recipe/reloading data for 45ACP 185 FP and 200 RN needed

Golddiggie

NES Member
I'm looking to start reloading either 185gr FP or 200gr RN for the AR-45 I'm building. The projectiles I'm looking at are from Xtreme Bullets (I've used them before). Since both projectiles are in stock, I just need to find some decent recipe numbers before pulling the trigger.

I'd like to use either Win231 or Bullseye powders since I have several pounds of each on hand. An alternate would be Silhouette, but I only have one pound of that on hand (currently).

So if anyone has used same weight and profile projectiles with either of my two primary powder choices, please list it on up. I do use CCI large pistol primers. Mostly because that's what I've always used and have a decent amount on hand.

I do want the full powder charge range for these, since I'm not sure what charge will be optimal for the AR-45 configuration (buffer weight and such). I do have 230gr RN projectiles on hand that I could use as well. I was really interested to see what lighter projectiles will do for how the action cycles in the AR build. Plus, possibly, in my 1911's.

Issue I have with using the data you posted is completely different projectile profiles. IIRC, using LSWC for RN/FP isn't advisable. I also looked in the three manuals I have and they don't list the weight and profile projectiles I'm looking at.

From their site:
Load Info
Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp.

Bullet profile is not really relevant to load data. You don't find every possible bullet profile and manufacturer listed in loading tables, so you have to use a little interpolation and go with what bullet best matches your bullet. If you are uncomfortable within this grey area, use only listed bullets in your data.
Bullets of different profiles may require a little tweaking to function properly in your firearm. For example, 200g SWC bullets from different mfrs. may have varying bullet lengths, so you'll have to plunk test each to determine the correct dimensions for your firearm. Usually, the degree to which the SWC bullet shoulder sticks out of the case will affect proper chambering of that bullet.
For your 200g bullet, use the suggested load data from X-Treme and determine your COL via plunk testing. Record this and use it for that bullet.
You can err on the low side of powder charging and work your way up, as appropriate. If you get proper functioning with a full magazine and get slide lock (if your firearm does lock open after the last shot) on an empty magazine, your load is adequate. Perhaps running across the chrony will get you more precise, but that's not always an option.

More...
If you have a 200g bullet that has published data, you can calculate how deeply that bullet is seated into the case. With an unknown 200g bullet, seat it to that same point and measure your COL. Record that dimension. If the round chambers in your firearm, you have a good starting point, regardless of bullet profile. If it fits properly into the magazine, chambers, fires and cycles properly, you're golden.
Now, if you have hollow base bullets (some Berry's and Lehigh bullets), the above may not be an exact science, but you can always err on lower loads and work up.
Again, if this is too risky for you, stick to known bullets with published data.
Fortunately, Lehigh lists load data for their bullets.

I'm less concerned about COL numbers than the powder charge for the 180gr FP ro 200gr RN bullets. IF I found the load data for those projectile types for the powders I'd use that as a starting point. I typically start at the middle of the range and go from there.

I'm NOT going to use the load data for something like SWC for FP or RN projectiles.

I can load up a couple of cases at different COL settings (without primers and powder) to check how they chamber. That's a far less concern than the powder charge levels. Both the projectiles I'm looking at are flat base. IF you looked at the site for Xtreme, you would see that. Different base configurations is also why I'm trying to get data for the SAME bullet profile/configuration. Even if it's not the same manufacturer. I fail to see why this is so difficult to grasp.

I found some data in 2 of my manuals:

185 grain
Bullseye 6.4 to 6.7
Win 231 5.1 to 6.6

200 grain
Bullseye 5 to 5.7
Win 231 5.8 to 6.3

This is from Hornady and Lee. I make no claim that any of this is safe. I just wrote down what was in the books. If in doubt, contact the powder mfgs. They're very helpful. They'll look bad if you blow yourself up.

Hey, how about that. X-Treme has a load manual now. It's been awhile since I've ordered their bullets.
Problem solved!

You might consider the Berry's bullets down the road. I've found their Hybrid Hollow Points to expand quite well in my limited water jug testing. Here's a 185 grain out of my Ruger P97.

Attachments

• Berry'sHHP.jpg
    Berry'sHHP.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1039e.jpg
    IMG_1039e.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Issue I have with using the data you posted is completely different projectile profiles. IIRC, using LSWC for RN/FP isn't advisable. I also looked in the three manuals I have and they don't list the weight and profile projectiles I'm looking at.

From their site:
Load Info
Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp.

Fun fact-
Even super hot magnum loads for 45+P are still under 1100 fps, which is typical lead threshold. Plated I've pushed a little faster.
Jacketed and lead load data typically correspond velocities up to a certain point. Thankfully, 45 never gets to that point. Once you get around 950 fps (with 230's) you'll feel it.
So if we take the 185 data, which lists 5-5.9 gr because of the increased case capacity, I can say that a few weeks back I was pushing 255's with 5 gr. And that was almost a compressed load. And those things were sunk in pretty deep.
I run a lot of those Xtremes in bottom feeds. Good stuff.

Worst case scenario, you'll run a slower powder for the rifle, but I can't see that as a problem.
Load em and let er rip tater chip.

My experience with xtreme is that they run great at mid to upper lead charge weights with 231 (love that powder on 380 acp and 38/357)

I load xtreme's 200gr plated bullets in 45acp in my 1911s and G30 and I use titegroup mainly but they give me great accuracy. I like their 200gr FP for paper punching

I'm looking to start reloading either 185gr FP or 200gr RN for the AR-45 I'm building. The projectiles I'm looking at are from Xtreme Bullets (I've used them before). Since both projectiles are in stock, I just need to find some decent recipe numbers before pulling the trigger.

I'd like to use either Win231 or Bullseye powders since I have several pounds of each on hand. An alternate would be Silhouette, but I only have one pound of that on hand (currently).

So if anyone has used same weight and profile projectiles with either of my two primary powder choices, please list it on up. I do use CCI large pistol primers. Mostly because that's what I've always used and have a decent amount on hand.

I do want the full powder charge range for these, since I'm not sure what charge will be optimal for the AR-45 configuration (buffer weight and such). I do have 230gr RN projectiles on hand that I could use as well. I was really interested to see what lighter projectiles will do for how the action cycles in the AR build. Plus, possibly, in my 1911's.
call your powder manufacture , dont be surprised if they say contact your bullet manufacture first.

How deeply the bullet is seated in the case is where you need to focus.
Call your bullet manufacture and ask them what mold they are using, you will probably find the data more quickly if you know the mold style they are using. ?

I use 5gr of 231 for all the heads I have, 185, 200, and 230 gr lead as well as 230 gr fmj. I just load fmj mostly these day but never had any issues, YMMV.

Ive loaded a dozen different profiles for 45 and used a manual for only the first one. From there , if i change bullet profile ( and oal ), i then adjust accordingly.

Currently, because supplies are limited, im using 4.4 gr of bullseye for a 230grn coated rn .

I'm using W231 for a 230gr.FMJ in my 1911, I practice once a week with a 5" and 3" carry piece . Working up a load for any firearm is the same. Follow the powder ranges and over all lengths . I usually start low and work up , what you want is 100% reliability in function and accuracy. On my 3" 1911 I use the lightest load without any failures and hit what I'm aiming at . I put a lot of rounds through the little guy and I kind of baby it do to the aluminum frame ( Colt New Agent ) I load 4.7 of W231 under a 230gr.FMJ from Precision Delta . Hope I Helped in some way.

Chris

I'm less concerned about COL numbers than the powder charge for the 180gr FP ro 200gr RN bullets. IF I found the load data for those projectile types for the powders I'd use that as a starting point. I typically start at the middle of the range and go from there.

I'm NOT going to use the load data for something like SWC for FP or RN projectiles.

I can load up a couple of cases at different COL settings (without primers and powder) to check how they chamber. That's a far less concern than the powder charge levels. Both the projectiles I'm looking at are flat base. IF you looked at the site for Xtreme, you would see that. Different base configurations is also why I'm trying to get data for the SAME bullet profile/configuration. Even if it's not the same manufacturer. I fail to see why this is so difficult to grasp.
For bullets of the same material (jacketed, swaged lead, cast, plated) and weight......why are you concerned with the powder charge being different for the bullet profile? For example if I find 38 spec load data for 158 grain lswc why would I need to be worried about powder charge for a 158 grain lrn? I certainly find no reason to be concerned.....just start low range or low to mid range powder charge and work it up. That's pretty much reloading 101 right?

For bullets of the same material (jacketed, swaged lead, cast, plated) and weight......why are you concerned with the powder charge being different for the bullet profile? For example if I find 38 spec load data for 158 grain lswc why would I need to be worried about powder charge for a 158 grain lrn? I certainly find no reason to be concerned.....just start low range or low to mid range powder charge and work it up. That's pretty much reloading 101 right?
I've seen different bullet profiles have different charge levels/ranges even under the same weight. For the treatment of the projectile (lead, plated, jacketed) I already have the 'guidance' for what range to use for them.

IME/IMO, it's always best to match what you're loading for projectiles, along with powder choice, than just 'ballparking it'. If you feel like having rounds that are too hot, or too low a charge, is no big deal, then go for it. I don't feel like needing to clear squibs.

Back
Top Bottom