Reciprocity with our neighboring States

Why can't Ct, Ma, & RI get along?

Ct.'s non resident permit is $89.25 for 5 years. No bad!

Ma. non resident (maybe restrictive) permit is $100 for a year & a trip to Chelsea. Real Bad!
R.I. most likely will deny the first attempt for non resident permits. WTF!

Will we ever see reciprocity?
Will this ever change?

Why can't Ct, Ma, & RI get along?

Ct.'s non resident permit is $89.25 for 5 years. No bad!

Ma. non resident (maybe restrictive) permit is $100 for a year & a trip to Chelsea. Real Bad!
R.I. most likely will deny the first attempt for non resident permits. WTF!

Will this ever change?

You would probably need a lot more gun owners to 1. Exist and 2. Be politically active to get things to change positively here in MA. Heck if Tolman gets elected he'll want to make the NR only carry smart-guns probably [rolleyes]

Will this ever change?

Never. Just forget about it, it's not happening. I have a better chance of making a piece of toast and having an image of Jesus Christ appear in it randomly, and selling the slice for 100K.

-Mike

Will this ever change?

Not likely, unless national reciprocity is passed and signed into federal law. And IF that happens, I'm sure it will take some time to force several northeastern states into compliance...i.e., expect to get arrested if you are caught carrying into an anti state, and having to beat it in court. Fun.

When I used to get speeding tix back in my youth this worked great. Tickets in both NH and CT, never reported to the Mass Registry, my insurance always stayed low! lol.

Thanks Gentleman!,

Hypothetically speaking; let say in my case, I'm a CT resident permit holder,also a Maine, & N.H. non resident permit holder. So, if I travel thru New England without stopping in Ma. or RI can I carry concealed while driving thru? (ie. CT to Maine)

Also, I have a Fla. & Utah non resident permits. So if avoid or don't stop in the states without reciprocity to my permits like Jersey, N.Y., S.C. Ill.,etc can I carry concealed driving thru these states while on my "Two Year End of Life Tour of America"??? Does having ammo, M1 Garand w/ bayonet & a Colt 1911 locked in a case in the trunk of car factor in?
---------------------------
1525202_10204077443642834_2303796523640721051_n.jpg

Last edited:
It should be nationwide just as driver's licenses are. Only difference is driving is supposedly a privilege. Gun ownership/possession is a constitutional right.

Thank Gentleman!,

Hypothetically speaking; let say in my case, I'm a CT resident permit holder,also a Maine, & N.H. non resident permit holder. So, if I travel thru New England without stopping in Ma. or RI can I carry concealed while driving thru? (ie. CT to Maine)

Also, I have a Fla. & Utah non resident permits. So if avoid or don't stop in the states without reciprocity to my permits like Jersey, N.Y., S.C. Ill.,etc can I carry concealed driving thru these states while on my "Two Year End of Life Tour of America"??? Does having ammo, M1 Garand & a Colt 1911 locked in a case in the trunk of car factor in?

google "FOPA"

and stay away from NY and NJ

Thank Gentleman!,

Also, I have a Fla. & Utah non resident permits. So if avoid or don't stop in the states without reciprocity to my permits like Jersey, N.Y., S.C. Ill.,etc can I carry concealed driving thru these states while on my "Two Year End of Life Tour of America"??? Does having ammo, M1 Garand & a Colt 1911 locked in a case in the trunk of car factor in?

IANAL but I think the only guns that would be legally transported in your scenario would be the ones locked in cases in the trunk. I don't think you can legally carry concealed in any state in which you have neither a license or reciprocity.

Thank Gentleman!,

Read up on what happened to a PA woman recently who accidentally crossed into NJ while carrying. If you don't have a license/reciprocity on a license with a state, you may be unable to carry there, for example in MA no permits from other states are accepted, so if you don't have an NR LTC you cannot carry. Period. In RI I think they allow you to pass through without stopping if you have a resident license in your home state, not positive though.

- - - Updated - - -

It should be nationwide just as driver's licenses are. Only difference is driving is supposedly a privilege. Gun ownership/possession is a constitutional right.

Except you shouldn't need a license.

Federal law takes over on a drive thru. Buuuuuuut if you have no permit for that state it MUST be in a locked case inaccessible from the seat. IE in the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Federal law takes over on a drive thru. Buuuuuuut if you have no permit for that state it MUST be in a locked case inaccessible from the seat. IE in the trunk.

This depends on the state you are transiting. In many states, obeying FOPA is overkill/unnecessary. Most states have laws that are far less strict than what FOPA requires. Most states in the US require NO PERMIT WHATSOEVER for merely possessing an unloaded firearm (of any kind) in a motor vehicle.

-Mike

As others have said, it will never happen for two main reasons.
1. These are anti-gun states that want to make it harder for us to own/carry/transport firearms, they will never make it easier.
2. These are nanny states that burden taxpayers with ridiculous taxes to pay for their nanny handout programs and they still want more so no way they will give up the revenue of nonresident permits.

The only thing I could possibly imagine would be limited reciprocity just to allow you to carry it in your car without having to stop somewhere to lock it in your trunk first if you are just passing through the state but that's it. You stop for gas, you better lock it up. Even that has a snowball's chance in hell of happening and they'd still want their fees for it. I would pay $50 to allow me to pass through New England and NY/NJ without having to get out and lock it up but not $50 each state, $50 for all of them. They would never go for it.

Also as others have said, it ridiculous that we even have to deal with it since we are supposed to have this right anyway according to the 2nd amendment. Car accidents kill far more than gun related incidents and we give drivers licenses to 16 year olds.

This depends on the state you are transiting. In many states, obeying FOPA is overkill/unnecessary. Most states have laws that are far less strict than what FOPA requires. Most states in the US require NO PERMIT WHATSOEVER for merely possessing an unloaded firearm (of any kind) in a motor vehicle.

-Mike
RI allows carry by a permit holder from another state provided they are driving through without an intent to detail on delay him/herself. Detain or delay yourself and the state will detain or delay you.

If I may...

What's the most friendly country in the entire world for gun owners?

What if we wanted to travel or retire to Canada or Mexico or Overseas and wanted to carry conceal...is there any way to do this?

Is there any countries in this world that respect our right to self defense and allow for conceal carry?

When you think about it, we really are limited in our travels with regard to the right to self defense.

Canada a very slight maybe,but who the f#^k would want to retire to mexico.Aside from some stupid laws,and some anti-gun moon bats. The USA is where I stay!

Actually I'm wondering if fewer states will recognize our permits now that not everyone needs to take a training class.

Last edited:
Canada a very slight maybe,but who the f#^k would want to retire to mexico.Aside from some stupid laws,and some anti-gun moon bats. The USA is where I stay!
Canada has carry permits, but the issuance criteria makes NYC look like "shall issue", and the # of actual "concealed carry permits" per capita in Canada is miniscule compared to that in NYC.

You can get a license for a rifle (5 round limit) or handgun (10 round limit, 105mm min bbl length; no .25 caliber) for sporting use only.

Is there any countries in this world that respect our right to self defense and allow for conceal carry?
You would have better luck looking for a corner of the world that is peaceful enough to not need it. The "catch" to any of these "move elsewhere to retire" scenarios is you will subject yourself to the medical, and medical payment system, of another country (don't assume a country with free medical care for its citizens will let you move there and get treated without payment up front).

Thanks Gentleman!,

Also, I have a Fla. & Utah non resident permits. So if avoid or don't stop in the states without reciprocity to my permits like Jersey, N.Y., S.C. Ill.,etc can I carry concealed driving thru these states while on my "Two Year End of Life Tour of America"??? Does having ammo, M1 Garand w/ bayonet & a Colt 1911 locked in a case in the trunk of car factor in?

Just seeing this, (some three months after you posted it). I have the same collection of permits that you have, plus a Virginia non-resident one. FL, UT and VA are the ones accepted by the largest number of states and there's a lot of overlap -- but there are changes as reciprocity agreements between states are modified, so you might want to consider adding VA.

You are NOT licensed to carry in/through RI, MA, (or NY, NJ), and a couple other states. Based on my own research, (take that for what it's worth -- trust but verify would be my recommendation), you can transport your unloaded, LOCKED UP firearms through MA and RI without issue. I'd personally stay away from NY and NJ because although Federal law allows you to transport unloaded/locked up firearms through a state if your source/destination are legal for you -- my reading of news shows that NY and NJ tend to arrest you and make you prove that you were legal in court.

I've been trying to determine if my ownership of a company that does business throughout New England, that requires my travel and possession of both valuable goods and money is sufficient grounds to justify to RI and/or MA authorities the issuance of a permit. Haven't decided if I want to go through the headache of applying, yet.

Thanks Gentleman!,

Yes. speaking for RI:
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-8.HTM

The link that Mike posted includes this:
The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island.

I had NOT read that previously; I need to do some more research.

Thanks!

Actually I'm wondering if fewer states will recognize our permits now that not everyone needs to take a training class.

I realize that this is an old bump, but my guess would be "No". The states that accept MA's license (with the exclusion of the free by default ones) seem to take the posture of "We feel bad for people from MA, if they live in that shithole and went through the hoops we'll trust them with a concealed weapon in our state". For example an MA LTC is valid in TX, but yet TX has a live fire qual requirement in its CHL regs and MA does not. "Recognizing the license" is a huge legal variant from Reciprocity.

Just seeing this, (some three months after you posted it). I have the same collection of permits that you have, plus a Virginia non-resident one. FL, UT and VA are the ones accepted by the largest number of states and there's a lot of overlap -- but there are changes as reciprocity agreements between states are modified, so you might want to consider adding VA.

You are NOT licensed to carry in/through RI, MA, (or NY, NJ), and a couple other states. Based on my own research, (take that for what it's worth -- trust but verify would be my recommendation), you can transport your unloaded, LOCKED UP firearms through MA and RI without issue. I'd personally stay away from NY and NJ because although Federal law allows you to transport unloaded/locked up firearms through a state if your source/destination are legal for you -- my reading of news shows that NY and NJ tend to arrest you and make you prove that you were legal in court.

I've been trying to determine if my ownership of a company that does business throughout New England, that requires my travel and possession of both valuable goods and money is sufficient grounds to justify to RI and/or MA authorities the issuance of a permit. Haven't decided if I want to go through the headache of applying, yet.

Just my two cents... I live in PA , have a PA LTCF and have friends and relatives in CT and have a CT Pistol Permit. I travel from PA to CT through both NJ and NY. I use FOPA as my guidance. Pistol is field stripped in a steel locked container with a copy of FOPA and the ammo is in a baggie in a locked container with two magazines (unloaded) of course with a copy of FOPA. Both containers are in the trunk in my travel backpack. The pistol being transported is a S&W 9mm Shield. Two magazines, 8 rounds each. The total number of rounds being transported is 17. (8 in each mag, plus one for the chamber). The round count and fire arm type keeps me legal in CT and NY. The type of ammo is FMJ. (NJ has a hollow point restriction). I carry both my PA license and CT pistol permit. For my destination in CT, I carry a copy of my hotel reservation as well as my family and friends phone numbers and addresses. This is to prove that my journey started lawfully and ends up in a lawful place for pistol possession purposes.

Have been doing this for years with no issue. However, have not ever been stopped by a NJ or NY LEO. Further, I would not disclose that I have any weapons in the vehicle unless asked. If asked, I would keep the keys of the locked container on my person and provide a copy of the FOPA to the officer as I explain my purpose for having the weapon. Hopefully, this would be enough to keep me from being arrested and sent to jail. I do expect to be detained for a while and would be asking for a Supervisor to come to the scene. I do have legal contact in both NY and NJ if need be. all IMHO and at my own peril.

What does detain mean in legal speak? Obviously if you drive straight through you're okay, but what if you need to stop for gas? Obviously RI is small enough most people can make it the extra 20 mins to get gas in MA or CT as they're driving through. But in NY or NJ, does FOPA cover you if you stop for gas or food?

Thanks Gentleman!,

RI allows holders of permits in other states to carry provided they do not intend to detain or delay themselves in RI. MA does not - your only protection in MA is FOPA86 which requires unloaded cased transport.

What does detain mean in legal speak? Obviously if you drive straight through you're okay, but what if you need to stop for gas? Obviously RI is small enough most people can make it the extra 20 mins to get gas in MA or CT as they're driving through. But in NY or NJ, does FOPA cover you if you stop for gas or food?

Matt,

You need to differentiate between concealed carry and transport.

When you are transporting you are protected by the Safe Passage portion of the FOPA. You can stop for any reasonable reasons along the way, including meals, gas, and hotel. You can not deviate from a direct route more than would be necessary to find gas, meals, hotel.

In order to get FOPa protection you need to have the firearm in a locked case if you have a SUV or wagon. If you have a trunk, then it can just be put in the trunk any way you want. In all cases the firearm MUST BE UNLOADED.

The bottom line is that most people on this board worry way too much. If the gun is legal at your point of origin and is legal at your destination, then you can transport it through anywhere, no matter how anti gun. Be advised that FOPA protections do not extend to magazines and ammunition. So if you are going through Jersey, no HP ammo if you want to remain strictly legal.

Don

p.s. This is the text from the actual law:

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Back
Top Bottom