1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Recommendations Wanted For SUV(s)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kevin9, Feb 10, 2019.

1. kevin9

kevin9

Am looking to purchase two SUVs in the next year, one to replace a 2008 F-150 several sons use to get to work and I use to plow the driveway, and a second to replace a 2005 Ford 500 I use for long range commuting (1 hr 20 min each way). Both are getting long in the tooth. Would love to replace the pickup with another one, but used pickup prices are crazy. For the price of a 3-5 year old pickup one can just about get two 4-6 year old SUVs.

For the first one I'm considering a mid-sized SUV. Requirements are V6, AWD, decent MPG, good reliability, and good front seat leg room. Would like to have ability to pull light trailer, and maybe fit a sheet of plywood with all seats down. Don't need 3rd row seats. Options I'm considering include Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia, Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorento, Nissan Murano, Ford Expedition or Edge, Toyota Highlander, and Honda Pilot.

For the second one I'm considering a small to compact sized SUV. Requirements are AWD, good MPG, good reliability, drivability and comfort, and V6 were available. Options I'm considering include Nissan Rogue, Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain, Dodge Journey, Subaru Forest, Ford Edge or Escape.

Options not on the table are Jeep and VW due to inconsistent reliability, premium makes (ex. Lexus) due to cost, and sub-compact SUVs due size.

What experiences have folks had with with any these models?
    Thank you.

p.s. Am also interested in recommendations for on-line sources for vehicle reliability reports. I've found several (ex. JD Power, Edmunds, RepairPal), but their results vary widely.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

2. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

My dad owned an older Forester and loved it for deer hunting - his words were something to the effect of "just thrown down a blanket in the back and you're good to go!" They're also very popular up north. Downside is I believe either fatal engine or transmission issues. Do more research.

Having watched a SUV flip over 360 on the highway, I can safely say I wouldn't buy one. It was either a Ford Edge or Explorer.

3. luckythirteengt

luckythirteengt NES Member

I would recommend a mercury mariner/ ford escape. 3.0 v6 awd decent gas milage mine has 206k and runs great still.

garandman likes this.
  4. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

I just got my third Acadia company lease a couple months ago. I wouldn’t recommend the 2019 model. I’m a simple guy when it comes to vehicles but the new version is much smaller, underpowered. If I’d have looked at it ahead of time I’d have probably gone w an Explorer this time around. That’s what you get when you order it and have it delivered sight unseen thinking it won’t be much different than the last one.

5. Laura

Laura

That can happen with a pickup truck too in the right conditions.

For SUV, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either the Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV.

T-Unit likes this.
  6. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

Any high-center-of-gravity vehicle, e.g. a van too. This thread is about SUVs though and not trucks. And these days, I rock a Volvo sedan ;)

7. The Herd

The Herd NES Member

I have a Tacoma; my wife has a RAV4...we are solid all the way around

ldi, fshalor and Laura like this.
  8. Omahastylin16

Omahastylin16 NES Member

ive had a 2017 awd GMC terrain as a lease for 2 years now. its the basic package so no thrills but aside from my old 1 ton diesel its the best vehicle ive ever driven in the snow. its a 4 cylinder so I wouldn't plan to tow much with it but it has excellent leg room and decent cargo space

9. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

I can tell you which ones to avoid.
    Stay away from the Traverse/Acadia, lots of transmission problems.
    The Murano is also a problem child.
    The Santa Fe and Sorrento are about equal, pretty reliable, but not top tier build quality.
    For the Expedition, they're rugged, but it won't deliver the gas mileage of the others.
    The Highlander is a top choice, but command top money too.
    Can't say much about the Edge either way, I don't see many out there.
    The Pilot is also a good choice, but hard to find good low mileage used ones.

I'd avoid the Rogue for the same reasons as the Murano.
    And the Equinox/Terrain have issues also.
    Don't even look at the Journey, complete junk.
    I'm not big on Subarus so YMMV, but I do tow a lot of them.
    (BTW, they're #1 for blown engines)
    Again, the Edge I can't comment on, but the Escape is pretty reliable.
    That leaves the RAV4 and CRV, which are both pretty decent, and lots of them out there.
    If it were me given those two choices, I'd go with the CRV.

Smart man, Jeep lost their Mojo a long time ago, and only got worse since Fiat took over.
    For VW, I've never been a fan. It seems that whenever they make a good car, they quickly discontinue it. Remember the Corrado and Scirocco ???

10. NHKevin

NHKevin NES Member

11. Duxprep

Duxprep NES Member

I'd include the new Subaru Ascent in that first list. They finally have new full sized SUV again. It is the first model year which I'm always weary of but it looks like a nice offering

12. golden chicken

golden chicken

This is what my co-worker suggests. It seemed the most 'utility' of the current SUVs at the auto show by far. The rest are mom-mobiles.

Energizer likes this.
  13. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

My 2003 4runner with the 4.0 v6 towed a 4200 .lb camper from Maine to Florida to Tennessee and back to Maine last summer. Only thing that bit us was some maintenance issues on my part and the fact that I cooked the aftermarket exhaust cat on one side. (Original lasted 150k miles of salt.)

4runner is body on frame and solid rear axel. I would not think of towing anything with a unibody SUV.

I would plow a driveway with a 4runner. (Or Tacoma) but only my driveway. Plows are for 3/4 tons of doing anything more.

A 2012 or newer Wrangler may also be an option. The 2011 had the gerbil engine and shity throttle by wire software. My 2003 4 runner gets better gas milage than the 3.8 keep did.
    (We averaged 21mpg to Florida with 3 people plus 500.lbs of gear in back and on a hitch carry adapter, and 12 towing the trailer.)

14. kevin9

kevin9

Thanks Zappa for the in-depth response.

Don't need much in the way of 4WD utility. Looking more for just snow/bad weather performance, and 4Runner MPG is not great.
    Cannot afford brand new. Looking for something 3-5 years old.

15. Christian

Christian

Rt.3, 1/2 way between Boston and the Cape
    It's the route I'd go if I needed something that size. One of my cousins has had one forever with a gagillion miles on it and he said when it finally does fall apart he'll be looking for another one of similar vintage.

As for the second I've had a few coworkers that blather on about the awesomeness of the Rav 4, they also say whenever theirs gives up the ghost they'll be getting another.

16. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I bought a 2017 Honda CR-V in Dec. 2017 and have been driving it loaded to NH, moving stuff to our new home. Only regrets are that it is smaller than I thought wrt how many Rubbermaid tubs and cartons I can carry up North per trip, and it's tough to see the edges of the car when pulling into the garage. Basically it is a great car.

17. T-Unit

T-Unit

First, you don't need AWD for both. If you want to save some money, go FWD with the mid size SUV you choose. Out of all the options you listed for the bigger SUV, I'd suggest Honda Pilot as in it's base option FWD it can tow 3500 lbs.

For the small SUV, if you have the money, go for the Honda or Toyota and make sure it's not CVT. I'd lean Toyota, Honda automatic transmission are not known for being strong and fast. If you don't have the money, go Ford Edge/Escape or the Hyundai. Whatever you get, get it in a 4 cylinder, you'll appreciate the fuel economy and cheaper tune ups.

Do not get Chevy/GMC or Nissan.

18. hedgehound

hedgehound NES Member

I miss my 4Runner. Best vehicle I owned.

Now I drive Murano. I would not consider it to be the SUV, more like a car with AWD.

19. EvilDragon

EvilDragon NES Member

I just bought a stickshift Forester. They are not available for 2019 and I would be weary of the CVT. So I'd rule out Subaru. My wife has the new 2018 CRV with AWD, which is absolutely fantastic, my recommendation for it's class size.

20. 5811

5811 NES Member

The wife had a CRV for about 7 years, we just recently got rid of it. It was an 09, never really had any issues with it. Just minor stuff. That car gave us a solid 7 years and still has some good life left in it. Only reason we got rid of it was it needed some small repairs and a tune up, plus 4 new tires. We just figured it would be better to put the car, plus what we would have spend on repairs towards a down payment on a new vehicle.

21. TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak NES Member

Honestly, if reliability is a top concern, the choice is easy: highlander and rav4. If you can stretch the budget, 4runners are absolute tanks.

Crv is good too but some have had issues with vtc actuators. I think there may have been a recall to address this but not sure. I would never consider any of those other potential money pits as they have no benefits that outweigh toyota's reliability imo.

This all coming from a VW owner lol toyota is just the best for what most people look for in a daily driven car/suv. Now if other categories like luxury or performance start taking priority, things can change...

Energizer, mibro, ldi and 1 other person like this.
  22. 1776

1776 NES Member

I have an old one ton Chevy and a small Ford 4 door hatchback puddle jumper, the wife has a four door Tojo. The truck hardly gets used. All the miles go on the hatchback with 30+ mpg. I took out the rear seat pads and keep the seat back folded down flat. The last time I checked, it has about 2 cu ft less space than a small SUV at half the price. There's enough length for 8' wood (11' to the dash) and two mother-in-laws rolled up in rugs in back, a roof rack and hitch to pull a small boat trailer for plywood and anything bulky. Check to see what all those payments will cost you over 30 years vs contribution to your 401k. You may find that its 300-400k+ which you will not have when you retire. The economy thanks you for those loan, lease, and mortgage payments.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    T-Unit likes this.
  23. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

My wife has a 2013 Santa Fe with 2.0 turbo, good solid car. The only issues are,1 I find the seats are a little too stiff for my liking, 2 about 6 months ago we got passenger side airbag light. The dealership said that the seat needed replacement, sounds like bullshit to me. They want 2k to replace it.

24. 1776

1776 NES Member

Get a parts breakdown of the seat and ask them what parts need to be replaced. I saw seat upgrades at a remote start and alarm place in Norwood. Ask them for a repair or replace estimate.

Micorp Home Page

25. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

The dealership said the whole seat needs replacing, I asked them why and they said it was the way it was designed but they were "generous" enough to say they would take 2k off a new car if we wanted to go that route. I know it must be a bad sensor and we are the type of people not to get rid of a car until its just about undriveable. That visit was the last time we will darken Herb Chambers Hyundai in Framingham.

26. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Most non-BOF suv/cuv just makes me think of this.....

"My wife said we're getting a ford escape/rav/santafe/gubizon/terrain/equinox/edge/flex/sportage/mundano/rogue/whatever"

I never thought I would ever live to see an entire class of cars that were exponentially more boring and intentionally mediocre than the cars that I liked to drive..... ( I used to joke that the Camry would make you fall asleep while driving it) as it turns out I vastly underestimated the American Consumer... America has arrived. [rofl] Well, at the dump. I do give the car manufacturers a lot of credit though, they figured out how dumb people were about cars and how to zoom in on it and capitalize....

-Mike

JayMcB and C. Stockwell like this.
  27. 1776

1776 NES Member

Sounds like one of their million BS one liners

Micorp does dealer, in and out of warranty, repairs

GaryO likes this.
  28. m_n_x

m_n_x NES Member

Had very good experience with the Santa Fe v6. Wife put 75k on it then we gave it to daughter who has put another 60k on it with no real issues. It also survived a serious accident with surprisingly minor damage so it gets my vote for build quality. Not a huge fan of the Hyundai interior styles but that's personal taste.

29. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

I second. My old 98 4Runner saved my life when I got t-boned, and that thing was a beast in the snow.

30. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

My wife has had a Honda Pilot since 2012. We bought it new and the only thing we have done is the regular maintenance and the timing belt.. zero issues
    Honda or Toyota anything else, no way. just my 2 cents

Energizer and Brewer like this.