• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RECOIL EXCLUSIVE: gas piston Alien Pistol from Laugo Arms, the Full Review

mikeyp

NES Member
RECOIL EXCLUSIVE: Alien Pistol from Laugo Arms, the Full Review | RECOIL

ALIEN.01-670x446.jpg

Alien-pistol.-02-675x450.jpg

""About the only thing striker-like about it is that the tail of the hammer strut pokes out of the gun’s arse end when cocked, just like in a Springfield XD, Canik, or all the way back to the 1907 Roth Steyr. But it’s a hammer. This distinction is important, as the Alien is being marketed as a competition pistol, aimed squarely at the USPSA Production and Carry Optics divisions, and unfortunately, having a hammer means it’ll have a hard time meeting the division rules. But we digress, and we shall see.""

So not a striker fired gun, no safety and possibly no way to decock it. Plus the optic will not reciprocate with the slide, which is a problem for carry optics. Unless USPSA changes some rules, this seems like its an open pistol, oh but its 9mm, so open minor?

$5k is waaay too much. And if this doesn’t get approved for production in USPSA, then it’s forced into limited or open. Who’s going to spend that kind of money when you can get STI limited gun for less.

It’s a very cool design but unless I’ve got just so much money I don’t know what to do with, I ain’t buying it.

Can’t do the super tactical one handed racking of the slide using the sights with this design. Also after watching the video it doesn’t look like it has any less recoil or muzzle flip than any other properly held full size 9mm pistol.

$5k is waaay too much. And if this doesn’t get approved for production in USPSA, then it’s forced into limited or open. Who’s going to spend that kind of money when you can get STI limited gun for less.

It’s a very cool design but unless I’ve got just so much money I don’t know what to do with, I ain’t buying it.
Also given gas retarded blowback i have a hard time believing the gun won't overheat after 4-5 mags, just like a P7M8... making extended practice unbearable....

/thread derail warning!!

I want the Mars Marine wrist gun thing from The Expanse. Recoil directly aligned along your arm bones. Not a long range setup without some seriously integrated optics, but short range, minute of man accuracy with recoil management optimized.

/thread back on track.

I don't understand the design, fundamentally. Are they trying to reduce the slide weight or just keep the sights from moving? I'd like to see a gun with as little slide movement as possible, like from the bolt face back is all that moves. Reduce the mass that moves when the gun is fired and compensate for recoil by gas venting or some other means.

edit:

Taking my thinking to the absolute retard extreme, the gun would almost recoil 'downwards' if you aren't ready for it.

Also given gas retarded blowback i have a hard time believing the gun won't overheat after 4-5 mags, just like a P7M8... making extended practice unbearable....

I’m not sure overheat is accurate, but unbearably warm might be. I would be interested how quickly it heats up. I think that was also an issue with the Walther CCP. This gun looks like it begs to be run hard so I am curious. If it got to the point where you were burning your hands and melting holsters during competition, then you have a definite issue.

I’m not sure overheat is accurate, but unbearably warm might be. I would be interested how quickly it heats up. I think that was also an issue with the Walther CCP. This gun looks like it begs to be run hard so I am curious. If it got to the point where you were burning your hands and melting holsters during competition, then you have a definite issue.

Bruce Gray told me he used to run one of those champagne cooler things between stages to cool down his P7M13... basically 20+ rounds downrange = 20 minute cool period. Otherwise they get uncomfortable to hold. When i had my P7M8, 40 rounds in one go was pretty much almost a hard limit.... [laugh]

/thread derail warning!!

I want the Mars Marine wrist gun thing from The Expanse. Recoil directly aligned along your arm bones. Not a long range setup without some seriously integrated optics, but short range, minute of man accuracy with recoil management optimized.

/thread back on track.

I don't understand the design, fundamentally. Are they trying to reduce the slide weight or just keep the sights from moving? I'd like to see a gun with as little slide movement as possible, like from the bolt face back is all that moves. Reduce the mass that moves when the gun is fired and compensate for recoil by gas venting or some other means.

edit:

Taking my thinking to the absolute retard extreme, the gun would almost recoil 'downwards' if you aren't ready for it.

They're just trying to kill recoiling mass, less recoiling mass = less muzzle flip; the gas retard blowback system dampens the slide velocity without screwing up the guns cycling like overspringing it would....

They're just trying to kill recoiling mass, less recoiling mass = less muzzle flip; the gas retard blowback system dampens the slide velocity without screwing up the guns cycling like overspringing it would....

I'm not a huge historian when it comes to firearms, but has anyone made a gun like what I described? Everything fixed in front of the breech/bolt face and just move enough to eject/reload. Something like only the back half of the slide moving. I know there would be feed ramp issues, but nothing I can't see someone engineering a fix for.

I could see current design being a compromise, I don't know how much force is applied where and when. "My" design would almost be like a bolt action that kinda self articulates. I could see recoil being worse, but with compensators being so common, I'd think it could be overcome.

I'm not a huge historian when it comes to firearms, but has anyone made a gun like what I described? Everything fixed in front of the breech/bolt face and just move enough to eject/reload. Something like only the back half of the slide moving. I know there would be feed ramp issues, but nothing I can't see someone engineering a fix for.

I could see current design being a compromise, I don't know how much force is applied where and when. "My" design would almost be like a bolt action that kinda self articulates. I could see recoil being worse, but with compensators being so common, I'd think it could be overcome.
Silencerco Maxim 9

Official space gun of the United States Space Force in ..... 3....2....1...

Seriously. We all know the Space Force will be about the guns.

(Can't have the brave men and women fighting bugs with a .22! )

The P7 has the gas cylinder under the barrel, as part of the frame, right above your trigger finger.
The Alien has it above the barrel, so I don't think burning your shooting hand will be a problem.

The P7 has the gas cylinder under the barrel, as part of the frame, right above your trigger finger.
The Alien has it above the barrel, so I don't think burning your shooting hand will be a problem.
Well, that certainly makes it a lot better, then, and the large size/mass probably helps, too...

1580177864481.png

OK, it's a .22, but you didn't specify what chambering!

Well, that certainly makes it a lot better, then, and the large size/mass probably helps, too...

I have a P7 PSP, which was the original version, with the heel mounted mag release.
HK must have soon figured out that heating was a problem, so when they released the later M8, M10 and M13 versions, they were equipped with a heat shield.
I guess they worked to some degree, but didn't quite eliminate the problem.

Back
Top Bottom