks all for your inputs and suggestions. I will take them all into due consideration, based on what I paid for them [wink]

Been watching what I see on the road during my daily commute. This is what see for small/compact SUVs:
    1. RAV4
    2. CRV (close second)
    3. CX-5 (2, 3 very close)
    4. Forester
    5. Rogue
    6. Escape (close 6th)
    7. Equinox/Terrain
    8. Tuscon
    9. Sportage (7, 8, 9 all close)
    Am not ranking premium or luxury brands, or brands I'm not interested in, although smaller Jeeps (Compass, Liberty) would come in 4th or 5th, and VW's about 7th.

There's a clear #1 in mid-sized SUVs, then the rest are pretty close:
    1. Toyota, mostly Highlanders, but includes Venzas and 4Runners - clearly #1
    2. Pilot
    3. Sorrento
    4. Santa Fe (close 3rd)
    5. Edge
    6. Acadia/Traverse
    7. CX-9
    8. Murano and PathFinder (6, 7, 8 all close)
    Again, not paying attention to makes and models I'm not interested in, although I would note that Jeeps (mostly GCs) come in a close 3rd with the Pilot, well above Sorrentos and Santa Fes.

This is an informal, non-scientific survey. All usual disclaimers apply. YMMV, IANAL, WYSIWYG, caveat emptor