Recipe for H110 for pistol?

Terry Schultz

NES Member
A friend of mine gave me an almost full 8 pound bottle of Hodgdon H110 powder. I know I can use it for .410 shotgun shells but I don’t shoot much .410. I shoot a lot of 44-40 and 45acp but could not find a recipe on the Hodgdon site for it. Does anyone know where I can find a published recipe for the H110 for 44-40 or 45acp?

H110 is a slow burning magnum powder which is why you won't find any 45 load data.

Don't know about 44-40. It's "similar" to 44 mag but a lower pressure from what I understand which probably explains why you can't find H110 data?

Do you reload any magnum pistol calibers? 30 carbine? 300 blackout? H110 is the perfect powder for those, FWIW.

I use to load for 12 ga. but since the price of factories has come down I haven't loaded 12 for close to a year. I only load pistol for cowboy and bullseye (44-40 & 45acp). Thanks for the response. Maybe I can find someone that I can trade this powder to.

H110 is a slow burning magnum powder which is why you won't find any 45 load data.

Don't know about 44-40. It's "similar" to 44 mag but a lower pressure from what I understand which probably explains why you can't find H110 data?

Do you reload any magnum pistol calibers? 30 carbine? 300 blackout? H110 is the perfect powder for those, FWIW.
This. It's for mag. Best for .357 mag with mag. primers. Jack.

You'll want something faster for .45 acp.
Anything between #13 and #31 should work just fine-
hodgdon-powder-burn-rate-chart1.png

I use H110 in .357 and .44 magnum but as others have said, it's unsuitable for the calibers you mentioned. There are too many suitable powders to list them here and the .44/40 is very dependent on the strength of the firearm. You should be able to find many good choices by looking in any reloading manual. Selling or trading the H110 would be best for you but an open container may make that difficult.

This. It's for mag. Best for .357 mag with mag. primers. Jack.
21.3 grains h110 under a Speer 125 grain hollow point and yes using a mag primer.....per the manual.

Send those out of a snub sp101 equals 3 to 4 feet of fire out the barrel. I know.....total waste of powder....but what a blast to shoot!

21.3 grains h110 under a Speer 125 grain hollow point and yes using a mag primer.....per the manual.

Send those out of a snub sp101 equals 3 to 4 feet of fire out the barrel. I know.....total waste of powder....but what a blast to shoot!
WOW. I use 18.5 gr H110/Win 296 with a 125gr JHP in my Python. Does 21.3 gr give you a compressed load? Jack.

WOW. I use 18.5 gr H110/Win 296 with a 125gr JHP in my Python. Does 21.3 gr give you a compressed load? Jack.
Do you mean does the powder get compressed by the projectile?

If so I'd say the projo just fits without compressing the powder.

The manual I read stated 21 to 22 grains h110 with a Speer jacketed hollow pont and not to download it.

Do you have manual data that states downloading under 21 is ok? I'd actually like to download it a bit as that recipe is frigging HOT. Through my snub I am getting 1310 fps on my chrono. The manual claims 1900 out of a 10 inch test barrel. It's a hot load

That has to be a painful load to shoot from a snubbie!
With a set of wood grips it was downright aweful. I put an old set of hogue grips on it and it's a handful but not painful. Surprisingly accurate to 25 feet through the snub sp101 and I can clear 5 plates (it's a 5 shot revolver) in 4.7 seconds at 25 feet. Now...I certainly don't shoot this load every turn at the rack......I shoot 3 sets (15 rounds)and thats it. Hands feel a bit numb after that lol

But it's alot of fun.

Yeah the hogue grips would be pretty much a must for more than 1 shot! Hurts just thinking about it

Do you mean does the powder get compressed by the projectile?

If so I'd say the projo just fits without compressing the powder.

The manual I read stated 21 to 22 grains h110 with a Speer jacketed hollow pont and not to download it.

Do you have manual data that states downloading under 21 is ok? I'd actually like to download it a bit as that recipe is frigging HOT. Through my snub I am getting 1310 fps on my chrono. The manual claims 1900 out of a 10 inch test barrel. It's a hot load
I used my 30 yo Win. loading data (Win 296) which gives the 90+% fill under the bullet to prevent detonation. Anyway it has worked fine in all that time. Seems that more (100%fill) is better than less. Jack.

Yeah the hogue grips would be pretty much a must for more than 1 shot! Hurts just thinking about it
Here's the recipe from hodgedon. 1966 fps from a 10 inch barrel with the full 22 grains I'd guess through a 6 inch it's still going to1500 or more right?

Screenshot_20190913-121110_Chrome.jpg

read good and bad on this, what's your recipe?

currently using 19.7 grains of H110 behind a Hornady 110 vmax. Cronos in the range of 2250 fps out of my 8" barrel. It causes Arizona jackrabbits to assume room temperature compliance.

I go back and forth between H110 and Lil Gun for the .300 blackout depending on what the local shop has on hand whenever I get over there. Mostly lil gun, but the H110 gets a bit more velocity.

careful using Lil Gun in a revolver, it burns way hot and can cause damage around the forcing cone from 'flame cutting'

careful using Lil Gun in a revolver, it burns way hot and can cause damage around the forcing cone from 'flame cutting'
Lil gun and H110 are used in my house for supersonic.300 blackout. But that’d be an interesting revolver.......

Downloading H110 is usually a bad idea... weird shit often happens. If you need something lighter you're better off just using a different powder.

-Mike

Downloading H110 is usually a bad idea... weird shit often happens. If you need something lighter you're better off just using a different powder.

-Mike
That's what I was told by a few people. It's of that the hodgedon site has load data of 21 to 22 grains under a 125 grain projo. Just seems like a small variation.

-Mike
The "weird shit" that can happen is that when you hold the gun horizontal with a light charge of 110 or 296 there is too much empty space over the powder charge and the magnum primer can flash into the whole charge instead of giving a controlled burn. Detonation. Jack.

I can get a few more FPS max loads with H110 in my .44 but am more comfortable using 2400 for moderate loads for the reasons stated above.

Back
Top Bottom