• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommend a trauma kit

Stop the bleed runs good classes. I think they were the ones who ran the class I took at SIG years ago.

Have been getting supplies here. They run some good sales.

Last edited:
How was the class? My club has one coming up I might be interested in
Honestly it wasn't great. I know more than I did but that was next to nothing. It was all about packing the wound but no real applying a bandage. Tourniquet should be so tight it hurts. Pretty much everything you'll be doing will be causing pain so someone should be restraining the victim.

Honestly it wasn't great. I know more than I did but that was next to nothing. It was all about packing the wound but no real applying a bandage. Tourniquet should be so tight it hurts. Pretty much everything you'll be doing will be causing pain so someone should be restraining the victim.
i'm thinking back over the years of people I've treated and I can't recall any non high people who resisted medical attention. Not to say that it doesnt happen but if someone wants to fight you off from helping you... well... that's their problem.

I'm not going to pin down a stranger and give them aid. It's either they want it or they don't. And if they don't it's one less memory I have to deal with. Chefs kiss.

Thanks for the honesty. I've done a good amount of first responder training/cpr/first aid and thought this might be an easy way to dip my toe into the water more but it doesn't sound like it's for me

Thanks for the honesty. I've done a good amount of first responder training/cpr/first aid and thought this might be an easy way to dip my toe into the water more but it doesn't sound like it's for me
STB is really good as an entry into knowing that first aid is more than just bandaids. If you already have first aid, I would consider something like TCCC. It'll have everything from Stop the Bleed, and more.

Thanks for the info guys. I signed up for The OnSite Medical class on March 18 at Cape Cod Gunworks. A few more bucks and a little less time. No idea why. A little longer of a drive for me but I know the area since I grew up in Falmouth. I mainly chose it because I might be able to get some people to attend with me. Have a couple of coworkers that live near by.

Wasn't sure where to put this so I figured this would get the most exposure. After a few years of living off my friends memberships I'm going to be joining a club. Means more shooting in my future and being around more shooters. I'd like to have a trauma kit on hand just in case. I don't want to have to rely on others. I currently have a Blue Force gear kit but that is for home. I'm happy with it I suppose. Never had to use it and I really don't want to use it.

I'm looking for something to bring with me to bring with me to the range. If the BFG is where it's at then I'll just get another one. I am looking for recommendations. Obviously I am no medical professional since I'm asking about such things. I don't mind spending money on quality stuff but I also just don't want to throw money out there because something has a nice new color this year. What kits are we all feeling good about?

I would also be interested in a class in using such things.
I keep a "Compact Officer Response Emergency" Kit from North American Rescue on my person. It has a CAT, hemostatic gauze, and a pressure dressing (current price has gone up quite a bit, it's $98.09 on their website. I've even given one to each of my kids to keep in their backpacks at school. I have a couple of personalized IFAKs for the range/vehicles, and an EMT jump bag in my car. I'm a FF and have been an EMT for 26 yrs, best knowledge I've learned and kept up with both from a personal & professional perspective.

One thing to note, if you have an FSA card for medical expenses, medical gear is covered the last few years. Don't skimp, get good stuff, there is lots of counterfeit medical gear out there. Buy from a reputable source, not from Amazon.

i'm thinking back over the years of people I've treated and I can't recall any non high people who resisted medical attention. Not to say that it doesnt happen but if someone wants to fight you off from helping you... well... that's their problem.

I'm not going to pin down a stranger and give them aid. It's either they want it or they don't. And if they don't it's one less memory I have to deal with. Chefs kiss.
Got jumped in Davis Square back in the 80s and one of them broke a tree branch repeately over my head.

Lot of scalp wounds and blood. Ambulance showed up and the EMTs asked if I want assistance. When I replied "No thanks, I think I'll just sit here and bleed on myself for a while," they turned to leave until I yelled that of course I wanted help. Some people have no sense of sarcasm.

Got jumped in Davis Square back in the 80s and one of them broke a tree branch repeately over my head.

Lot of scalp wounds and blood. Ambulance showed up and the EMTs asked if I want assistance. When I replied "No thanks, I think I'll just sit here and bleed on myself for a while," they turned to leave until I yelled that of course I wanted help. Some people have no sense of sarcasm.
It's not the lack of sarcasm detection. It's people in EMS who are burned out because they deal with nothing but absolute bullshit and nonsense all shift.

The pay sucks and the work sucks.

Took a stop the bleed class and got certified. It was really just wound packing and tourniquet. I wish they went more in depth and covered chest seals etc.
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid covers chest seals and many other critical scenarios. I highly recommend it. While they don't cover bullet wounds per se, severe puncture wounds are covered. It's been a while, hopefully the class remains of equal or better quality.

To the OP: Assuming you will be within minutes not hours of EMS response, bare minimum would be a good TQ, a chest seal, and some quick clot. I keep the RATS in my truck bag and ski bag (racing ski edges have been known to slice femoral arteries open) but will probably go to the CAT. You need to keep the victim from losing blood and keep him/her breathing until EMS arrives. No need to play Emergency doctor and close up wounds etc. and you'd likely just make things worse. (Says the man who stitched up his own powered hedge trimmer accident, LOL)

Hours or even days away from EMS response is entirely another level and not only requires the trauma essentials but also wilderness first aid techniques and supplies. This is when you need to thoroughly clean and close wounds, splint up breaks, etc, and absolutely should have the training to do it.

If you are conscious and ambulatory- they are probably required to ask you if you need assistance. That's also a good call to assess your mental state so they know you aren't going to wig out when they touch you to help you. If not 'required' I bet it's in their training.

Red Cross Wilderness First Aid covers chest seals and many other critical scenarios. I highly recommend it. While they don't cover bullet wounds per se, severe puncture wounds are covered. It's been a while, hopefully the class remains of equal or better quality.
Agreed. I think this is one of the things that depends on your instructor and the other folks in your class, but the WFA class I took last year was great.

At some point, I'll take the Advanced version. You know, when I'm ready to spend a week's vacation on a First Aid class...

It's not the lack of sarcasm detection. It's people in EMS who are burned out because they deal with nothing but absolute bullshit and nonsense all shift.

The pay sucks and the work sucks.
...and forcing people to let you help them? sucks.

I declined service a couple years ago (legitimately no need) and they made me sign a form saying as much.

I declined service a couple years ago (legitimately no need) and they made me sign a form saying as much.

We always had to at least attempt to get a signed refusal from someone if we were on scene. If they wouldn't sign, and they didn't seem to be in a situation where they couldn't make a sound decision for themselves, then we would fill one out best we could and document they refused to sign. Just to cover ourselves best we could. There have been some situations where the PD would have to make them get treated, such as head injuries where they seemed out of it and couldn't not make a good decision on treatment.

If you are conscious and ambulatory- they are probably required to ask you if you need assistance. That's also a good call to assess your mental state so they know you aren't going to wig out when they touch you to help you. If not 'required' I bet it's in their training.
Yeah, they completely had to ask. My tone was screaming sarcasm though, so it was a bit surprising they just accepted it. But I do get dealing with people everyday and not having time to waste.

Yeah, they completely had to ask. My tone was screaming sarcasm though, so it was a bit surprising they just accepted it. But I do get dealing with people everyday and not having time to waste.
LOL it's a good reminder for me to not do the same, as I might be tempted to give them the same reply as you though I'd be trying (and failing) to be funny.

Agreed. I think this is one of the things that depends on your instructor and the other folks in your class, but the WFA class I took last year was great.

At some point, I'll take the Advanced version. You know, when I'm ready to spend a week's vacation on a First Aid class...

...and forcing people to let you help them? sucks.

Id guess half refusals won't sign the refusal [rofl]

Don't miss it

LOL it's a good reminder for me to not do the same, as I might be tempted to give them the same reply as you though I'd be trying (and failing) to be funny.
Honestly, I should have just driven to the hospital. They litterally handed me a big wad of gauze and told me to hold it against my head and then drove me to the hospital. Would have got there a lot quicker if I had not waited once someone told me there was an abulance on the way.

Id guess half refusals won't sign the refusal [rofl]

Don't miss it
I'm sure. I've had enough friends in the field (who've told me enough stories) that I try to be easy, even when I don't want the service.

They asked, and said no, then "signed" their tablet with a single stroke through the appropriate area. They had covered their responsibilities, and I got to go about my life.

Buy a kit as above or source the ingredients yourself.

Absolutely training is key. But also make sure more than one person in the house knows how to use what's in your kit.

Then there's the aspect of: Not everyone can handle actually seeing or dealing with serious injury.

Many years ago I was assigned to watch a female inmate; that did a cocktail of mixed drugs and decided she could win in a fight

with a Police K9. She LOST that fight.... She was relentless and didn't give up till she lost most of one of her quadriceps (right down to the bone).

When the doctors changed her dressing, my partner first nearly passed out and eventually ended up puking his brains out in the bathroom.

I on the other hand got closer to get a good look and listened to everything the doctor was saying. I could see her femur!

Not everyone has the stomach to do triage to serious injuries. The doctor the attended her and many other doctors have told me;

I should have been a surgeon.... I seem unaffected by blood, gore, guts and watching close to 50 surgeries.

As a lay person I'd focus on bleeding control. You can go several minutes without breathing.. even if your pneumo/hemo is compressing on your heart. But you can bleed out fast. You need a certain amount of training to decompress. I'm no expert but I treat gsws on occasion. As recently as last week. It's down and dirty. Find bleeding. Stop bleeding. Don't give a shit if bones are crunchy, pt is screaming (and boy do they scream) You need to stop bleeding. Last week guy was shot multiple times, one through brachial artery. It happens fast. Think fast. Hold pressure f***ing tight or direct someone to. Crank tourniquet tight. If you have hemostatic gauze pack it in tight and hold it. By the time you know it is pros are on scene unless you are in the boonies.

Screaming is good. Means they are alert and can still breathe mostly properly.
Well yes. You are correct. In the moment low light multiple gsw. Trying to cut clothes off assess wounds. In the middle of dinner time. It's like please shut the f&$# up. Dench would understand.

Back
Top Bottom