• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendations for AR optics

Tackdriver VillenTactical

Dealer
NES Member
Looking for quality see thru optics for an AR and I don't know much about them. I will be using fold down sights for close stuff but hoping for optics in the 4X range for work out to 300 yards. Cross hair reticles are preferred. What should I be looking at?

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

How is one able to see/use the iron sights with one of these?

Dave

One of the advantages of the LaRue mount is that it is instantly removable, without tools and without losing zero. In my case, the backup iron sight is in my case or on my person.

Thanks guys.

Dave

The point is not needing to unless necessary. With the LaRue mount however, it's a matter of throwing a lever, removing optic and going to irons. If however you like the idea of a magnified optic and the ability to go to irone with optic on, then I suggest you go for an Aimpoint, Eotech or Tripower with a magnifier on a LaRue mount behind it. This lets you swing the magnifier out of the way and go to irons with ease. You could also go for a Vortex red dot, which comes with a 3x screw in magnifier.

I'd go with a LaRue LT-104 mounting a Bushnell Elite3-9x40 scope, and then YHM QDS, MI SPLP, or Troy flip sights mounted under it.

Thanks guys.

Dave

If you mean at the same time (co-witness), that won't work with any magnified optic. The front post will be so out of focus you won't see it.

If what your looking for is to use your BUIS, I would go with either a eotech or aimpoint with a 3x magnifier with a flip to side mount so U are able to use your BUIS. I think you can get the Eotech package:Eotech552,3Xmagwith the flip to side mount for around $850. I forgot where I saw it.

Last edited:
Another option would be Leupold MK IV MR/T 1.5 - 5 with illuminated reticle. It's less expensive than USO and has more options than an ACOG. Leupold also makes a less expensive non-illuminated reticle version of the sight.

ANYONE HAVE ASUGGESTION ON A ,AR SCOPE FOR THE WORKING POOR GUY BUT QUALITY SCOPE...VARIABLE MAG. ?

Depends on what you plan to do with it?
I had a Millet DMS, sold it to get a Burris XTR 1-4. Much better scope, allows me to shoot a lot faster on 1x, and the drop reticle makes holdover simple. but its 3x the cost

Both scope allow me to shoot 3-300 yards without issue

ANYONE HAVE ASUGGESTION ON A ,AR SCOPE FOR THE WORKING POOR GUY BUT QUALITY SCOPE...VARIABLE MAG. ?

Caps lock man - caps lock...

Get the Millett DMS Burris P.E.P.R combo at SWFA. $265.00 out the door and chicks dig em...

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-PEPR-Combo-P42148.aspx

Like you, I'm on a budget, but you don't need to sacrifice quality for cash flow shortages. The Millett is highly reviewed, been out for a while and is GTG. If you want a red-dot with magnification, go Vortex Strikefire, (red - not green/red). It comes with a 2x magnifier.

4_CompM2-US-Army.jpg

Since we are talking optics, any of the ACOG guys want to comment? I've been thinking about getting one for a while but for the cash I'm just not sure if they are going to suit my needs. I played around with a 4x a couple weeks ago and it just seemed like it would be super slow in close (<25yards). Are the 2x models faster in close, I assume they are still going to be a lot slower than a aimpoint or eotech?

And, in terms of the Millet DMS, I've had one for around 6 months now (it was on my sig 556 before I sold the rifle) and I have not had a problems with it. Seems like a great deal for the money.

Since we are talking optics, any of the ACOG guys want to comment? I've been thinking about getting one for a while but for the cash I'm just not sure if they are going to suit my needs. I played around with a 4x a couple weeks ago and it just seemed like it would be super slow in close (<25yards).

I've had a TA01 four power since the early 90s. At the time I got it, it was a steal for what I paid for it, but I think they are way over priced. They are super rugged and if I was going to war I might buy one, but I don't think I would pay the prices they are asking for them now.

I think the closest I've used it was about 40 yards. You can get them with irons on top if you are concerned with it being slow.

B

Back
Top Bottom