1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for an air compressor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ochmude, Aug 19, 2012.

1. ochmude

ochmude Marine Veteran

I'd like to get a portable air compressor, the kind that you plug into a cigarette lighter outlet. I'd need something that could air up off-road tires on a Silverado up to 35-40 psi, and won't fall apart or burn out when I reeeeally need it. Any recommendations?

2. Almostelmo

Almostelmo

1 person likes this.
  3. warwickben

warwickben bubba Kalashnikov NES Member

The sears craftsman brand one isn't that bad and if it breaks you can general get it replaced or fixed at a decent price.

My rx8 does not have a spare tire option . Just a can of fix a flat and a small pump. I've had a few brands over the years and they all seem to kinda suck after a year or two I had one break over the winter, i think it was moister that froze and then broke some thing inside the pump. Probably doesn't help the bouncing around . I have a case that holds the pump and a can of fix a flat, that straps in to the trunk and I still hear it bouncing.

Update didn't know They made one.
    If its like any thing else with there name on it id say get it.

Posted from my iPhone10g
    Remington 1911r1
    Walther p38 made early 45
    Remington sportsman58 12g
    Early type 99.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  4. ochmude

ochmude Marine Veteran

That could work. Any personal experience with it? I'm definitely willing to pay for quality. I occasionally find myself in some rather remote areas with no cell or radio contact and am only able to carry one spare tire.

Lol, freezing won't be an issue. It would be used in the Sonoran Desert in southern Arizona.

5. warwickben

warwickben bubba Kalashnikov NES Member

I thought weather was the same as MA every where........

But I thought it still can freeze at night ?

Posted from my iPhone10g
    Remington 1911r1
    Walther p38 made early 45
    Remington sportsman58 12g
    Early type 99.

6. Almostelmo

Almostelmo

No personal experience with the Warn unit, sorry...it was just the first one to pop into my head. You may want to look into Viair units as well.

7. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

Those compressors that have a self contained battery or connect to the lighter plug are dreadfully slow at filling tires.
    Even my little 12" trailer tires take an awful long time to reach the correct pressure, and the tiny compressor gets wicked hot by the time it's done.
    Large off-road truck tires will take forever to fill with one of those, that's if the compressor doesn't melt down first.
    If the tire is off the bead, forget about it, it ain't happening.
    The one Almostelmo suggested is a much better choice, but it's bigger, heavier, and needs to be clamped directly to the vehicles battery to get the amperage it needs.
    If your tire is off the bead, you really need a compressor with a tank to give you the initial CFM flow needed to seat the bead.
    They're not exactly cheap, but one like this Puma will get you out of a jam, it'll even run air tools like an impact gun.

http://www.pumaaircompressor.net/buy-puma-air-compressor-12v-online/

[​IMG]

It's actually smaller than it looks in the photo, the bottom tank is 1.05 gallons.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  8. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    This draws too much for a lighter plug, but it really works great. Been using mine for quite a few years.

[​IMG]

Compressor

It's not as compact as the little 12v, but it will move air like a much larger unit.

1 person likes this.
  9. Almostelmo

Almostelmo

Check out Powertank too. It's a bottle of compressed Co2. Yes, you have to have it refilled at a station, but they are faster and less complicated than air compressors.

Here's a chart of refill times and how many refills a bottle will do before needing to be refilled. http://powertank.com/full.chart.html

Plus, like any air compressor with a built in tank like the one Zappa posted about, it will run air tools.

10. TY43215

TY43215 NES Member

+1 Link Many different models at good prices and performance. As their ad says "Tools Not Toys"

11. Malodave

Malodave

I have a Viair 480C 200psi Compressor ($190 @ amazon.com) showing up tommorow
    to mount on my '08 Dodge Ram pickup. I already installed a 5 gallon tank under the cab
    for the Hornblasters.com Shocker Train Horns. I also added a 1/4" quick connector for
    air tools and airing tires up.

Malodave

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. dnepro-mike

dnepro-mike

i had purchased 4 or 5 compressors that you are talking about and all of them served me well on very few occasions. i bought cheap ones 10-12 bucks from places like walmart, harborfreight , home depot, lowes

one thing i suggest is to have a built in pressure gauge, it makes lige much easier.

don't go with electronic stuff that requires batteries or fancy fetures like auto shut-off, or detachable gauge thingy.

I have this kit in one of my cars since 2005. used half dozen times. it works.
    \
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Roadside-Repair-Kit/14254132

1 person likes this.
  13. Malodave

Malodave

The Only problem with tire sealants is the TPMS sensors in the tires.
    Mine is in the inflation valve and any sealant would damage it. I believe
    a replacement valve is about $100 for my vehicle from the dealer, plus
    labor to change it.

Malodave

14. Friday

Friday NES Member

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-137-cyclepump-adventure-combo-wgauge.aspx

A lot of the adventure bikers use this with good results. Also, a lot of bike guys will buy the wally world $8-10 pumps and strip the huge plastic housings off them and get a very similar compact pump. The Slime pumps also are reported to be decent, if not a little bulky. You can strip off the plastic if space is a concern.

15. swampy

swampy NES Member

Get a 120V compressor and install a power inverter.

I was able to get 50psi into the 20 inch tire on my F-250 with one of those little yellow Harbor Freight 12v compressors. It took a while but it did work. I think the thing was $8 on sale.

16. Chet0729

Chet0729

The battery compressors work but they are SLOOOOOOOOOOW. I had one in my trunk for a long time, think it was a Sears. I never used it for me but helped a few people out with it.

17. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

I have one similar to the first link to the warn site, not a warn name brand but looks exactly like it. It's worked for 5+ years, and I leave it outside in the rain a lot. You have to clamp it onto the battery. It's OK for filling up tires a little big but filling up 36" tires that are aired down to 8psi it takes FOREVER!! I suggest trying someones pump on your truck with your tires aired down to where you will normally be airing them down to. If you're not airing down too much, it may be acceptable. Plumbing one to an air tank mounted in the bed would help make it a little faster as you could turn the pump on and get the tank pressurized prior to airing up.

Personally, I have a 15# co2 tank that I use to air up my tires. It also runs any type of air tool when on the trail, which has been a lifesaver. You can get the fancy powertank thing or just get a co2 tank used for cheap from any welding or fire extinguisher place.

1 person likes this.
  18. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

1 person likes this.
  19. Boghog1

Boghog1

don't do the plugs into cigarette lighter jobs, they such

20. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Oh, and one more idea.
    Before I got the compressor, I kept a good bicycle pump in my tool box. Don't laugh. It worked EVERYTIME, and got me to a filling station to top off PSI.
    Best kind will pump on up & downstroke.
    ~Matt

21. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I would try to find one with either a zinc plated or stainless tank. There is a lot of water that condenses on the bottom of the tank, and it will eventually rust out. Rusty tank + 90 psi = boom

1 person likes this.
  22. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

He speaks truth.

If you are talking about airing down so you can go rock crawling then air up for the street, do yourself a favor and get a real compressor hard wired to the vehicle.

OTOH, if you just want to puff up the tires when they look a little soft, HF or Walmart $15 compressors will do just fine.

1 person likes this.