Recent retirees

So I might be hanging my hat on the wall this year, a bit earlier than planned. Safely past twenty years, so I’ll walk with a pension, but my question to the retirees here - what do I need to look out for, pay special attention to, what do I need to know that isn’t covered in TGPS (TAPS) - basically what advice do you have for a busted up salt stained enlisted guy about to retire?

So I might be hanging my hat on the wall this year, a bit earlier than planned. Safely past twenty years, so I’ll walk with a pension, but my question to the retirees here - what do I need to look out for, pay special attention to, what do I need to know that isn’t covered in TGPS (TAPS) - basically what advice do you have for a busted up salt stained enlisted guy about to retire?
Do your VA stuff NOW. Don't wait 11 years, do it now. Take advantage of every option they give you for moving. Take terminal leave - do not sell it! Selling it gives you a bonus sized chunk and you will get raped on taxes.

Do your VA stuff NOW. Don't wait 11 years, do it now. Take advantage of every option they give you for moving. Take terminal leave - do not sell it! Selling it gives you a bonus sized chunk and you will get raped on taxes.
Isn't this just an increase in withholdiong because each paycheck is evaluated as if that is a regular one? Will the taxes be any more once you file (assuming that the terminal leave time does not cross between years, in which case you can split the burden by not taking it all at once.

Maintain your clearance. While the CG utilizes a different database, it will still be valid for 2 years after separation. Get a printout of your clearance status from checkmate (I think that's the DHS platform). If anything, you can fall back on that.

Isn't this just an increase in withholdiong because each paycheck is evaluated as if that is a regular one? Will the taxes be any more once you file (assuming that the terminal leave time does not cross between years, in which case you can split the burden by not taking it all at once.
After 50% you get concurrent receipt, in other words, your retirement and VA compensation. Knowing the platforms he works on, he should have no issue hitting 50 for the following:

Hearing
Tinnitus
Back
Knees
Hips

The taxes on selling leave sucks ass. Not only that, but you lose the BAH

After 50% you get concurrent receipt, in other words, your retirement and VA compensation. Knowing the platforms he works on, he should have no issue hitting 50 for the following:

Hearing
Tinnitus
Back
Knees
Hips

The taxes on selling leave sucks ass. Not only that, but you lose the BAH
Hit all those but hips! (I did the OT&E on some one-off “allegedly surf capable” non-standards, too) - but how is selling better than stopping by and letting my face be seen one a week better than keeping up the BAH and BAS and then selling 60?
(Not arguing your point - genuinely trying to work shit out on a short timetable)

First let me suggest that you go with the U S Family health plan, they are awesome. My son in law with 26 years CG went with CHAMPUS, wouldn't listen. In the next phase of your life your going to have a big adjustment to civilian life, you will get by that. What ever job you do in the future make sure you know how Social Security is dished out to retirees, Thanks to President Reagan I only got 50%. If you buy a house pay it off as quick as you can, my retirement check help big time. Last but not least don't expect to be hired just because your military the truth is the opposite.

Get out of debt as soon as possible and stay out of debt forever.

No matter how much you like it..... Never buy a brand new vehicle, they are a losing proposition from the very moment you sign the paperwork.

Find somewhere to settle where the cost of living is manageable, the gun laws are few to none, away from any large cities and taxes are low.

Eat right, stay healthy, live long.

No matter how much you like it..... Never buy a brand new vehicle, they are a losing proposition from the very moment you sign the paperwork.

Find somewhere to settle where the cost of living is manageable, the gun laws are few to none, away from any large cities and taxes are low.

This! May I add, stay active. Keep moving. Keep the brain moving. Doesn't have to be a lot, just don't veg.

And thank you for all you've done.

Now go enjoy life.

Jay

I've been preaching those exact points forever. Few people realize what a wealth killer debt is. I was able to retire very young. Not because I made more money than my colleagues but because I kept more money than my colleagues. No car payments, no credit card debt, no loans what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom