• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommend a trauma kit

union

NES Member
Wasn't sure where to put this so I figured this would get the most exposure. After a few years of living off my friends memberships I'm going to be joining a club. Means more shooting in my future and being around more shooters. I'd like to have a trauma kit on hand just in case. I don't want to have to rely on others. I currently have a Blue Force gear kit but that is for home. I'm happy with it I suppose. Never had to use it and I really don't want to use it.

I'm looking for something to bring with me to bring with me to the range. If the BFG is where it's at then I'll just get another one. I am looking for recommendations. Obviously I am no medical professional since I'm asking about such things. I don't mind spending money on quality stuff but I also just don't want to throw money out there because something has a nice new color this year. What kits are we all feeling good about?

I would also be interested in a class in using such things.

I would also be interested in a class in using such things.
GOOD!
Take a class 1st. Buy kit based off your comfort level post class.
Do what he said.

A trained person can do more with less gear than an untrained person can do with a bag full of gear that they don't know how to use.

Last edited:
If you learn how to use the stuff first, you'll have a better idea of what kit to get. You may even build it yourself, like a lot of us. If you don't learn first, you might get the kit and never learn, like a lot of us.

Chest seals, trauma pads/dressings, ACE bandages, rolled gauze, sheers, and combat TQ are a good start. Too many people go all nuts and end up with half the Rite Aid in their bag. You're trying to prolong someone's life who has suffered a life threatening injury until more qualified medics arrive. Focus on learning how to do that and making a bag with the things you need to do that.

so. unless trauma kit is on your body all the time - it is not what you should think of.
first dial out for help, when you are hit and bleeding. then use your pants belt and whatever it is right there on you to try to stop the bleeding while still conscious.

then venture for kits that are somewhere down below under some crap in your car/truck who knows there - as you will haev excellent chances to faint and not even make it to the car in your searches. most cars have a medical kit in them provided by a manufacturer, btw, with a torniquet and other things in there. but it is all too far.

the things we would take on a hunt would always be a small superglue bottle, flask with a 90% alcohol, and a rubber band. for a stick you would always have something nearby, a gun barrel would even do. no need to overcomplicate shit, but it is important is to have it on your body or very close to your body, when it is needed.

nice fancy kits you would buy with a lot of shit in them will never be neither close nor on your body. they probably not even gonna fit into your range bag. they will be in the car on the parking lot.

Personally, I think the best trauma kit is the one you build on your own. Like your prepper food stash, you want to keep updating it and knowing what you have.

For the range, think about a simple trauma kit. You'll want sterile and unsterile gauze, tegaderm, antiseptic of your choice, etc. I have lidocaine, triple antibiotic packets, and a nip of vodka (for wound cleaning actually). You want this kit to have what you need, but not take up too much space in your rifle bag.

Also, lookup youtube videos on trauma first aid for the range. There's a ton out there.

and a nip of vodka
you should not pour vodka into an open wound. you need medical grade pure alcohol. sterile shit and antibiotics can also wait.
you need a knife, alcohol and superglue the minimum to seal the wound after you stop the bleeding at least a bit and still remain consciousness.
cloths are already on you to wipe shit off with. you just need something to cut through them to get to the flesh, especially at winter time with multiple layers on.

videos do not cover what you do in real life to survive until medic arrives.

If you're looking for something to have on your person - small enough you'd want to lug it in a EDC man purse. Uses a real CAT unlike a lot of the cheaper ones that use the plastic knockoffs. Adding some chest seals wouldn't add any noticeable bulk. Might want to add a SWAT-T in addition to the kit included CAT cause why not.

Curaplex Stop The Bleed® Basic Kit with CAT Tourniquet https://a.co/d/gJTInLv

For emmosional trauma...
iu

For the range, think about a simple trauma kit. You'll want sterile and unsterile gauze, tegaderm, antiseptic of your choice, etc. I have lidocaine, triple antibiotic packets, and a nip of vodka (for wound cleaning actually). You want this kit to have what you need, but not take up too much space in your rifle bag.

I believe the OP is looking for a trauma kit that can be used to treat gunshot wounds.

This will fit in your back pocket and gives you basic bleed control while you’re waiting for a whambulance to show up. Depending where you live or where your range is EMS should be there fairly quickly around these parts.

As others said get some training and get as much of it as you can afford. As soon as you step away from anyplace with no phone service you’re on your own and you may need more than a pocket kit to get through. Know what you need and how to use it.

If you’ve never had training, get that first. I have a kit for the house and the cars that is basically pressure dressings, TQs, chest seals, burn dressings, and sterile gauze/tape/ace bandages and splints. My EMT and TCCC is rusty at best, but my wife is a provider who regularly gets her hands dirty so hopefully she can figure it out.

CPR and bleeding control and a reliable cell phone should get you 95% of the way there. Get an extra tourniquet, practice applying it with your non dominant hand, etc. Understand if treating someone else assessment is a big part of it. If you stop a femoral bleed with a tourniquet good for you… but oops if you missed the sucking chest wound.

I haven’t taken a civilian class since EMt-B, which wasn’t very useful 15 years ago when they didn’t even teach tourniquets. But the one-two day classes the military puts on are pretty good. I’ve only had the informal training from corpsmen and medics and it was much more useful than what we learned in the EMt course. I imagine the civilian ones are as well.

$80 is a lot for that kit. NAR TQs are like 30 bucks.

Last edited:
Shameless plug but since you asked I have this for sale as a good training kit / for a class / training family members etc.

Take a class. They will show you what to do and help you build a kit.

OnSight Medical Training

I strongly second this. I used these guys to train my staff, and everyone walked away knowing SO much more than they thought they would. Hands on training using the exact equipment contained in one of the higher end IFAK kits.
They also have NAR IFAKS available for purchase on hand during the class.

this stuff is magical, no doubt in my mind it would close a wound and could act as a tourniquet when needed

I said it somewhat in jest but you are right. I always keep some in my vehicles, it has many uses. I have used it on cuts when I didn't have anything else and I didn't want to stop what I was doing/working on (and didn't want blood all over the place).

I said it somewhat in jest but you are right. I always keep some in my vehicles, it has many uses. I have used it on cuts when I didn't have anything else and I didn't want to stop what I was doing/working on (and didn't want blood all over the place).
The downside is it may cause a seperate injury on removal 🤣

Back
Top Bottom