• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Received my Utah non res permit today

I just thought I would pass along my experience so that others have something to gauge the wait time by. I took the class at MFS on March 31. I mailed the packet on April 16 and I got the permit in today's mail. If my addition is right, that's 56 days. The letter accompanying the permit says it's contingent on a satisfactory criminal background check from the FBI. I'm a little surprised they would issue in advance of receiving that. I'm wondering since I had to get an annulment before I could get my MA LTC. Is this the standard letter that comes with all permits?

Hmmmm... I never got that letter but after I had my Utah license for 3 or 4 months I received a new fingerprint card from them asking me to resubmit because the originals were smudged. Iwas given a short time frame to get the new set of prints back to them or my license would be taken.

Congrats!!
I got that same letter but I have had mine for two years now and not received anything else so I guess I'm legal.. literally took 41 days from start to finish I was incredibly surprised..

Congrats!!
I got that same letter but I have had mine for two years now and not received anything else so I guess I'm legal.. literally took 41 days from start to finish I was incredibly surprised..

Thanks for your reply. It's reassuring to know the letter is standard and not because I had the annulment.

Does anybody remember, there was some change about UT non resident permits? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe now all renewal applicants must appear in person, meaning one has to travel to Utah to renew the license. It this is the case, there will be no renewal for me ;-(

I mailed mine in May 14 and they received and acknowledged it May 16, I am just waiting for it to be processed and mailed to me. I hoping it comes without any issues.

Does anybody remember, there was some change about UT non resident permits? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe now all renewal applicants must appear in person, meaning one has to travel to Utah to renew the license. It this is the case, there will be no renewal for me ;-(

That only applies to a few states. If you're from MA you do not need to appear in person for a renewel.

I mailed mine in May 14 and they received and acknowledged it May 16, I am just waiting for it to be processed and mailed to me. I hoping it comes without any issues.

I did not receive an acknowledgement of receipt. I only knew because of the charge on my debit card.

I'm a little surprised they would issue in advance of receiving that.

I believe UT has a 60 day time limit and, if they can't get the background check done in that time, must issue and recall the permit if it is subsequently revoked.

As opposed to the MA policy of "40 day deadline ... so, what are you going to do about it?"

That change to "appear in person" was recently done for the Pennsylvania non resident permit, you may have just got your states mixed up [smile]

I have gone through 2 renewals on my Utah permit now, and got the letter each time, looks to just be a standard letter they send out with the permit

I believe UT has a 60 day time limit and, if they can't get the background check done in that time, must issue and recall the permit if it is subsequently revoked.

As opposed to the MA policy of "40 day deadline ... so, what are you going to do about it?"

I'm really not expecting any problems but I did want to see if the letter I got was standard. It seems it is. I answered everything correctly and submitted a copy of my annulment. On the federal level my issue isn't a DQ or I wouldn't have a mass LTC. Thanks for your input on the 60 day limit.

I'm really not expecting any problems but I did want to see if the letter I got was standard. It seems it is. I answered everything correctly and submitted a copy of my annulment. On the federal level my issue isn't a DQ or I wouldn't have a mass LTC. Thanks for your input on the 60 day limit.

Just curious about something you have mentioned a couple of times... what does getting an annulment have to do with applying for a CCW? I don't remember any questions relating to that on the MA LTC app. Is there something on the UT app. that asks about your marital status, and does getting a divorce, or in your case an annulment make you somehow un-suitable to carry firearms?

or in your case an annulment make you somehow un-suitable to carry firearms?

Some states (but not MA) have an "annulment" procedure that basically retroactively unconvicts someone after they have paid their penalty and a certain amount of time has passed, thus removing a potentially disqualifying criminal record. This has an impact in MA as an "annulled" offense in another state is not a statutory disqualification, even if the conviction, prior to annulment was a disqualifier.

This "annulment" has nothing to do with marriage, or with the form of annulment granted by the Catholic church after you happen to make a hefty donation to their coffers.

Some states (but not MA) have an "annulment" procedure that basically retroactively unconvicts someone after they have paid their penalty and a certain amount of time has passed, thus removing a potentially disqualifying criminal record. This has an impact in MA as an "annulled" offense in another state is not a statutory disqualification, even if the conviction, prior to annulment was a disqualifier.

This "annulment" has nothing to do with marriage, or with the form of annulment granted by the Catholic church after you happen to make a hefty donation to their coffers.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering how bad a person you would have to marry as to need an annulment to get a LTC in Massachusetts.

I got mine around 6 months ago...took nearly 60 days....It looks like someone printed it in their mom's basement, but I guess it does the job

I got mine around 6 months ago...took nearly 60 days....It looks like someone printed it in their mom's basement, but I guess it does the job

Then things have changed. The one being issued now is multi layered holographic. It makes the MA LTC look very dated.

I took my class and mailed the application in mid March. I just got the license on Saturday, it included the letter you mentioned about fingerprints and the FBI.

I'm still waiting for my non-res Maine license which I mailed at the same time.

Thank you for clearing that up, Rob! I had never before heard the term annulment used in that fashion before which was why I was confused into thinking it was a marital issue.

Back
Top Bottom