• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendations WANTED: Best Mass Compliant Pistol under $1,000

For carry? I'd get a sig 938. I have a 229 but I'm not dedicated enough to lug that thing around with me all the time. It's too ****ing big. Great gun, though. I still need to get a trigger job on mine but it has functioned flawlessly for a LOT of rounds.

For fun? S&W 686.

For carry? I'd get a sig 938. I have a 229 but I'm not dedicated enough to lug that thing around with me all the time. It's too ****ing big. Great gun, though. I still need to get a trigger job on mine but it has functioned flawlessly for a LOT of rounds.

For fun? S&W 686.

Thank you!

"Best" is a subjective term that will have this crew arguing until Springtime. :)

I'll start and argue that the 1911 in 45 ACP is the best pistol period. Others can argue with that after their choice has been proven for 100+ years. For under $1000 you can have your choice of many brands of 1911 with MA (which is an argument in it's own.) FWIW, my choice would be for a SW1911 followed closely by the Sig 1911 Target. That said, it's hard to find a bad one within the Rugers, Remingtons, RIA's, S&W, Sigs and (used) Colts available within the state.

"Best" is a subjective term that will have this crew arguing until Springtime. :)

I'll start and argue that the 1911 in 45 ACP is the best pistol period. Others can argue with that after their choice has been proven for 100+ years. For under $1000 you can have your choice of many brands of 1911 with MA (which is an argument in it's own.) FWIW, my choice would be for a SW1911 followed closely by the Sig 1911 Target. That said, it's hard to find a bad one within the Rugers, Remingtons, RIA's, S&W, Sigs and (used) Colts available within the state.

Thank you. I agree the S&W 1911 is the chit (the previous generation Performance Center is one on the nicest looking pistols you can find anywhere), but I am looking to get something in 9mm or .40. And, although I do like the look of the Pro Series 9mm, I am not sure that I want such a large frame with a 9mm.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know SigPro. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

FNP tactical for me. I dropped the coin on it and will never look back it just fits my hand better than............I have said to much.

Thanks. I will look into it.

its a great gun til it falls in the sand.

Bah- I doubt the Marines would be re-equipping with 1911's if they didn't perform acceptably in sandy spots like Iraq and Afghanistan. Its as battle tested of a handgun design as there is.

+1
sig p226, pref low round count German gun, can be had for around 500. Do an e2 grip upgrade if it suits your hand better and then a SRT trigger kit and you have yourself a sweet gun. Hell, you could send it off to sig or gray guns for a trigger job and you'll still be well under 1k.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

I've heard great things about HK P7M8's. As they are date coded you can prove preban ness and import them into MA.
That being said I have never even dry fired one though but find the squeeze cocker thing intriguing. I've seen them run around $900 recently. For carry they apparently are heavy and people recommend a very good holster as the grip is unbalance (again info from my internet - foo!) Mags only hold 8 rnds, are expensive and if you like to piss away ammo rapid fire they get hot. Seems like they are one of the black/white type guns..... people either love them or despise them.
I bet it would accent any one's pre ban collection though.........
The newer HK's look nice too though.
If you go Sig, look for a nice West German one, just a bit more character.

I've heard great things about HK P7M8's. As they are date coded you can prove preban ness and import them into MA.
That being said I have never even dry fired one though but find the squeeze cocker thing intriguing. I've seen them run around $900 recently. For carry they apparently are heavy and people recommend a very good holster as the grip is unbalance (again info from my internet - foo!) Mags only hold 8 rnds, are expensive and if you like to piss away ammo rapid fire they get hot. Seems like they are one of the black/white type guns..... people either love them or despise them.
I bet it would accent any one's pre ban collection though.........
The newer HK's look nice too though.
If you go Sig, look for a nice West German one, just a bit more character.

Real good insight. Thanks, Night Trooper. I'll definitely check them out. The guy I bought my PSG1 from also had a Hk P9S (not for sale) and he loves it.
Thanks, again.

Just to clarify this, we do NOT have a handgun ban in Massachusetts so there is no such thing as "Pre Ban" handgun unless you are referring to an "assault pistol". Additionally, just because something is "date coded" does NOT necessarily mean it is actually "compliant". In the case of the P7 it is not technically transferable unless it is BOTH pre AG regulations and registered in Massachusetts prior to the AG regs as it is not on the approved firearms roster.

All that being said, I'm not sure why you would care about "lists"

The hk p30s variant 1 is a pretty nice item. You can get it in 9mm and .40 cal. Yes they are expensive, but I only suggest this as you have named your budget in the post. Otherwise , every suggestion that I've read so far seems like good solid advise

Glock 21! Its an extension of my hand and has thousands of rounds through her.

Hi Everyone,

I am mostly a preban rifle collector/shooter but I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the best pistol available in Massachusetts (used preban is okay) with a price tag around $1,000.00. I currently have an M&P, but would like to hear feedback from more experienced pistol owners/shooters. I'd prefer a 9mm, but .40 cal is okay too.

Thanks!!

You could spend about $600 on a Walther P99 or Beretta 92FS and get an utterly reliable 9mm. 15 round pre-ban mags available for the 92FS.

That said - I have SIGs as well. New - about $800 around here. Heavy and expensive but nice hardware. Low round count as well depending on model.

Bah- I doubt the Marines would be re-equipping with 1911's if they didn't perform acceptably in sandy spots like Iraq and Afghanistan. Its as battle tested of a handgun design as there is.

Because the military has never done anything that doesn't make sense before. I mean look at the uniforms it was such a well thought out project that only cost us billions to only be decided they really don't work well later.

Thanks everyone! I have a good list of handguns to check out. The reference to the Pro Series Smith & Wesson 9mm 1911 raised a question in my mind, however. On Smith & Wesson's website they have the 1911 9mm listed as available with a matte finish. But, the 952 was previously listed as available only in the stainless and blue finish, but various other finishes were also produced in limited quantities (matte, two-tone black & stainless, etc.). Does anyone know if this is the case with the 1911's? I would buy one in an instant if I could get it with a blue finish.

Just to clarify this, we do NOT have a handgun ban in Massachusetts so there is no such thing as "Pre Ban" handgun unless you are referring to an "assault pistol". Additionally, just because something is "date coded" does NOT necessarily mean it is actually "compliant". In the case of the P7 it is not technically transferable unless it is BOTH pre AG regulations and registered in Massachusetts prior to the AG regs as it is not on the approved firearms roster.

DRB - Good point and I stand corrected!! I was bantering on a HK long gun forum shortly before this post and did not reorient myself.

DRB - Good point and I stand corrected!! I was bantering on a HK long gun forum shortly before this post and did not reorient myself.

Not an attempt to be a dick on my part with that comment either... As I said, people should be worried and focused a lot less than they are on rosters and lists

I'd say 102 years is a pretty good field test. They've got a good handle by now as to how these guns perform. You're right that they do dumb stuff all of the time, but this one actually makes reasonable sense.

Because the military has never done anything that doesn't make sense before. I mean look at the uniforms it was such a well thought out project that only cost us billions to only be decided they really don't work well later.

its a great gun til it falls in the sand.

Well that's bull and I doubt that you have the actual experience to backup your statement. I carried a 1911 through everything including monsoons and all the red mud that comes along with that weather. My 1911 layed in the mud with me week in and week out with the red mud caked into the checkered plastic grips over a period of time. Through all of that it never malfunctioned. Give us a report on your carry semi auto handgun when you've tortured tested yours in the same manner.

CZ P01.
The only gun to meet NATO standards and have a NSN number.
There just happens to be one in the classifieds...

CZ P01.
The only gun to meet NATO standards and have a NSN number.
There just happens to be one in the classifieds...

CZ makes great guns. If I hadn't decided to build a pistol on the 2011 platform I would have bought a CZ Tactical Sport...

That being said, I wouldn't buy something based on "NATO standards" ever...

Back
Top Bottom