Recommend me a 22 pistol

If your guns are 1911s, look at the Tactical Solutions .22 conversion kits.

This. If you both have carry 1911's and want practice buy a conversion. Just do some research. I borrowed one conversion kit, I think it was a Marvel and I had to remove the ejector from my 9mm STI Spartan frame. I borrowed a TacSol and it worked.... maybe I have those backwards.

Another for the SR22. Chews through everything. Probably have 15,000 rounds through it. Just starting to have some failure to fires. But I will attribute that to being dirty. I have never done anything but A Field strip.

SR-22 is better with the thicker grip installed for larger hands. Also get this from TK, which helps:

View attachment 372792
Even with the fuller grip, it's tiny (and the OP's hands are probably as big as mine). I love it for teaching students who are smaller than me, but it swims around in my hands just like my (equally petite) Bearcat. That said, if it's mostly for Mrs Radtek, she might not run into the same problems.

At some point I'll probably trade it for a MkIV 22/45 (for exactly the reasons above) or a S&W M&P22C. If I liked shooting my Glock more, I'd consider the G44...

Recommend: Ruger MK IV Lite
A lot easier to break down than your mk2
and the lite is a lot lighter so I shoot many more rounds before my hands get tired

Avoid: Ruger SR22. The upside down safety is a very dangerous habit to reinforce.

I have a GSG made Sig Sauer 1911-22, and a Glock 44. The Sig is incredibly fun to shoot for about 300 rounds, then it starts to act up until you clean it. 300 isn't much when two of you are shooting. The Glock 44 started off frustratingly... quite a few misfires in the first 300 rounds. After that, it settled in and will shoot anything I feed it. I think its around the 2k mark now and there have been no hiccups since the first range trip.

I agree with the Ruger MK whatever. Awesome shooters...

I have a Colt Ace kit for my 1911 that I liked so much I got another 1911 to be a full time host for it.

then I would suggest a good revolver, either a double action s@w or a single action like a colt new frontier of Ruger single six..

I would avoid any plinker types as non accurate 22s are just not exciting.

I have had many of them listed hear, M&P compact if you want something to duplicate a carry pistol like a shield, or any of the ruger MK's or 22/45 for plinking. is what I would recommend..... I do have a walther p22 oddly enough is runs flawlessly, but the slide wore out after many, many thousand rounds, S&W rebuilt entire gun for free......but Way better choices available nowadays for a semi polymer pistol

Last edited:
Recommend: Ruger MK IV Lite
A lot easier to break down than your mk2
and the lite is a lot lighter so I shoot many more rounds before my hands get tired

Avoid: Ruger SR22. The upside down safety is a very dangerous habit to reinforce.
Safety isn't an issue with that gun. If it is then the fix is easy...always leave if OFF.

Not much love here, but I just picked up a used Charter Arms Pathfinder revolver. It reminds me of the S & W Model 63 kit my late shooting mentor trained me on. This gun will be used for training new shooters, target work, and will compliment the Ruger Mark 1 Standard, and a brace of High Standard Bullseye guns.

I got caught short of 22 std velocity during the last crisis, NOT THIS TIME!

Like the Ruger Standard, the Pathfinder will shoot anything with the advantage of adjustable sights.

With the prices and lack of availability of centerfire ammo, 22 seems to be the way to go in the foreseeable future.

Check out the Taurus TX22. I know, it's a Taurus, but they really did a great job on it. Plenty of rave reviews out there on them.
I have an SR22 that has been very, very reliable for any 22 ammo. But I hear the Taurus is really everything the Glock should have been, ironically.

Don't get this, is it the weight? at 17+ ounces, it weighs more than the Glock 44 and S&W 22 compact and with 17 rounds in it, much heavier.
I'm using 10 rounders and transitions on steel are taking me some time to get used to. Lots of fine guns mentioned.20200714_170401.jpg

Love my SR22
Bought it for wifey to learn with and we both ended up shooting it a ton over the last 5 years.
My little one is 11 and she’s just learning with it.
Great pistol and cheap
Ours is very accurate

Attachments

• E7AB54D2-C627-44BF-9928-A6203D90950A.jpeg
    E7AB54D2-C627-44BF-9928-A6203D90950A.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom