Recommend me 1911 sights and a local gunsmith

kalash

NES Member
I want to replace the GI sights on my RIA with a fiberoptic front and a blacked out adjustable rear. Dawson only lists fixed rears for the Rock.

1. What sights so y'all recommend? The gun will be used for IDPA and range fun. Should I get adjustable Dawson for a different 1911 and have a smith figure out the installation? What height and width for the two sights?
  2. Recommend me a gunsmith, preferably in the metrowest area or up near Harvard.
Thanks.

My TRP shoots great with the fixed sights that came on it, a set of Wilsons with a FO front. I would assume that the Dawsons will be pretty close.

A bit of a drive for you but if you're looking for a 1911 guy, there's an abundance of good feedback from NES on Mr. Santurri - Santurri Ltd. Gallery

A shaolin master of 1911 customizing in case you ever want more work done on your piece.

My TRP shoots great with the fixed sights that came on it, a set of Wilsons with a FO front. I would assume that the Dawsons will be pretty close.
My main reasons for seeking adjustment are a) I don't know that a gunsmith who installs the sights will go out and zero them at the range, and b) since there are so many front sight height options to choose from, an adjustable rear will allow me to set the sights properly.

whats on it now?
link to the model or show a photo
If they are dovetailed in, it must be one of the common dovetail cuts. A gunsmith will be able to measure the angle of those dovetails so you can order the correct ones from Dawson. Or a call in to Dawson might help

My main reasons for seeking adjustment are a) I don't know that a gunsmith who installs the sights will go out and zero them at the range, and b) since there are so many front sight height options to choose from, an adjustable rear will allow me to set the sights properly.

Greg has shot my pistol, it was an option, when doing sight work. The grouping was impressive. [laugh]

1644957539015.png

whats on it now?
link to the model or show a photo
If they are dovetailed in, it must be one of the common dovetail cuts. A gunsmith will be able to measure the angle of those dovetails so you can order the correct ones from Dawson. Or a call in to Dawson might help
As far as I can tell the front is staked in and the rear is Novak style but not to actual Novak specs. I'm guessing that both front and rear will need some slide work no matter what.

Edit: actually the rear looks more like standard Colt govt than Novak, I don't know why RIA says it's Novak.

IMG_20220215_155647.jpg

Last edited:
If you looking for cheap, might be best to do a new rock island slide, hoper gun works, ebay, just look around. Time you by new sights and have a gunsmith cut your slide, you will spend a lot.

Attachments

• 3A2B8FBD-4AD5-4BB3-8A4D-207ED00C84E7.png
    3A2B8FBD-4AD5-4BB3-8A4D-207ED00C84E7.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 12
esarco has deals from time to time. I like Dawson sights, usually run them on the 1911’s I make. Bottom is a .45 with Dawson, the top is a custom 7 inch 9mm doublestack with rock island with their adjustables.

Attachments

• ED444501-B014-4703-810A-7516396F55F2.jpeg
    ED444501-B014-4703-810A-7516396F55F2.jpeg
    664.3 KB · Views: 12
If you looking for cheap, might be best to do a new rock island slide, hoper gun works, ebay, just look around. Time you by new sights and have a gunsmith cut your slide, you will spend a lot.
Not a bad idea...

Not necessarily looking for cheapest possible. I'm having fun with this gun. Picked it up for $250, it shot well, so now I'm on a mission to win some matches with an ugly duckling beater. Between the magwell, grips, trigger, hammer, and beavertail I'm already well past the original purchase price of the gun. Like I said, just having fun with it.

As far as I can tell the front is staked in and the rear is Novak style but not to actual Novak specs. I'm guessing that both front and rear will need some slide work no matter what.

Edit: actually the rear looks more like standard Colt govt than Novak, I don't know why RIA says it's Novak.

View attachment 577391

A gunsmith can easily mill that slide front and rear for novak sights.
Dawson Precision Novak Cut 1911 Adjustable Black Rear Sight
Dawson Precision Novak Cut Fiber Optic Front Sights

The front height you need will depend on how deep the shelf for the rear is milled, your gunsmith can help determine what exactly to order

Not a bad idea...

Not necessarily looking for cheapest possible. I'm having fun with this gun. Picked it up for $250, it shot well, so now I'm on a mission to win some matches with an ugly duckling beater. Between the magwell, grips, trigger, hammer, and beavertail I'm already well past the original purchase price of the gun. Like I said, just having fun with it.

Have you thought about sending it to Novak? You just pick a sight option (or tell them what you’re looking to do) and mail them your slide. They do the milling and everything. Prices are on their website. I did it for one of my 1911’s and the turn around time was about a week and a half shipping included.

7DBA2BAD-9C5E-4830-A0C7-C470D83B3203.jpegF40C4DD3-D8D3-47FC-8B51-617DDD007EF5.jpeg

I had George Saati (Northeast Gun Works) install new Novak low mount sights on my FrankenPara a couple years back now. He did great work on it. I had bought sites (from Amazon) that were NOT true to the Novak spec (they were TruGlo). He ended up getting actual Novak sights for me and installed them.

I'm planning to use him in the future for any actual gunsmith work I need done. Such as if I end up getting a RIA 1911 (9mm, high capacity version) and want either different sights or to get it machined or a dot. IME/IMO, George's prices are reasonable for the quality of work he does. Plus, he's in NH. Which means I don't need to worry about getting a firearm to/from him (I don't have a permission slip for that state).

According to the 1911 Forum, your RIA GI pistol has GI., Standard, or Mil Spec. sights. They are all the same. The rear dovetail is .330''x65% the front is a stake on sight, Narrow Tenon .055’’. So any sight that will fit a gov model 1911-A1 should work. For example this LPA sight should fit:

I want to replace the GI sights on my RIA with a fiberoptic front and a blacked out adjustable rear. Dawson only lists fixed rears for the Rock.

1. What sights so y'all recommend? The gun will be used for IDPA and range fun. Should I get adjustable Dawson for a different 1911 and have a smith figure out the installation? What height and width for the two sights?
  2. Recommend me a gunsmith, preferably in the metrowest area or up near Harvard.
Thanks.
If your unsure of the sights you want talk to a smith first , Greg Derr is worth the call .
He can recommend sights for your use

I have adjustable rear sight on most of my range pistols because I want to easily adjust to changing ammo, light , distances.

Greg Derr has installed match sights for me, scope mounts, and other repairs.

I have old school bo-Mar rear sights on my 1911s

Heck If I could put a M1 garand rear sight on I think I would! Lol

Last edited:
Looks like Novak sights are the closest match to fit their dovetail. I only use Dawson front sights. But I used the factory rear sight on my Dan Wesson 1911 - I think it’s made by Kensight possibly.

I found this on Reddit regarding RIA sights. Looks like you can send it to the factory?
76154BBF-FC64-4973-B5A6-612F000DFA96.png
Otherwise get a Novak rear sight from Dawson and have a smith fit it. I’d say Northeast Arms or Lou Biondo at Business End Customs in Peabody. He builds 1911s so he’ll definitely know.

Just to be clear, RIA has two different 1911s their GI standard and their Tac. The Tac comes with front and rear dovetails. Again from the 1911 Forum:

The sights on the Tac are almost a Novak cut, the rear is .487''x 65% the true Novak cut is .495'' x 65%. Novak front sights are .330''x65% x.060'' or .075'' deep, the RIA is .330''x 65% x .085'' deep.

I would have the slide cut for sights that you like. And would use Business End to do the work

For action shooting I like a narrow fiber optic front sight and a wide rear blacked out notch. I find the extra light on either side of the sights makes it eaier to look thru your sights

I would have the slide cut for sights that you like. And would use Business End to do the work

For action shooting I like a narrow fiber optic front sight and a wide rear blacked out notch. I find the extra light on either side of the sights makes it eaier to look thru your sights
Same. I also like the narrow front sight for those occasional 50 yard shots at a match lol. Or a plate rack at 40ish yards. I remember that Hopkinton stage fondly…I’m sure SJan does too…

Same. I also like the narrow front sight for those occasional 50 yard shots at a match lol. Or a plate rack at 40ish yards. I remember that Hopkinton stage fondly…I’m sure SJan does too…
Funny how things get exaggerated. The bays are barely 30 yards from berm to edge of concrete pad under the cover, so plate rack to shooting area was probably 25 yards.

Back on topic, I too like the narrow front ( .090 or .100) Dawson will have these in various heights, where as Novak and many other sight makers only offer something like .120 or .130 widths. It may not sound like much, but it is.

Funny how things get exaggerated. The bays are barely 30 yards from berm to edge of concrete pad under the cover, so plate rack to shooting area was probably 25 yards.
My bad. I was waaay off.
I know there’s been some 40-50 yard shots at sanctioned IDPA matches over the years though. New England Regionals I believe.

Anyway, carry on!

Back
Top Bottom