• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recipes for 124g 9mm

I was wondering what people were using for a 124g 9mm CMJ bullet? Is there much difference between a 115 ans 124 ? What does everyone have for a COL too. I am now trying HP38 and changed from Federal primers to CII 500's also. Just gettin some info. Thanks

HP-38, which is very similar to Winchester 231, works very well for me with 124gr JHP out of my glock 34. I use 4.4-4.5gr of WW231 at about 1.140 OAL with CCI primers. I am not sure how this OAL will match up with the CMJs that you have, as the bullet profiles are slightly different.

I prefer the 124 grain over the 115 as it seems to shoot a little softer with less snap than the 115s. Many production shooters will tell you to step it up even more to the 147s, but I find that 124 is a pretty close compromise.

As usual, take this data as reference only and work up your own loads in your gun with the chrono.

Good luck,
Steve

Scooter, you are treading in dangerous areas (like blowing up your gun and your hand) if you are not using a reloading data book for reference.

Do not take any advice from the internet, no matter how well intended it is. It only takes a TYPO to get you in trouble. There have been many typos in the past.

Get yourself a good reference book, and use the reload data that you find therein.

You can also check Hodgdon's site, they have reload data there for their powders.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

If you can't find the SPECIFIC bullet/powder combo that you are hoping for, then call Hodgdon on their telephone number:
If you have a safety problem or concern - DO NOT EMAIL - CALL US DIRECTLY 7:00am to 5:30pm Central Monday-Thursday : 913-362-9455

HP-38, which is very similar to Winchester 231, works very well for me with 124gr JHP out of my glock 34. I use 4.4-4.5gr of WW231 at about 1.140 OAL with CCI primers. I am not sure how this OAL will match up with the CMJs that you have, as the bullet profiles are slightly different.

I prefer the 124 grain over the 115 as it seems to shoot a little softer with less snap than the 115s. Many production shooters will tell you to step it up even more to the 147s, but I find that 124 is a pretty close compromise.

As usual, take this data as reference only and work up your own loads in your gun with the chrono.

Good luck,
Steve

I'm loading for my 34 also and I have the COL set at 1.100 now and was wondeing to go a bit longer. I wasnt sure if it would make much difference,the few I tried fed fine but it seems everyone has a longer COL

Longer OAL = lower pressure, all else equal. Obviously the best choice is to use the OAL in the manual you're getting the load from. If you were to load something not in the books, you'll get the least unsafety by loading as long as you can and still fit the mags and not hit the rifling.

Scooter, you are treading in dangerous areas (like blowing up your gun and your hand) if you are not using a reloading data book for reference.

Do not take any advice from the internet, no matter how well intended it is. It only takes a TYPO to get you in trouble. There have been many typos in the past.

Get yourself a good reference book, and use the reload data that you find therein.

You can also check Hodgdon's site, they have reload data there for their powders.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

If you can't find the SPECIFIC bullet/powder combo that you are hoping for, then call Hodgdon on their telephone number:
If you have a safety problem or concern - DO NOT EMAIL - CALL US DIRECTLY 7:00am to 5:30pm Central Monday-Thursday : 913-362-9455

Oh dont get me wrong I am using a reloading book as well as the Hodgdon site and fall well into the area of safe. I was wondering what others use and I never take what people say on reloading and run down the basement and try it without my own research,no disrespect to the many veteran reloaders here. I do respect their input though as well as yours Duke. I'm a measure twice cut once type of guy,some tine I over analyze things thats all

Fire a few down the pipe, and the gun might take a beating........ All of a sudden the gun doesn't like the extreme pressures any more, and kaboom.......

Use the reload data that you have as reference. Use the OAL that they tell you to use.

I have used 124 gr. FMJ's in my 9mm's but have recently switched to the 124 gr. JHP. I prefer to use a slower burning powder (WSF) in my 9mm loads.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom