Recommend a good clean powder for 45acp

And just where do you think VV is made? [rolleyes]
VihtaVuori-powder is made in Finland. I can to buy two kilos at a time. But I can to go in other gunshop, or come back to morrow again. Finland is no UK. I have 6 pistols and 8 rifles. [grin]
PS. It is legal to keep 2 kilos powder at home. I have more, but nobody checks my home out. [wink]

Hodgdon Titegroup. I've used it for target loads in all handgun calibers I reload and it is fast burning and clean. It is low volume but with all self-indexing progressive loaders I don't really worry about double charging.

HS-6 is another powder I use that I feel is very clean burning...
HS-6 is the same powder as the discontinued WW540. This powder is a bit slower burning than generally recommended for 45ACP, but is a great powder for 38 Super if you're not up to the VV $$ and availability issues.

Indeed. I'm also sure it's easier for a person to own an HK or Sig in the US than it is in Germany.

What if you are a resident of Washington DC? Living in finland or switzerland gun wise would be better than being a DC resident, even after this SCOTUS decision. (looks like
they're dragging their feet pretty hard... )

Anyways, this has exactly what to do with smokeless powder and reloading? [laugh]

-Mike

Absolutely nothing.

Nor do comparisons of Finland to the UK...... [rolleyes]

Hey Scriv, to remotely get back on topic... You had mentioned using WST in another thread. I was curious what kind of charge weight you would use
to launch a 230 gr FMJ?

I searched around for a few, and I found a max listed... like 4.7 grains makes about 800 FPS. Is there a way to safely use WST to get the bullet to about 850 or so? I tried advancing the load up a bit from the max (even as high as 5.0 grains) but all I could get was about 830 average and I didn't really feel like pushing my luck at that point. I might just keep it around as a "target load" powder, because it did seem to burn very cleanly.

-Mike

I've used Red Dot, Unique and W231. I like W231 the best for all the previous reasons listed here.

Unique actually isn't a bad powder for 45's and I've never really found much to complain about when using it.

4.5 grs of Red Dot was was a nice load but it was really dirty, I noticed that if you used grease on your pistol it made a real mess. The worst thing about it was, it took twice the amount of time to clean the gun.

I cannot help you with a load for 230 grain bullets using WST because I have never developed any. My preferred projectile in that caliber is the 200 gr RNFP, which I use for both revo and autoloader.

I used Red Dot for years, played w/the bottle of 231 that came w/the second 550 and have settled on WST until further notice. When I started using it, 231 cost 10% and was dirtier; now the WST is actually a tad more expensive. However, I have a couple of pounds squirreled away, so I'm set for a while.

When I started reloading I used 231 on the recommendation of a friend. 30 years later and after a lot of experimentation I still use 231. This is my favorite powder for all non magnum pistol loads.

Back
Top Bottom