Recommendations for 80% finishing kits for ARs and AKs

For all you builders out there

What are some good sets to get started in finishing 80% receivers for both of these platforms? Starting to feel like its a good time to start stockpiling some items

Lots of info on AK builds, pressing in the barrel, heat treating the receiver and more in this forum. Good luck. Matt
doesn't the barrel have to be pressed in if you diy?

In some builds a home made press with a bottle jack and a wheel-based-frame might possibly have been used to do this.

Just an FYI for people in this thread
I was thinking of starting with Polish Radom AKM 7.62x39 80 Percent Receiver 100% Made in Poland w/ rails and center support installed, fully heat treated, and Black Oxide Finish for an 80% Ak. Already bent, and heat treated. Just needs a jig to finish the holes and you're good to go.
Pressing of the barrel for 7.62x39 can be gerry-rigged with some threaded rod, so says AK builder websites. Rivets can be pounded in with a kit or basic hand tools.

Only asking to see what people recommend who have done this before. More than capable of googling, but direct recommendation means more than a post on a random forum I never go on.

I was thinking of starting with Polish Radom AKM 7.62x39 80 Percent Receiver 100% Made in Poland w/ rails and center support installed, fully heat treated, and Black Oxide Finish for an 80% Ak. Already bent, and heat treated. Just needs a jig to finish the holes and you're good to go.
Pressing of the barrel for 7.62x39 can be gerry-rigged with some threaded rod, so says AK builder websites. Rivets can be pounded in with a kit or basic hand tools.

Only asking to see what people recommend who have done this before. More than capable of googling, but direct recommendation means more than a post on a random forum I never go on.

The jig to drill the holes costs IIRC about $100. Still better than buying the bending jig, spot welder and having to heat treat.

It would be worth mentioning what kind of tooling you have access to. A lathe, mill, and press? Or just a hammer, vise grip, and hacksaw?

Anyway, buy the parts while still relatively cheap. And ammo. And magazines. Figure out the building later.

I watched a bunch of that guy's videos on building the AK. Now I remember why I didn't. LOL. Even with his tools, it's beyond me. And "illegal" now besides the point.

After some of these comments, I was shocked I never heard of an 80% lower.. then started to watch some videos.. Ummm Ya. I stand by my original shock that building an AK 80 is a little unusual. One bad video after another. Looks like you need to be an engineer and there's no wonder Brownells doesn't offer anything related to an AK80 build.

Only fixed 10 round or bolt action for Mass.

Only if you care about Maura’s “not actually law” edict. Additionally, even if you do think it applies to AWB compliant AR type rifles, by the very meaning of words in our dictionary it can’t apply to AR-10 variants no matter what she says. The AR-10 predates the AR-15 and cannot therefore be a copy of an AR-15.

Of course none of this prevents her from wrongfully prosecuting someone, but everybody with a post-94 AR is a felon in waiting in her eyes anyway.

Last edited:

Oh, NH here, not mass
In a free state I cant really fathom why you would want to build a AK? Unless you just want to do it for fun.
Funny i sold off my AK kits during obama Sales II the guy i sold to them to just finally finished one build. As he bought all the tools to do it then moved to a free state. He built one out just to do it. I bought several kits and 5 flats years ago when they where cheap. i want to say the flats $12 back then ?

Thread resurrection time. I don't see where the OP's question got answered. What does the NES brain trust say on AK build kits?

Back
Top Bottom