• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recoil Question

Stevireno

NES Member
I've got a sig 2022 in 9mm, ever since I've owed the gun, I can "feel" the slide returning to the frame after each shot. I shoot my other semi handguns, and I don't even notice the slide returning. It's almost as if I have to wait for the slide to slip back. The gun functions normally, no failures... Would this be a weak spring? Do some guns just feel this way??

Thanks

-Steve

I find my SP2022 jumpy,.. and chalked it up to being what it is. I'm interested in other people's experiences,..

Some guns just feel that way.

I don’t know for sure, but I think it’s related the relative weights of the frame, slide, and recoil spring.

I have a Ruger P89 that’s like you describe. It almost feels rubbery. But it’s as reliable as a paperweight. It’s never failed to feed or eject in the 15 years I’ve had it.

I had an M&P 9L that felt like that. I tried different weights, but it was the same 115, 124, and 147.

No issues with the gun, but I sold it.

I kind of like the feel, its different than every other gun I own... I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and see if it feels the same...

I kind of like the feel, its different than every other gun I own... I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and see if it feels the same...
What happens when you shoot fast?

Honestly the 2022 is a fine handgun but the slide is heavy as hell. On a 229/6 you may not notice it because the frame is steel too. But the extra mass on the slide with polymer might make it jumpy

I've never had an issue with the few I've owned. But i always ended up getting rid of them i don't like the grip...feels like I'm holding a dildo wrapped in sandpaper

I have experienced it with 5” barrels on M&Ps and XDs. I named it slide slap

I went back to 4” barrels and the problem disappears

It's been a while since I was sampling the semi-autos in the MFS armory, but I remember a sensation that sounds like what the OP described when shooting the 1911s and full-size Glocks. Back then I described it by saying the gun felt like a machine with moving parts under recoil rather than just a simple recoil impulse.

Here is an interesting bit from a review of the S&W Performance Center 1911s by Patrick Sweeney, an experienced 1911 gun smith:

The recoil of the Performance Center 1911 is indicative of the fitting that went into it. Having fired an embarrassingly large amount of ammunition through 1911s, I have a hand-sense of the recoil. A really loose gun feels like it is merely a collection of parts working more or less in unison, and on each shot I can feel all the steps of function. A bank-vault-like fit, one a short step away from causing malfunctions, has no steps to it; it simply goes bang, hits your hand, and when you see the sights again it is closed.

The Performance Center pistol has a slight "bump" as the slide goes forward and collects the barrel. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a clatter, but I could feel it if I stopped paying attention to my shooting and concentrated on just feeling the gun recoil. But when I watch the sights and focus on shooting, it feels like a bank-vault pistol.
I’ve always liked the description “bank-vault pistol”.

The only time I've ever felt a pistol function as you describe was after a friend took my Beretta 92 and was going to lube it for me with this "incredible new stuff that all the SEAL's, SWAT teams, Postal Service snipers, etc are using. It's called Frog Lube!".

Back
Top Bottom