Recommendation for an air compressor

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'd like to get a portable air compressor, the kind that you plug into a cigarette lighter outlet. I'd need something that could air up off-road tires on a Silverado up to 35-40 psi, and won't fall apart or burn out when I reeeeally need it. Any recommendations?

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The sears craftsman brand one isn't that bad and if it breaks you can general get it replaced or fixed at a decent price.

My rx8 does not have a spare tire option . Just a can of fix a flat and a small pump. I've had a few brands over the years and they all seem to kinda suck after a year or two I had one break over the winter, i think it was moister that froze and then broke some thing inside the pump. Probably doesn't help the bouncing around . I have a case that holds the pump and a can of fix a flat, that straps in to the trunk and I still hear it bouncing.

Update didn't know They made one.
If its like any thing else with there name on it id say get it.

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Walther p38 made early 45
Remington sportsman58 12g
Early type 99.

Last edited:

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
How much are you looking to spend?

I'm sure this would more than meet your needs, although it needs to be clamped directly to the battery.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Warn-Air-Power-SPC-Compressor-p-19307.html
That could work. Any personal experience with it? I'm definitely willing to pay for quality. I occasionally find myself in some rather remote areas with no cell or radio contact and am only able to carry one spare tire.

The sears craftsman brand one isn't that bad and if it breaks you can general get it replaced or fixed at a decent price.

My rx8 does not have a spare tire option . Just a can of fix a flat and a small pump. I've had a few brands over the years and they all seem to kinda suck . I had one break over the winter, i think it was moister that froze and then broke some thing inside the pump.
Lol, freezing won't be an issue. It would be used in the Sonoran Desert in southern Arizona.

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I thought weather was the same as MA every where........

But I thought it still can freeze at night ?

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Walther p38 made early 45
Remington sportsman58 12g
Early type 99.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
That could work. Any personal experience with it? I'm definitely willing to pay for quality. I occasionally find myself in some rather remote areas with no cell or radio contact and am only able to carry one spare tire.
No personal experience with the Warn unit, sorry...it was just the first one to pop into my head. You may want to look into Viair units as well.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Those compressors that have a self contained battery or connect to the lighter plug are dreadfully slow at filling tires.
Even my little 12" trailer tires take an awful long time to reach the correct pressure, and the tiny compressor gets wicked hot by the time it's done.
Large off-road truck tires will take forever to fill with one of those, that's if the compressor doesn't melt down first.
If the tire is off the bead, forget about it, it ain't happening.
The one Almostelmo suggested is a much better choice, but it's bigger, heavier, and needs to be clamped directly to the vehicles battery to get the amperage it needs.
If your tire is off the bead, you really need a compressor with a tank to give you the initial CFM flow needed to seat the bead.
They're not exactly cheap, but one like this Puma will get you out of a jam, it'll even run air tools like an impact gun.

http://www.pumaaircompressor.net/buy-puma-air-compressor-12v-online/

It's actually smaller than it looks in the photo, the bottom tank is 1.05 gallons.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Check out Powertank too. It's a bottle of compressed Co2. Yes, you have to have it refilled at a station, but they are faster and less complicated than air compressors.

Here's a chart of refill times and how many refills a bottle will do before needing to be refilled. http://powertank.com/full.chart.html

Plus, like any air compressor with a built in tank like the one Zappa posted about, it will run air tools.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a Viair 480C 200psi Compressor ($190 @ amazon.com) showing up tommorow
to mount on my '08 Dodge Ram pickup. I already installed a 5 gallon tank under the cab
for the Hornblasters.com Shocker Train Horns. I also added a 1/4" quick connector for
air tools and airing tires up.

Malodave

Last edited:
Rating - 95%
19   1   0
i had purchased 4 or 5 compressors that you are talking about and all of them served me well on very few occasions. i bought cheap ones 10-12 bucks from places like walmart, harborfreight , home depot, lowes

one thing i suggest is to have a built in pressure gauge, it makes lige much easier.

don't go with electronic stuff that requires batteries or fancy fetures like auto shut-off, or detachable gauge thingy.

I have this kit in one of my cars since 2005. used half dozen times. it works.
\
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Roadside-Repair-Kit/14254132

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The Only problem with tire sealants is the TPMS sensors in the tires.
Mine is in the inflation valve and any sealant would damage it. I believe
a replacement valve is about $100 for my vehicle from the dealer, plus
labor to change it.

Malodave

Friday

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-137-cyclepump-adventure-combo-wgauge.aspx

A lot of the adventure bikers use this with good results. Also, a lot of bike guys will buy the wally world $8-10 pumps and strip the huge plastic housings off them and get a very similar compact pump. The Slime pumps also are reported to be decent, if not a little bulky. You can strip off the plastic if space is a concern.

swampy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Get a 120V compressor and install a power inverter.

I was able to get 50psi into the 20 inch tire on my F-250 with one of those little yellow Harbor Freight 12v compressors. It took a while but it did work. I think the thing was $8 on sale.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The battery compressors work but they are SLOOOOOOOOOOW. I had one in my trunk for a long time, think it was a Sears. I never used it for me but helped a few people out with it.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one similar to the first link to the warn site, not a warn name brand but looks exactly like it. It's worked for 5+ years, and I leave it outside in the rain a lot. You have to clamp it onto the battery. It's OK for filling up tires a little big but filling up 36" tires that are aired down to 8psi it takes FOREVER!! I suggest trying someones pump on your truck with your tires aired down to where you will normally be airing them down to. If you're not airing down too much, it may be acceptable. Plumbing one to an air tank mounted in the bed would help make it a little faster as you could turn the pump on and get the tank pressurized prior to airing up.

Personally, I have a 15# co2 tank that I use to air up my tires. It also runs any type of air tool when on the trail, which has been a lifesaver. You can get the fancy powertank thing or just get a co2 tank used for cheap from any welding or fire extinguisher place.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Oh, and one more idea.
Before I got the compressor, I kept a good bicycle pump in my tool box. Don't laugh. It worked EVERYTIME, and got me to a filling station to top off PSI.
Best kind will pump on up & downstroke.
~Matt

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try to find one with either a zinc plated or stainless tank. There is a lot of water that condenses on the bottom of the tank, and it will eventually rust out. Rusty tank + 90 psi = boom

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
. . .
Large off-road truck tires will take forever to fill with one of those, that's if the compressor doesn't melt down first.
If the tire is off the bead, forget about it, it ain't happening.
. . .
He speaks truth.

If you are talking about airing down so you can go rock crawling then air up for the street, do yourself a favor and get a real compressor hard wired to the vehicle.

OTOH, if you just want to puff up the tires when they look a little soft, HF or Walmart $15 compressors will do just fine.

Top Bottom