Recomend a first pistol

Just got my class a unrestricted ltc in ma. Im looking to buy a first gun one that would be good for practicing and carry. I was thinking of a 9mil semiautomatic. Like m&p shield. What's your thoughts. I have a gun shop and indoor range close i can go to try out any guns but i like to have recommendations on which to rent first..

Get the M&P Shield 2.0.
It has a better trigger and much better grip texture than the first iteration.

Or go with my personal favorite...

The Colt Dragoon.

Colt_Dragoon_Mod_1848.JPG

...and learn to whistle Dixie.

Try a few. You may want to shoot different models in different calibers.
I prefer 9mm and .45 myself in the pistol calibers.

If you're on the tall/large side a full size metal frame would be better. Beretta 92 FS or Sig 226/229.
Smaller side, look for Shields for a good concealed gun. If you want a double stack (recommended) a M&P 9 or 9C, Glock 19/26, Sig 320.

Im looking to buy a first gun one that would be good for practicing and carry.
practice what? wanna bang targets?
Like m&p shield
great for carry and doing your drills, drawing from a holster and so on, getting familiar with it to carry. it's far from a target pistol, you certainly don't want to do much 25 yard shooting with it or much else beyond 7 yards. it's a 3" barrel! next you'll be on here telling us you got a bum gun cause you can't hit a 25' gallery target set at 25 yards.

if I were going to buy one pistol, 9mm, for range work and carry it'd be a glock 19 to start. be a decent range and carry gun. if I had the money, i'd get the shield to carry and buy a nice .22 also with a longer barrel to pound away to my hearts content. good luck with this.

If you really plan on carrying, I wouldn't go with anything other than a single stack pistol (slim, subcompact). You want to make it easy to carry so you carry consistently (and comfortably).
Some options: Shield in 9mm or 45, LC9S, Glock 43, PPS, XDS, P365, etc.

Out of those, feel them in your hand, dry fire, and take to range if you can. You can't go wrong with any of the above, but you want to LIKE the gun you buy. If you like the gun enough, don't let a hundred $ here or there sway you unless you're really strapped for cash.

If you really plan on carrying, I wouldn't go with anything other than a single stack pistol (slim, subcompact). You want to make it easy to carry so you carry consistently (and comfortably).

Out of those, feel them in your hand, dry fire, and take to range if you can. You can't go wrong with any of the above, but you want to LIKE the gun you buy. If you like the gun enough, don't let a hundred $ here or there sway you unless you're really strapped for cash.
Opinions are like brown stars...
There is no bad gun for carry, just bad holsters. Single stacks are better generally speaking, but you can make any gun work with the right holster.

If you're on the tall/large side a full size metal frame would be better. Beretta 92 FS or Sig 226/229.
Smaller side, look for Shields for a good concealed gun. If you want a double stack (recommended) a M&P 9 or 9C, Glock 19/26, Sig 320.
Way too big

You can carry anything if you dress for it. Glock 41 in my pants because clearly I'm overcompensating, but still plenty comfortable all day and doesn't print a bit.

QDA.JPG

Handle a ton of guns to learn what feels tailor-made for your hand. You have a ton of choices, albeit some requiring patience to find in MA, but you can rent anything at the range. Listen to your own experience in addition to others' advice. Don't be surprised when your first is not your last because you learn your preferences over time. My journey has been 4 semiautos, 3 calibers, 2 frame sizes in 1 platform across 10 years. Your significant other will also question how many belts and holsters you collect. Just always say this new one will be safer.

A compact/subcompact 9mm is good middle ground, like Glock 19/26. You can move up or down in caliber and frame size from there. If you like single-stack for the slim fit like Glock 43, consider getting a mag extension for the max legal capacity.

Last edited:
Try a bunch before buying. Compacts rather than sub compacts. Get a feel for what you like, get a good belt and holster, dress around the gun. 99% of people are going through life oblivious to their surroundings. You may think the whole world knows youre carrying but they dont.

Im going to second Roland D's suggestions. I carry a G19 under a t-shirt in the summer all day long with no issues.

shield is nice but unless $$ is really tight would go with something full size first. any modern polymer that you like is fine. spend the $$ on ammo and training. don't worry too much about the equipment at first. M&P's are fine pistols although I don't personally care for them. for polymer 9's i'm partial to the glock 17/19, VP9, or steyr M9 but there are so many great options nowadays. i would take a look at the FN 509 and Canik TP9SF too. they're easily available in MA and are solid. I haven't shot the FN 509 but it's clearly quality as FN doesn't make junk.

congrats on your LTC too.

I love CZ. Great guns for both carry and shooting in general.

But also check out Canik. Their special forces 9mm is a nice little gun. Very accurate, reliable and reasonably priced.

Congrats! The M&P Shield in 9mm is a solid choice for a first carry/home pro gun. There are many others. I’d suggest starring w/ 9mm for whatever gun you decide on. Some ranges rent guns, try a few out. I’m sure that depending where you live, plenty of guys here will be happy to take you to the range to try some stuff out, myself included.

Sensible advice, I agree w the single stack. I’d include a Springfield XDE in 9mm to the list. I have both, like them both, find the XDE slightly more versatile.

First pistol, not a free state, I would go m&p compact. Good for play and carryable. I carry a shield 85% of the time because I don’t even realize it’s there, but it’s not exactly a fun range toy. 9 compact m&p is a good compromise.

What you’re asking is, “I just turned 21... what is the best beer to drink...”

I say, drink what you like... shoot what feels good.

9MM is a pretty universal “entry” caliber, but the new .380 Shield EZ is a good option for low(-er) recoil, and both younger and older shooters. Many folks “grow” into larger carry calibers like .40 or .45. Some folks will hate on 9MM for “stopping power” ...ask those same folks if they’d mind getting shot by a .22 LR.

A S&W Shield is popular and relatively budget friendly, a G43 is popular for carry, while a G17 is great for the range and a G19 is pretty much the universal platform (unless you’re left handed - until the new Gen 5). As a lefty myself, I’m an H&K VP9 kinda guy (decent trigger right out of the box, highly customizable grip, and great for the range although a bit large for concealed carry with the wrong holster. FYI, check out 508 Holsters - locally made and solid deep carry.)

Just resolve in your heart that what ever you’ll decide on buying, you’ll probably want a second (or third...) well before you’ve saved the cash to pay for it.

A well maintained pre-owned firearm is as good as buying the right used car — you don’t pay for depreciation right off the rack, the controls are already broken in a bit, and you don’t mind quite as much when you put that first scratch on it.

What ever you choose, shoot straight and reload often.

Back
Top Bottom