• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendations for a good rifle scope

je25ff

NES Member
My budget is around $1000 for a good scope. The current scope I have is a mil-dot Bushnell Elite 10x40mml Tactical. It's decent, but I'm looking to upgrade. Does anyone have a recommendation? Mil-dot vs. MOA?

Leupold Mark 4. I don't own one but I hear Nikon makes a nice scope too.

I have read and heard decent things about the Leupold scopes. I guess what it comes down to is what magnification I want and whether I want a BDC reticle or dial. I plan on shooting out to 300 yards at the range, but want to eventually move up to 500+ yards for hunting.

I have read and heard decent things about the Leupold scopes. I guess what it comes down to is what magnification I want and whether I want a BDC reticle or dial. I plan on shooting out to 300 yards at the range, but want to eventually move up to 500+ yards for hunting.

What caliber is the gun and what will you be hunting at 500 yards with it?

Dave

What caliber is the gun and what will you be hunting at 500 yards with it?

Dave

It's a .308 Remington 700. I know I can't hunt in MA with it, but someday want to hunt out west. SOME day. So I figured I would invest in a good scope and practice with it.

I really like Zeiss optics. Their retail prices start at $550ish (street price: $400) and go to the $4k range. I have no experience with their more expensive stuff, but I can only assume it gets better.

I have been underwhelmed by the Bushnell Elite line. I am of the opinion that a Zeiss is a MUCH better scope.

If you can do it get a nightforce the glass is amazing .

I don't own one - but I have heard nothing but good things about them. They were always just too expensive for me to get into.

The few scopes purchases I have made I did a lot of shopping around. But I landed back on Leupold each time. I think after I got the first Leupold that was kind if it for me. I was really happy with it and it made an impression on me. It's hard to get into another brand when you personally have no experience with it. These things aren't cheap either. So you really want to make the right choice.

I don't own a Nightforce, Zeiss, or Swarovski. But I hear nothing but the best about each of those brands. I'm sure if you got a Leupold or any of those other named brands - you'll be very very happy.

Last edited:
So if I settle on a Leupold Mark 4, is it better to have a BDC dial or crosshair? Mil-dot or MOA? I suppose for easier ranging, a mil-dot/BDC reticle is probably best?

So if I settle on a Leupold Mark 4, is it better to have a BDC dial or crosshair? Mil-dot or MOA? I suppose for easier ranging, a mil-dot/BDC reticle is probably best?

That will depend on the primary use for the rifle and personal preference. I like the mil-dot but the dots are hard to see in low light against a dark target/background. Some of their models have an illuminated reticle - but you're getting out of your price range at that point.

Its been my experience that those who hunt deer sized game with rifles prefer 3x9 power scopes. Too much magnification makes target acquisition at closer ranges more difficult. And in the forest 9x is usually sufficient for the distances they deal with. But that may be insufficient for target shooting. Something around 14x or 16x or more is what you would be looking at if target shooting was the primary use. That would do you fine to about 300 yards. If you want to see the bulls-eye at 500 yards shooting from a bench you'll probably want to be around 20x. You're getting into tall coin at that point.

But its all personal preference. Someone may post after this that to hunt deer inside of 100 yards they think a 20x scope is the only logical choice and they target shoot to 500 yards with iron sights. So I'm afraid there is no definitive answer here.

I just scored a NF NXS 2.5-10x32 with mil/mil... it's absolutely incredible, and used is only a little bit over budget for you depending on reticle... in budget if you don't need/want mil/mil. That said, the Mark 4 is a great piece of glass as well... but in my opinion and experience the NF trumps until you start talking S&B and the higher end US Optics.

Quite worth it! I have the 6.5-20x50 M1. At 100yds u can touch the target. 200yds is where it starts to perform. Clear, precise repeatable targeting, sub-moa. 300-500yds u have to work, but the scope is incredible clear.
I wish I could afford a Nightforce or higher optic Leupold, but for what I paid, I have an awesome scope, you'll love yours!!!!

Quite worth it! I have the 6.5-20x50 M1. At 100yds u can touch the target. 200yds is where it starts to perform. Clear, precise repeatable targeting, sub-moa. 300-500yds u have to work, but the scope is incredible clear.
I wish I could afford a Nightforce or higher optic Leupold, but for what I paid, I have an awesome scope, you'll love yours!!!!

I think I checked to see if they had an illuminated reticle for this model type but I couldn't find one. I think it adds some $$ to the price tag anyways. It also came with these mount rings:

A.R.M.S. #22 Scope Rings

It just has a lever to secure the base of the rings to the horizontal mount above the action. Pretty handy but we'll see if they're sturdy.

I changed to low profile Leupold rings. Granted the scope is pretty long with the sun-shade on, but these rings lowered the the scope to make it "more" a part of the rifle. They r around $30-40 bucks an r the best I've seen at secure.

So I took this to the range and got it zeroed at 100. Went to the 200/300 range and holy crap what a difference.

Back
Top Bottom