Recommend me a Good Knife Sharpener

Artie

NES Member
Looking for a good knife sharpener that won't break the bank but will take care of kitchen, garage, fishing and EDC/pocket knifes. Maybe something under $60 that doesnt take up too much room. I have ruined more knifes trying stones and just want the easy way out now. Thanks in advance. This is what I have tried:
20190209_141757.jpg
-Artie

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I have tried stones and just can't seem to get it to work well. Looking for something that sets the angle for me and I just pull it through several times and comes out sharp.
It comes with a guide

For kitchen knives, I just use knives ship free strops with the three different compounds they sell.

I keep diamond plates for reshaping and water stones for sharpening and then strops for polishing.

Having said that, I also got a Ken Onion Work Sharp with the grinder attachment and for friends who absolutely trash their edges regularly, a few passes on coarse, a few on fine and they are super happy. I also use it on a lot of my tools. Not chisels, but rougher use stuff.

Chef’s Choice Pronto and they run about $40. Got one based on America’s Test Kitchen recommendation and have been very happy with it.

I have had good luck with a Spyderco sharpmaker. I keep a good stone around to clean up issues and then the sharpmaker sets things right.

Also use a Smiths adjustable angle thingy for the kitchen knives if I don't have time for the Spyderco or if they are really gnarly.

Knife sharpening is a slippery slope. Like a drug addict you're always looking for a blade as sharp as first cut of a good knife.

I have spent a lot of money in pursuit of that "high". Here's what I use know and it's damn good:

TSPROF - The Russian Sharpener - Buy Profil K02

Before that I used the following with excellent results:

KME Precision Knife Sharpening System With Stand - Wisemen Trading and Supply

My name is Rich and I'm an addict...

FYI if you can up your budget you won't regret the KME rig. It's very good for the money.

Should have asked. What brand of kitchen knives do you have? German are sometimes very soft, Japanese can be very hard and American can be anywhere in between.

The sharpener recommended above from America's test kitchen is good for most kitchen knives. Les so for stuff in the garage.

I will also leave this here for viewing pleasure.

Lansky set. Get the extra fine diamond stone too. I’ve been using mine on my kitchen, utility, EDC, and hunting knives for years. Simple, relatively cheap, and creates a perfect razor edge. I can dress out a pheasant in seconds with my freshly sharpened bird knife.

Lansky set. Get the extra fine diamond stone too. I’ve been using mine on my kitchen, utility, EDC, and hunting knives for years. Simple, relatively cheap, and creates a perfect razor edge. I can dress out a pheasant in seconds with my freshly sharpened bird knife.

I use the Lansky set as well but instead of the fine stone I strop on a leather strop with stropping compound. It will everything I need except serrated. You need a sharpening rod for that.

Bob

Sur La Table will sharpen a knife for $5. They use a machine when possible but the one at the Natick mall will do my wife's Kramer chef knife by hand on water stones. Also $5. We get it touched up there once a year.

I use a gatco system for my pocket knives.

I use the Gatco system. Like the Lansky system, it uses a bracket and stones with rods. Over time I've added a couple of stones. My best advice is to buy a couple of crappy knives to practice on before you try and work on your good stuff

View: https://youtu.be/_CbPK4k-gJs

Get one of these sanders for 30 bucks and get finer belts.

This what I use. I mainly just use the leather belt, but if I need to regrind the edge I'll use 800 grit and then finish with leather. It's the easiest way and fastest way to get a knife shaving sharp. I've used every method under the sun over the years but nothing is quicker and easier than a 1"x30" belt sander. I almost violated my own rules and bought the China Freight ersion for $60 but I just can't get myself to give money to that junkfest. I ended up buying a Craftsman and I couldn't be happier.

Back
Top Bottom