• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recomendation for a reasonably price Crossbow?

Bt74

NES Member
Looking to get a crossbow, don't want to spend $2k for a Ravin, thinking along the lines of a $500 or less unit. Any ideas?

Probably a Barnett Recruit recurve crossbow, for the price range you listed.

If you can spend a bit more, one of the economy ranged Excalibur crossbows.

Stay away from compound crossbows. They require much more maintenence than a recurve does.

Respectfully disagree with the above regarding compound crossbows. My TenPoint has been nothing but fantastic. Easy to shoot, very little maintenance, and accurate as all get out. No issues whatsoever but if there ever is, Ten Point stands behind their gear. Their sister company, Wicked Ridge are also top rated.

Excalibur they are indestructible. Unlike compound crossbows which frankly you don’t need all those numerous parts and risk of failure.

There are some things to keep in mind when it comes to crossbows:

Go to Cabelas, Bass Pro, or another archery shop and shoot everything you can get your hands on. It is going to be a totally new world to you and how a crossbow fits you is everything. They are all front heavy to some extent and you will know what you like when you shoot it.

You need to figure out how you are going to handle a cocked crossbow a the end of your hunt. Many people just throw a target and a practice arrow in the truck and shoot it off. Some carry a sacrificial arrow in their quiver and shoot it into the ground. Be careful doing this with carbon arrows as they can crack.

Make sure that you get a cocking rope. Cocking a crossbow by hand can cause the arrow to go left or right if the crossbow string isn't pulled back evenly. I also use the cocking rope to let down, or uncock, the crossbow at the end of my hunt.

Crossbows are noisy compared to the verts. Some are noisier than others. You will be surprised if you have never shot one. The deer I have shot don't seem to mind the noise though.
012.gif
I never shoot mine at the end of the hunt from my stand. I only shoot from my stand if I am shooting at a deer. Crossbows are loud and there is no sense educating any nearby deer.

Crossbows are heavy and cumbersome in the woods. I typically shoot mine from a rest of some sort. I use a monopod when hunting on the ground and the shooting rail on my Summit Goliath.

DFI (Dry Fire Inhibitor) Most, not all, have a DFI today. Just like compound bows crossbows do not dry fire well. DFI's make it difficult to uncock the xbow with the cocking rope. DFI's mean that the safest (according to some people anyway) way to "uncock" the crossbow at the end of the hunt is to fire it.

There are two basic types of crossbows. There are compound crossbows and recurve crossbows. I have an Excalibur Exocet which is a 200 lb recurve crossbow (no DFI). Recurve crossbows are wider, typically noisier, but they are easier to maintain and less subject to failure (less moving parts) than the compound crossbows IMO. The newer recurve crossbows have gotten much narrower over the last 5 years.

I like my recurve as I can do almost any maintenance I need without needing a crossbow press.

I keep a spare string and the string changer in the truck so If I need to change my string in the field I can. The string I keep as a backup has been used so that it has already stretched and stable. The string changer is necessary to change strings, I know obvious, and just as importantly to maintain the proper brace height. Brace height can affect the POI vertically.
After many string changes over the years I can say that putting on a string that has been broken in and setting the brace height does not effect the POI out to 50 yards.

I did have to replace my string once during a hunt. I walked back out to the truck, changed the string, set the brace height, and had a nice afternoon hunt. If I had a compound crossbow I would have been out of commission until I had gotten it to a shop with a press and a range trip.

There is some great videos on Excalibur Crossbows:Product Videos - Excalibur Crossbows

I specifically bought an Excalibur Crossbow because you can "uncock" it using the cocking rope. It is a snap and only takes a few seconds. Watch the video on how to uncock your crossbow. One of the things you will learn pretty quick is that if you are not hunting it is much easier to walk with an "uncocked" crossbow than it is when it is cocked.
A few words about crossbow arrows. Yes, they are properly called arrows; bolts have only two fletchings and were used in medieval times. Modern crossbow arrows use three.
Crossbow arrows are much shorter 20" or thereabouts so the are much more unstable than standard arrows used in regular compound bows.

To stabilize these shorter arrows a much higher FOC (Front Of Center) balance is needed. While the average vertical compound bow shoots an arrow that has an FOC of 10% to 15% a crossbow arrow requires more. My crossbow arrows are running 28% FOC.
Arrow FOC Basics and How to Calculate FOC

When it comes to fletching a good strong helical or offset is recommended. Make sure that the fletching is short enough to clear the bottom of the groove in the crossbow rail. Also pay attention to the helical. Make sure that it isn't so severe that it rubs the inside of the rail.

I am shooting arrows that I make with a 4 degree right offset. I have tested Bhoning Blazers, 5" feathers, duravanes, turkey feathers, and Aerovanes. All of them flew very well out to 50 yards out of my Excalibur Exocet. My arrows are currently wearing Bhoning Blazers.

Broadhead selection is also critical. A low profile broadhead or mechanical is the way to go here. I have had good luck with Slick Tricks, Rage, and NAP Spitfires. My go to broadhead is the NAP Spitfire. A crossbow arrow launch is very violent, remember we are talking a 200lb draw here, so mechanical broadhead need to be tested to ensure that they will stay closed. Manufacturers now are specifically rating broadheads for crossbows. You should test the ones you are planning on using anyway.

A cocked crossbow is very cumbersome in the woods and you should never put any digits in the string path. Often referred to as the triangle of pain. People have actually lost the tip of their thumb at the joint by holding the forearm incorrectly. I have been nipped a couple of times and I will say that it smarts. Even a nip will leave a blood blister and take a good chunk of the nail. Been there done that.

In Connecticut hunting ends at sunset I just take the arrow off the rail and I "uncock" the crossbow and walk out of the woods.

I hunt in my Summit Goliath with my Excalibur crossbow without any issues. I set the seat as low as it will go and I use the rail as a brace to shoot. I cock my crossbow on the ground and I pull it up cocked (no arrow on the rail).

I can and have "cocked"/"uncocked" the crossbow in the stand. Once legal shooting time has ended I "uncock" the crossbow and then I let it down. Crossbows are loud so you rarely get a second shot. I never have anyway.
They can be re-cocked in the tree but it takes a little practice. It pass it out over the rail and pull the butt of the crossbow up under the rail setting the stirrup on the bottom platform and cock the crossbow. I then reverse the process.

As far as brands go you will be fine if you stick with the major brands. Excalibur, Tenpoint, Parker, etc. Barnett's reputation is a little lagging. My dad has a Parker Terminator and he has been happy with it.
Dan Miller is the US warranty representative for Excalibur Crossbows in the US. His business is called Horizontal Archery in Sardis Ohio, (740) 483-2312. If you are in the US and you need something for an Excalibur crossbow call DanMiller. Dan doesn't have a website and the best way to reach him is via telephone.

Another great resource is David at Wyvern Creations. David carries a full line of crossbows and accessories.
Wyvern Creations, LLC
235 North River Road
Lee, NH 03861
603-659-0575
Wyvern Creations, Modern Crossbows and Accessories
I have done business with both many times over the years and have both to be honest, fair, and terrific people to do business with. Both are a true library of information when it comes to crossbows.
This should be a decent primer and get you off to a good start.

I bought my Excalibur used and their warranty is second to none. Their crossbows are not serialized.

Bob

Respectfully disagree with the above regarding compound crossbows. My TenPoint has been nothing but fantastic. Easy to shoot, very little maintenance, and accurate as all get out. No issues whatsoever but if there ever is, Ten Point stands behind their gear. Their sister company, Wicked Ridge are also top rated.

I agree they are a terrific company and stand behind their product.

The main issue with a compound crossbow, regardless of manufacturer, is the string and cable replacement maintenance. Most people aren't aware and don't do it at the recommended interval.

"TenPoint Crossbow Technologies recommends changing the string and cables approximately every three years under normal use. Both the string and cables (including steel cables) will stretch over time and result in lower draw weight."
String & Cables | TenPoint Crossbows

Bob

SZ350 would be a good choice just keep in mind there is not a cranking device for it if you should need one. Can't go wrong with the other xbows mentioned above either.

FWIW:
I was at the range last Friday blowing the dust off the crossbow in preparation for the upcoming season. 6 shots into my session the center serving blew out. It took me 15 minutes to put on a used replacement string and adjust the brace height and I was back in business.

I re-serve my own strings and it takes about 10 minutes or so on my homemade jig. The string I just re-served is now my spare. I re-serve them a couple of times and then I replace them.

If I had a compound crossbow I would have been done until I could get to a shop that has the required press to swap the string. Keep in mind that crossbow limbs are shorter than most bow limbs so the shop has to have a press that will work for crossbows.

They can be re-served on the bow in a pinch but they don’t last as long. When I re-serve mine I untwist the string 5 turns, re-serve the string in the correct direction, and then put the 5 twists back in tightening the serving against itself so it is even tighter. They last a long time when they are properly waxed and re-served this way. The wax acts as a lubricant.

I always keep a used string and the string changer handy. Together they weigh less than 6 ounces or so. The reason I carry a used string is that it has already been stretched in. When strings are new there is a fair amount of stretching that occurs and I don’t want to deal with that in the field. Strings from a custom string maker are already stretched in so you don’t have to deal with all that new string stretch.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom