• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommend a good clean powder for 45acp

I've been using Bullseye for 25 years and I like it, but I'm shooting a lot more practicing for IDPA and getting tired of the cleanup chore. Can anyone recommend a cleaner burning powder that shoots well in .45acp?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

You might also want to check out WST and 231.

Red Dot is more economical, but not quite as clean.

I was loading 231 before I switched to ZIP. The difference is dramatic. I would have to shoot almost three times the amount of Zip ammo to get as dirty as 231

What stores sell the Zip? The only thing I came up with in a dealer search on their site was some obscure place in Brookline, NH I've never heard of, that looks like it's in a residential neighborhood on Google Maps.

Another 231 user and a new one at that. Only a few months reloading and have used 231 exclusively for .45ACP. Starting load as listed on the Winchester reloading site with 200 gn. SWC work great in my 1911, but are not quite powerful enough for my 4516. Relatively clean too.

I don't have much experience variety wise. Titegroup performs extremely well with plated bullets. I can shoot indefinitely without cleaning. Lead bullets eventually do cause some build up in the rifling close to the chamber but that comes out with a half hour of work and a brass brush. This is with 185 grain lead bullets at 970 fps.

Another 231 user and a new one at that. Only a few months reloading and have used 231 exclusively for .45ACP. Starting load as listed on the Winchester reloading site with 200 gn. SWC work great in my 1911, but are not quite powerful enough for my 4516. Relatively clean too.

You are losing about 100 fps in the 4516's 3.75 in barrel vs the 5 in 1911. 6.0gr of WW 231 will give you about 830 fps in the 4516 with a 200 gr cast lead SWC.

I don't have much experience variety wise. Titegroup performs extremely well with plated bullets. I can shoot indefinitely without cleaning. Lead bullets eventually do cause some build up in the rifling close to the chamber but that comes out with a half hour of work and a brass brush. This is with 185 grain lead bullets at 970 fps.

I find Titegroup to be cleaner than 231. I use both.

VihtaVuori hands down is the cleanest powder you can use. Its also the most expensive and hardest to get. There is no free lunch. [rolleyes]

I find Titegroup to be cleaner than 231. I use both.---Eddie Coyle
I love using W231 in 45 ACP but switched to TG in the search for a cleaner and still affordable powder. I'll be trying Clays shortly.

Respectfully,

jkelly

You know... I just don't understand the obsession with clean burning powder. I've Clays, 231 and I can't for the life of me see how any of these are "clean". After 1-300 rounds the gun needs to be cleaned as it's always dirtly. I can go longer but then if I run into a problem I'd never know the real cause. I've used Power Pistol and Bullseye with similar results.

I truly wish I could find a really clean powder as I really don't enjoy cleaning my guns at all.

for the life of me see how any of these are "clean"[/QUOTE]

I use Titegroup for 40 SW and VV for 38 Super. It's hard to believe how much cleaner the Super is after shooting it as compared to the 40. I never thought there could be such a difference until I saw it with my own eyes. I don't how they do it - but I know what I see. A lot of top USPSA competitors use VV. Reliability is everything in USPSA and all things being equal, a clean gun is more reliable. That being said, I'm very happy with Titegroup and will continue to use it in the 40.

So my curiosity is peaked. Where can one get VV locally? In E MA that is. Any sample loads for .45? I wouldn't mind giving some a try... what the heck.

Back
Top Bottom