1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Recommendations Wanted For SUV(s)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kevin9, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i have had really great luck with my RX350 lexus. 180K, and the only real maintenance were brakes, two wheel bearings, and a new radiator. I pull a light trailer all the time...up to 1000 lbs or so it is fine. Short trips with the trailer really loaded work too

I keep wanting to sell it and get a truck, but it just won't die. It is not 4wd, but awd and snow tires and i have been up all the way to Val D'Or in Canada, and lots of back roads in Colorado in the winter time.

the only ding, it is low to the road, so not a prayer of off roading with it...you will lose a muffler

Quiggy and drgrant like this.
  2. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

If I had an airbag fault reader, I could probably fix it myself, so if anyone has one I could borrow...
    Other than that I will call Micorp

3. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

My sister has the RX350 and it's the most comfortable car I've driven.

4. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

its good at high speed too. Out in the middle of kansas, where there basically is no speed limit, you do not want any high speed shimmy going on

5. Duxprep

Duxprep NES Member

Gotcha - Wife has a 2014 Pilot Touring Model we bought used. Preferred the roominess of the boxy interior vs the new ones. Great car and very nicely appointed. I did buy a small wiring harness from a guy in Canada to disable the VCM. That drove me batty with it constantly dropping and adding cylinders and made the car feel sluggish and underpowered. It's great now with 6 cylinders all the time

6. jek

jek NES Life Member NES Member

This. My wife and I have owned both, and they are very dependable with decent gas mileage. The only work that we've done on them is routine maintenance, and replacing items that wear down like brakes, tires, etc. No major repairs. My 2009 RAV4 currently has ~150k miles and it still drives like new. My daughter just passed her 2005 Highlander on to my granddaughter.

7. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I should mention my rx350 gets 22 mpg on a good day on the highway...not stellar mileage.

8. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

colo.JPG See the world thru an rx350!
    upload_2019-2-11_8-45-42.png

upload_2019-2-11_8-46-8.png

upload_2019-2-11_8-49-58.png

upload_2019-2-11_8-50-23.png

9. arcticzr600

arcticzr600 NES Member

Not on your list or mentioned but the Mazda CX-5 is a great driver that handles like it is German but has Japanese maintenance. Only complaint is the cargo space and back seat are smaller compared to a RAV4.

10. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Was just about to say this. I've been driving Mazda's since 2003 and they've been great. In general, the suspension in their vehicles tends to be a bit firmer and the sway bars are slightly oversized compared to competitors so they're more fun to drive. They've become what Honda was in the late 90's. The CX5 is smaller like a Rav4 and the CX9 is like a Honda Pilot.

arcticzr600 likes this.
  11. qqac

qqac

I have a 2013 Acadia with factory tow package and am very happy with it. Earlier models did have a transmission issue, as Zappa pointed out; but that was resolved by 2013. I think the 2013-16 is the sweet spot for that model. Later models after 2016 are significantly smaller. The '13-'16 has massive cargo space.

The Escape is a good compact SUV with nice ergonomics and impressive MPG.

Also take a look at the 2015 Dodge Durango. The wife has one and it is a top notch vehicle--drives and handles great, nicely optioned, high end look and feel, reliable.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  12. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

All life decisions about people are made because of what clothes they wear, what shoes they wear, how firm a handshake they have. And most certainly what car they drive. Lamborghini suv

7UPyours likes this.
  13. kevin9

kevin9

Thank you. I'd meant to list the CX-5. They're hard to find but get good reviews and everyone I've talked to that has one raves about it.

arcticzr600 likes this.
  14. T-Unit

T-Unit

Yup, cars go down in value while investments either hold their value or go up. Buying a new car may as well be flushing money down the toilet.

15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

My wife had an 08 Pilot. Something like that. It was great in the snow but frustrated me in every other way. Sucked gas like a 70's tank but had no HP. It was too big in the wrong dimensions. Just frustrating.

FF to last Fall when I pick up a 2017 Ridgeline (effectively a Pilot with a bed). They fixed all the problems. PLENTY of power, but I'm getting 25mpg with no issues. Roomy. Comfortable. When my wife's RAV wears out (or Daughter #1 decides to take it from her), I'm getting her another Pilot.

It isn't nearly as good in the snow. But when you have seemingly that much weight on the wheels, they seem to grip really really well. With the truck - not as much. But adequate. It's not a problem, it's just that the 08 stuck to the road like glue at all times.

16. T-Unit

T-Unit

Different strokes man. I guess you enjoy having to buy a new BoF vehicle every 6 years with all the salt around here.

About the only thing I don't like about the Crossover's is too many of them have AWD, which is not as reliable or simple as 4x4/RWD.

17. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

like mentioned above, factory tow package is pretty important if you tow stuff. transmission cooler alone is worth its weight in gold

18. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

This....I dont buy new cars.

My last two SUV's I bought at 4 years old with fairly low mileage.

2010 Sante Fe - Really a solid performer, decent ride, excellent in the snow, 2.7 v6 has decent power, the only thing it's plagued with is shxtty wheel bearings. I'm on replacing my last one out of 4, and I suspect a bad batch. Because my buddy had a 2007 model and never put in a wheel bearing in 230K Other than that, it's been great. 95k on the clock.

2012 Rogue - Only 40 K on it right now, hate the CVT but it's good when it gets going, stiff ride, and road noisy. OK in the snow, but too light to be really good, still tough to get stuck with it. I've been off road, in 6 inches of snow and never an issue. (I bought it because I got a fantastic deal and it will go to my kid next who is in college and will drive whatever I give him)

Best thing about these two - excise tax was about 110 dollars for both of them, not each...both.

Next I'm looking at used Pathfinder, 4 Runner, or Jeep Grand Cherokee. I really think the reliability of the Jeep is questionable. Ive rented them a couple times though and they are nice. I like the Traverse as well, but I keep hearing bad things.

19. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I just think this class of vehicles is generally a disappointment, particularly at the low end. For example, I think ford should take the Escrap and rename it to the "Meh" because its representative of what it actually is.

The BOF thing is because a lot of people mentally conflate these things with trucks or real SUVs, but they're not. That's the main reason I brought that up.

And it's not like say, the old american land yacht sedans or something where a eurotrash type, back then, would scoff at it, and we could legitimately tell them to f*** off and laugh at them, confident in superiority, because "I'm an american and my lincoln continental is at least comfortable and drives smoothly, so take your 1.5L shitbox and shove it".

This summer I rented a unibody Pathfinder with the V6 in it (got it as a free upgrade) and didn't completely hate it, but most of the FakeUV/crossovers fall like 1000 yards short of even that thing, and that's just like, mind numbing to me how people think "that" is "good". At least the pathfinder actually had real capacity in it
    compared to most of them. The bottom 2/3rds of that market is basically some kind of a sick joke. If someone held a gun to my head and said I had to buy a
    unibody SUV it would probably be something like that, or an RX350, or probably a bigger Mazda, or maybe even an Acura MDX or whatever that thing is. Everything else seems like it goes from "meh" to "wow this is really bad". Like the bottom end of that market make things like low end Kia or Hyundai sedans look very appealing, in contrast.

I honestly believe at some point or another there had to be a conspiracy by car manufacturers to implant "SUV garbagelogic nostrums" into the collective concience of millions of car buyers, that's the only way I can really explain the popularity of these things..

Typical SUV Gems vs Reality:

"But eye like to ryde hi off the road!"
    Yes, so you can see the back of the SUV in front of you, not any different than the rest of us in sedans or those driving motorcycles or low slung sportscars.
    "But what about the snow. And the roads are baaaaad! eye need awd!!! bweee!"
    You probably drove an FWD sedan in the snow for 20 years just fine, outside of an incident involving a set of shitty tires or bad driving as the causative agent.
    Oh, and btw, SUV/CUV blow out tires and get f***ed up on potholes just like any other car or truck can. (eg, the belief in the fake notion of robustness) It's not like most of them have kevlar sidewall tires and come with reinforced drivetrain components or something (which at least, some real BOF trucks and SUVs do!)
    "But what about safeteeeeeeeee?"
    Uhh, SUV/crossover aren't really any more or less safe than a lot of other real trucks or sedans. In some cases they can be horrendously worse vs avg, but with good selection this entire issue is probably a wash, unless we're talking about stability vs rollovers and that kind of thing, in which case, nearly all of them are horrendous outside of WoWo/Volvo. (Altho Wowo's SUVs are more wagon-like, esp XC60. ).
    "ZOMG the fuel enonedaffameeeee!"
    Well, not really, but if you want to have a car that drives like shit and still isn't getting anywhere near the MPG or performance of even a Hyundai Elantra, then so be it. "But I buy like a couple big potted plants from blowes in the spring they wont fit in my trunk!!!!! what about awkward object cargo bweah!!!!"
    Yes, because its a great idea to base a vehicle around an infinitesimally small handful of retail purchase you intend to make.
    "Eye cant be seen in a minivan!!!!" (this is a Broadlogic(TM) problem). Then again one of the smartest women I know drives a minivan. She was smart enough to know that shuffling 3 small children around in an SUV/FakeUV is f***ing stupid. [laugh]

I dunno, I just see most of these things and it makes me sad. It's like they were designed for WalMart or something. I was behind some weird dodge crossover the other day (I forget WTF it was) but when I saw it the first thing I thought of was "Rolling, concatenated mediocrity."

I really wish Toyota or someone else would start making real wagons again. The only wagons outside of Subaru are euro stuff with dodgy reputation.

Also your comment WRT investments, yes, cars are not an investment, ever. It's not about new vs used or any of that though, its about what you want out of
    the thing and what your usage pattern is vs what you can afford (and also a tradeoff vs what you can tolerate). A lot of the old stuff is a fools errand
    though in terms of buying a vehicle. Spending little but getting junks and nursing junks is generally stupid, on the other hand, big wins can be seen through
    picking up barely used vehicles with the depreciation shaved off but still lots of life left.

-Mike

20. Mr.E

Mr.E

Bentley Bentayga, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Range Rover HSE Sport, Jeep Trackhawk, Lambo Urus.....you know, just the basics..

21. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

The 13-16 Traverse/Acadia has tremendous cargo space. Also a very nice ride, and good power. One of the reasons I'm looking at it.

22. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

take the Jeep right out of this group it does not belong with them

23. StevieP

StevieP NES Member

We've had great luck with our two MDXes. First went 13 years and 180k trouble-free miles. It was boring in its reliability. Wife just wanted something new, so in 2014 we got a low-mileage 2011 MDX.

ONLY beef with it is it runs super. the Honda Pilot is pretty much the same platform. I can't recommend them enough.

Have the timing belt, and frame bushings done on any used one. After a while the ride gets harsh, and changing the shocks does nothing if the bushings are all shot.

24. Mr.E

Mr.E

I figured you could run it down the track a couple times and then when it explodes you could hop into one of the other ones....

Scott7980 likes this.
  25. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

I bought an Edge because I’m boring, couldn’t afford what I really wanted (Taurus SHO/base F150 with more than vinyl seats), and secretly love underperforming turbo platforms.
    And being 6’+ I fit better in it than an escape or focus.

DC62908B-601B-4123-9203-EC72E6C68C0C.jpeg

26. Brin747

Brin747 NES Member

4Runner...mine is an absolute unstoppable tank and I know it will last forever... A kid at my gym has a 1998 with 300k miles that has been handed down through his family and still runs like a top...

Energizer likes this.
  27. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

That's another part of my gripes too, I'm a short guy but I think a lot of taller people have gotten the shaft by car manufacturers. Not enough sedans accommodate tall people well anymore... I know a whole bunch of guys who would much rather drive cars but they can't fit in any of the f***ing things so they're pretty much stuck driving SUVs or big trucks now.....

SERE likes this.
  28. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

Never mind that carrying in the car makes for uncomfortable shifting being the size that I am.
    Bring back the bench seat in cars!

SERE likes this.
  29. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

It’s really hard to sleep on anything other than a bench seat. I agree bring them back

SERE likes this.
  30. dontpanic

dontpanic

Consumer Reports is your best source for real, data-driven reliability analyses. On-line access is $35 per year. (I have it.)

For data in print, the April issue is all automotive, and should be available at the end of this month. (I save a couple of years of back issues. PM me if you'd like me to .pdf a couple of pages from last year's auto issue.)

kevin9 likes this.