• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

recipe for 45 acp

From Speer #14:

.45 TMJ Match SWC
185gr
COAL 1.275
AA #5 7.2gr 691 fps 8.0gr 793 fps

I know it's not exactly the same bullet, but if you start off a little lighter, you can work up a load that you like.

For a point of reference, I load 185gr LSWC on top of 4.8gr RedDot which gives me 920fps, about 15% faster than the numbers in the above mentioned reference.

Recipe

Hey for what it is worth check out
WWW.LOADDATA.COM
I always recommend you take great care in using any recipe but I have had a good deal of luck with this site and I have done thousands of 185 45acp loads.

Best of luck and please be safe

From Speer #14:

.45 TMJ Match SWC
185gr
COAL 1.275
AA #5 7.2gr 691 fps 8.0gr 793 fps

I know it's not exactly the same bullet, but if you start off a little lighter, you can work up a load that you like.

For a point of reference, I load 185gr LSWC on top of 4.8gr RedDot which gives me 920fps, about 15% faster than the numbers in the above mentioned reference.

It isn't even close to the same bullet!!!!!!! the speer listed here is a jacketed bullet not a lead bullet. do not use the load listed above. this is one reason i will never give load data advise to anybody.

It isn't even close to the same bullet!!!!!!! the speer listed here is a jacketed bullet not a lead bullet. do not use the load listed above. this is one reason i will never give load data advise to anybody.

then again, at those velocities, lead vs. TMJ/FMJ is a moot point.

mr. mccurdy is no fool. ive shot with him MANY times.

then again, at those velocities, lead vs. TMJ/FMJ is a moot point.

mr. mccurdy is no fool. ive shot with him MANY times.

I never intended to imply that he was. The lswc load listed seems like a safe load. The one quoted from the Speer manual is for a jacketed bullet. It sure seems like alot of powder for a lead bullet but I have never used AA#5 so I wouldn't know.

I have seen a Glock 17 slide blown off of the frame. The person was a new reloader and got his load data from a forum. The problem was the poster made a typo on the powder type and listed a faster burning powder. The person was lucky to get only a bruise on his shoulder. It coud have been so much worse if the slide had hit him in the face. This is the reason I will not post load data.

Hey for what it is worth check out
WWW.LOADDATA.COM
I always recommend you take great care in using any recipe but I have had a good deal of luck with this site and I have done thousands of 185 45acp loads.

Best of luck and please be safe

I went to the site that you generously suggested and was greeted with the following notice, after placing my info of the load I was interested in:

Sign-Up
For an amazing $29.95 you receive all this for one year! [thinking]

This is EXACTLY what I have been preaching. Unless you see it, with your own eyes, from a scientifically developed source, anything that you see here is "heresay", and to be used at your own peril.

I have also always suggested that you write or CALL one of the manufacturers, and get their input. They are the ones with the ability to get your data right, and the obligation to do so.

So, I would choose a powder that you would want to work with, and contact that manufacturers 800 number, and get the info for your load.

I have seen a Glock 17 slide blown off of the frame. The person was a new reloader and got his load data from a forum. The problem was the poster made a typo on the powder type and listed a faster burning powder. The person was lucky to get only a bruise on his shoulder. It coud have been so much worse if the slide had hit him in the face. This is the reason I will not post load data.

manuals

get lymans cast bullet manual.you can use Jacket loading as long as the lead is same or lighter.the lead has less friction and will not raise pressure.

I figured I'd dredge this up and add to it.

I loaded up some 185gr LSWC .45 ACP last night with 5.2 grains of 700X, and an OAL of 1.260". The chrono'ed out at about 940fps, fed reliably, and were pretty accurate.

I have two loads which I use in bullseye pistol shooting with 185 gr.SWC in 45 ACP:
3.8 gr. HS-700X, Rem 2.5 = ca 710 fps, very mild and accurate load out to 25 yards
3.8 gr. VV N-310, WLP = ca. 790 fps, accurate out to 50 yards

Back
Top Bottom