• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendations for shipping handguns

IIRC most people ship handguns USPS overnight.

Someone will come along shortly to tell me I'm wrong, but if they cross state lines at all, don't they HAVE to go through an FFL?

Only an FFL can ship a handgun through USPS. If you are not an FFL you can go to your local gun shop and have them ship it or ship it yourself through UPS or FedEx. UPS and FedEx require next day air as their policy.

I've shipped handguns to FFL holders via UPS from a depot/hub location. UPS outlet locations might not work out so well.

Have also shipped from my LGS. Shipping via LGS was cheaper and easier than dealing with UPS.

Fed Law says that you can ONLY legally ship to YOURSELF or to/from an FFL to the owner/back.

How would you ship a gun to yourself if it was going to take you a week more or less to get to where the gun was shipped?

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Fed Law says that you can ONLY legally ship to YOURSELF or to/from an FFL to the owner/back.

Thanks Len. I did not know that it was restricted to yourself. I though that only applied to a change of ownership. I guess I will just ship them FFL to FFL.

My brother escaped to a free(r) state in the Carolinas but had left guns in my care until he had it sorted out down there. With the 30 day notice requirement and CHSB expiring the license it makes thinks so much more difficult.

My gawd they make things so hard. It is fricking ridiculous. Every gun owner must be an "undocumented felon".

Thanks again..

Bob

I just had to ship my S&W back to the factory the other day. I was told by them any fedex location but a kinkos one would take it. That wasn't the case since I'm not a FFL none of the 4 locations I called or visited would except it. I live in MA and had to drive it all the way up to the Manchester Airport (Lot easier then driving to Logan) to that fedex location just to get it shipped back to the factory in MA.

FYI: There is a fedex express in Randolph, MA! I love when fedex shows up by 10am to deliver my overnight packages!

I just had to ship my S&W back to the factory the other day. I was told by them any fedex location but a kinkos one would take it. That wasn't the case since I'm not a FFL none of the 4 locations I called or visited would except it. I live in MA and had to drive it all the way up to the Manchester Airport (Lot easier then driving to Logan) to that fedex location just to get it shipped back to the factory in MA.

- - - Updated - - -

Find the local FedEx Express branch that handles the overnight packages and have it held there for pickup! I recommend this, so that it doesn't go out during the daily shipment! Idea also works for the UPS use!

How would you ship a gun to yourself if it was going to take you a week more or less to get to where the gun was shipped?

Has to go to a licensee (FFL not LTC!) when you ship, and many will only accept them from other licensees (FFL). I recommend going thru Precision Point, he charges $25 + priority mail shipping to do it. If what you're shipping fits in a flat rate box, that's going to be the best deal going.

Back
Top Bottom