• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendations WANTED: Best Mass Compliant Pistol under $1,000

JFL

Hi Everyone,

I am mostly a preban rifle collector/shooter but I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the best pistol available in Massachusetts (used preban is okay) with a price tag around $1,000.00. I currently have an M&P, but would like to hear feedback from more experienced pistol owners/shooters. I'd prefer a 9mm, but .40 cal is okay too.

Thanks!!

sig p226, pref low round count German gun, can be had for around 500. Do an e2 grip upgrade if it suits your hand better and then a SRT trigger kit and you have yourself a sweet gun. Hell, you could send it off to sig or gray guns for a trigger job and you'll still be well under 1k.

Last edited:
sig p226, pref low round count German gun, can be had for around 500. Do an e2 grip upgrade if it suits your hand better and then a SRT trigger kit and you have yourself a sweet gun. Hell, you could send it off to sig or gray guns for a trigger job and you'll still be well under 1k.

Awesome. Thanks, Josh. People rave about the Sig P226 so that is definitely a consideration. Thanks!

I've got the P226 and can vouch it is a great firearm. Also just got the 22 lr conversion kit for it which is a cheaper way to practice with what maybe your carry gun.
Both the P226 and the converion kit (all new) would bring you to about $1,000.

Glock 19.

You can get pre ban mags for it. 15 round mags fit flush into the gun.

You can carry 17 rounders for backup but they will stick out a bit.

You can even use 33 round happy sticks in the G19 if you can find them.

I'd rather have 15 rounds of 9mm in a Glock than only 10 rounds in an M&P.

Being a Glock, I'd rather have only 10 rounds in a Glock than 10 rounds in a M&P if I only had cripple mags.

Glock 19.

You can get pre ban mags for it. 15 round mags fit flush into the gun.

You can carry 17 rounders for backup but they will stick out a bit.

You can even use 33 round happy sticks in the G19 if you can find them.

I'd rather have 15 rounds of 9mm in a Glock than only 10 rounds in an M&P.

Being a Glock, I'd rather have only 10 rounds in a Glock than 10 rounds in a M&P if I only had cripple mags.

Thanks guys! What about the Hk handguns? I am looking mostly for a range pistol. I've got an RPG for home defense. [smile]

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up!

it's like asking what is the best vehicle for under 20k.
obviously most people have their preferences and what's good for one won't be good for another.
so treat answers with a grain of salt. go to some place like MFS and shoot a bunch of diferent guns and see what YOU like.

Thanks guys! What about the Hk handguns? I am looking mostly for a range pistol. I've got an RPG for home defense. [smile]

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up!

H&K doesn't want you to own their guns because your not good enough.

it's like asking what is the best vehicle for under 20k.
obviously most people have their preferences and what's good for one won't be good for another.
so treat answers with a grain of salt. go to some place like MFS and shoot a bunch of diferent guns and see what YOU like.

That's a good itdea, Mike. The only caveat is that it's like asking what the best vehicle is for under $20K BUT you still live at home with your parents, and your parents are extremely strict and won't let you have a sports car, a 4 x 4 or any car that looks cool or is capable of doing donuts!!

H&K doesn't want you to own their guns because your not good enough.

Too late. I've got a PSG1 sitting in my safe.

- - - Updated - - -

Sig 226 all the way. I have the 226 9, 40, 22(conversion) and 229 40. If you get one with a rail you could get this if you are an accesories happy person. Mine don't have rails.

http://www.sigsauer.com/StoreProductList/adaptive-carbine-platform-116.aspx

Thanks, J.A.C. - It looks like the 226 is pulling away in this race.

either of these, new or used....revolvers are pistols too.

29and19%20800x689.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Sig P229. German frame, NH slide. no problems with it. I either got it before NH supposed QC issues or after they fixed them IDK...thing is a beast and runs like, well, a SIG.

Nothing wrong with a Glock either. They're fine pistols despite all the horseshit the jokers like to say. Just don't get an early model .40. Go with a Gen3 or 4 in 9 or 45 and it's not going to kB any sooner than any other gun would unless your reloading nukes in it.

I recently bought a Karh PM9, MA version and love it. Super small and easy to hide. Great little pistol.

I have a Walther PPS in 9mm and love it. Slightly bigger than the PM9 but still super easy to hide. Has a funky mag release design but I actually like it. Tack driver. I shoot it better than some of my other guns.

M&P: full size, compact, shielld. 9, .40, .45. M&Ps are F-ing great guns. Readily available.

Don't discount wheelguns. Plenty to choose from in MA in various calibers. Maybe a .357 so you can target shoot cheaper .38 special and keep the .357 HPs for home defense.

Decent number of 1911s out there for that price range too.

there's tons of um non AG approved guns in MA if you know where to look and are willing to pay a bit of a premium.

I have a Sig 226 and will NEVER get rid of it. My usual carry gun is a 229 because it is just a little smaller and a bit easier to carry. But I like my 220 as well.

I have some great wheel guns as well, but rarely carry them.

Not a Glock fan but they work.

Hi Everyone,

I am mostly a preban rifle collector/shooter but I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the best pistol available in Massachusetts (used preban is okay) with a price tag around $1,000.00. I currently have an M&P, but would like to hear feedback from more experienced pistol owners/shooters. I'd prefer a 9mm, but .40 cal is okay too.

Thanks!!

HKs P30 series seem pretty popular nowadays. Price tends to float around $825-$895 from what I see.

HKs P30 series seem pretty popular nowadays. Price tends to float around $825-$895 from what I see.

Dream to Dream is that homestar runner? Man that brings back memories.

Reading this tread reminds me of how many guns I want to buy. Im leaning towards a 1911, never had one.

I have a Sig P229. German frame, NH slide. no problems with it. I either got it before NH supposed QC issues or after they fixed them IDK...thing is a beast and runs like, well, a SIG.

Nothing wrong with a Glock either. They're fine pistols despite all the horseshit the jokers like to say. Just don't get an early model .40. Go with a Gen3 or 4 in 9 or 45 and it's not going to kB any sooner than any other gun would unless your reloading nukes in it.

I recently bought a Karh PM9, MA version and love it. Super small and easy to hide. Great little pistol.

I have a Walther PPS in 9mm and love it. Slightly bigger than the PM9 but still super easy to hide. Has a funky mag release design but I actually like it. Tack driver. I shoot it better than some of my other guns.

M&P: full size, compact, shielld. 9, .40, .45. M&Ps are F-ing great guns. Readily available.

Don't discount wheelguns. Plenty to choose from in MA in various calibers. Maybe a .357 so you can target shoot cheaper .38 special and keep the .357 HPs for home defense.

Decent number of 1911s out there for that price range too.

Awesome. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Sig 226 and will NEVER get rid of it. My usual carry gun is a 229 because it is just a little smaller and a bit easier to carry. But I like my 220 as well.

I have some great wheel guns as well, but rarely carry them.

Not a Glock fan but they work.

Thanks, Fencer.

- - - Updated - - -

New/Used S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series?

Thanks! I was checking these out too. I have/had a Performance Center 1911, 952 standards and Long Slide. I know the 9mm Pro Series is a bit higher than I wanted to spend but it is a sharp looking gun.

- - - Updated - - -

Dream to Dream is that homestar runner? Man that brings back memories.

Reading this tread reminds me of how many guns I want to buy. Im leaning towards a 1911, never had one.

The Performance Center that came about before the latest .45's are amazing pieces. I had the Performance Center .45 in Stainless and would like to get one in Blue. Expect to pay around $1,800 - $2,000. Well worth in though, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

either of these, new or used....revolvers are pistols too.

29and19%20800x689.jpg

Thanks Pilgrim. Good point.

H&K doesn't want you to own their guns because you're not good enough.
LOL!!! So they say. [wink]

Must admit that I am lusting for an H&K P30. Fits my hand like a glove. Just can't seem to come up with that much cash before I weaken and spend it on something else... or even two something elses.

The P226 is nice too, but the standard grip is too fat for my hand. Very annoying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom