Received my LTC Class A with restrictions

Ridiculous. Almost as bad as Canton. Going on two years here with my Class A w/ restrictions. Had to start one year with Class B first. Last time I met with them to talk about having them taken off I got the feeling they are NEVER going to take them off unless I try some sort of legal action. Good luck.

Ridiculous. Almost as bad as Canton. Going on two years here with my Class A w/ restrictions. Had to start one year with Class B first. Last time I met with them to talk about having them taken off I got the feeling they are NEVER going to take them off unless I try some sort of legal action. Good luck.

I haven't dealt with Canton in a couple years, but when I did they were quite difficult to deal with on many levels.

Ditto for Braintree, change it to RED and lets stop deceiving people.

Jesus, 5 letters of recommendation for first time applicants? Talk about a way to simply discourage application all together. That is an undue burden for somebody just moving to the area, not very social outside family, friends with people of "questionable" backgrounds such that you dont want to use them, etc.

Some towns in this state are truly hopeless, nobody is stepping in to save the day, like I said the best you could hope for is a set of standards for the entire state. Problem is, knowing the way people vote and the anti 2A idiots we consistently elect in this state, we'd be one big RED state where only the privileged have access to self defense. The state can give and the state can take it away, unfortunately MA is perpetually in the take it away mode when it comes to peoples rights.

That type of bullshit is EXACTLY why I never went through the rest of the process 20 years ago when I first took the classes. My particular town required that, and now fortunately only requires that you list references not related to you, but no requirement for letters anyway. That process is most definitely to discourage applicants, especially those who are new to the area since they will not have the ability to get those letters since they are not known well enough like you said.

I recently applied for my LTC in a north shore town. I was prepared to use the line "For personal protection in and out of the home, and sport target." My basic firearms safety instructor advised us not to use "For all lawful purposes." However as I was sitting with the officer doing the application he didn't even ask my reasons, he simply typed in "For all lawful purposes" on his own. Granted I did detail why I wanted the LTC in my letter to the chief, but I was surprised the interviewer didn't ask me. For what its worth he also said "Ok we'll mail it to ya when it comes in" Implying I was pretty much a lock to get it.

Of course he did. As I said, any town that requires 5 letters of recommendation from non-family members and a range membership is NOT a green town. It is most assuredly RED!

Braintree is tough but I wouldn't call it a RED town... close though haha. At least you get your license even though it is restricted. That's better then Boston and it's surrounding towns who have to jump through even more hoops like the moon island test and sometimes not even getting a restricted one after all the money spent.

One of my friends in Braintree had the same outcome, restricted class A, took 5 recommendation letters which truly is a PITA, not hard to write but damn... I'd think references would be far sufficient.it's BS but at the end of the day, he's just glad he got it. Hopefully can get restrictions lifted one year haha.

I'm not trying to be confrontational or to challenge the validity of yours as well as many other peoples' assessments of the "color" of each town, but I'm just wondering on what data you rely on to make broad brush evaluations and nuances of the licensing policies of each town. The reason I ask is that in my experience, every applicant is different and even when I have handled several cases in an individual town, I cannot with absolute certainty predict the ultimate license each applicant will receive.

Again, I do not challenge the validity of these assessments.

Braintree is tough but I wouldn't call it a RED town... close though haha. At least you get your license even though it is restricted. That's better then Boston and it's surrounding towns who have to jump through even more hoops like the moon island test and sometimes not even getting a restricted one after all the money spent.

One of my friends in Braintree had the same outcome, restricted class A, took 5 recommendation letters which truly is a PITA, not hard to write but damn... I'd think references would be far sufficient.it's BS but at the end of the day, he's just glad he got it. Hopefully can get restrictions lifted one year haha.

Red versus green isn't about whether you get a permit or not, it's about the application of restrictions to that permit

ETA: Boston most certainly issues Class A. Go read the thread about the color coding again, especially the very first post in it

Picking your brain a little more...so with the "Hunting and Target" restrictions, I am only allowed to transport my guns to and from hunting or target shootings. What if I want to sleep over somewhere near the hunting site or stop over a friend's house on my way back, am I in violation?

It means whatever your issuing body wants it to mean.

In Waltham, I was told I was allowed to CCW to and from the range/hunting; stopping for gas or a restroom break is fine but meeting up with my wife or gf while coming or going is in violation.

Take that with a grain of salt though. Most people here will say don't CCW unless you have a signed letter from your CLEO stating your restriction allowances or DO NOT CCW AT ALL unless you are ALP/NR.

I have restrictions and I still CCW, regardless where I go. For me, someone who cannot retreat (IE run away, escape) due to health issues that could be fatal to me, self preservation is more important than the likelihood of my license being revoked.

It means whatever your issuing body wants it to mean.

In Waltham, I was told I was allowed to CCW to and from the range/hunting; stopping for gas or a restroom break is fine but meeting up with my wife or gf while coming or going is in violation.

Take that with a grain of salt though. Most people here will say don't CCW unless you have a signed letter from your CLEO stating your restriction allowances or DO NOT CCW AT ALL unless you are ALP/NR.

I have restrictions and I still CCW, regardless where I go. For me, someone who cannot retreat (IE run away, escape) due to health issues that could be fatal to me, self preservation is more important than the likelihood of my license being revoked.

Since you have health issues it may be worth trying to get the restriction removed. You could probably build your case around getting a letter from your doctor describing your disability and how this effects your daily life.

Then write a persuasive letter to the chief coupled with letters of reference and maybe take a course in concealed carry.

Make sure your reference letters have detail and substance.

What you describe, my friend, is as red as it gets. There are about 2 towns that consistently "B ram" ie force you to get a class B. The rest will issue class A LTC. I don't know where you got the idea that Boston won't issue A's, though their restriction (or not) criteria suck, its actually one of the more cut and dry red towns as far as how to get the process done, what to expect, etc. 5 letters of recommendation, gun club membership required (read $$$$) just for Target, hunting license required just for hunting restrictions. Thats out there and about as bad as it gets.

Green means the average citizen with a spotless record who knows NOBODY in town government can go in, receive an objective look at his background/application and be issued LTC-A no restrictions.

I agree, outside of Boston which is pretty black and white as to who gets what restrictions, Ive definitely heard of many different towns that are considered red on here going the other way for some reason. It always seems to be a flash in the pan and never a trend though. I think, if anything, our collective assessments of the towns on this forum are TOO GREEN. People have been spouting off Randolph and Braintree as green for years and they have been green on here since I started reading 5 years ago. They are both far from it. Braintree has always been bad. Randolph has had stints of being as green as can be only to go back to old tricks, multiple times. I have a hard time believing there are not other "green" towns who do this stuff.

I personally think reports of a town going red to green are more robust than green to red. When somebody reports back data to suggest red, we dont know if we have all the info. They could have things in their past that LO's don't like that seem like a non issue here. Who on here really wants to report every little glitch in their background when giving an assessment of a town? Some LO's will even base their opinions on traffic history which most would think nothing about when talking about LTC's. There are alot of variables at work and also alot of stright up spotless people getting screwed, IMO.

Boston is a big ? mark right now. I just met with the brand new licensing officer. I have a couple cases pending that we were discussing. He seems like a reasonable guy. That's all we know right now.

Since you have health issues it may be worth trying to get the restriction removed. You could probably build your case around getting a letter from your doctor describing your disability and how this effects your daily life.

Then write a persuasive letter to the chief coupled with letters of reference and maybe take a course in concealed carry.

Make sure your reference letters have detail and substance.

Sounds like a course of action that would be worthwhile. I did explain my health concerns in detail on my LTC application but my CLEO didnt budge on the restrictions. I was told they would be lifted on my next renewal.

I know my cardio and EPs would write out a letter describing my condition and its effects but I have been banking on my restrictions being lifted.

I'm not trying to be confrontational or to challenge the validity of yours as well as many other peoples' assessments of the "color" of each town, but I'm just wondering on what data you rely on to make broad brush evaluations and nuances of the licensing policies of each town. The reason I ask is that in my experience, every applicant is different and even when I have handled several cases in an individual town, I cannot with absolute certainty predict the ultimate license each applicant will receive.

Again, I do not challenge the validity of these assessments.
I'm still trying to find, as hard as I try, where the hell it says in the second amendment of the Constitution, where different towns,never mind different states, have different rights and interpretations of the right to bear arms. I mean, one town doesn't give out a license to enable free speech or which license type you need for your religion.
At least Vermont, as moonbatty as they may be, gets it, go figure.

This thread is starting to mimic the "Guid to gun rights in your Massachusetts town" thread.

Maybe its time to move this discussion over there so I don't have to keep bouncing between both threads?

For what it's worth, I just got my LTC-A with no restrictions in January and yes from Braintree. I didn't get hassled about anything. The letter requirements were "ridiculous", yes, but no one questioned my letters.

For what it's worth, I just got my LTC-A with no restrictions in January and yes from Braintree. I didn't get hassled about anything. The letter requirements were "ridiculous", yes, but no one questioned my letters.

They don't question the letters. They just count them to make sure that you have them. It's the fact that you need to get 5 letters of recommendation from non-family members and belong to a range. Once you have all the items, the interview is painless, but most likely applicants are going to end up with a target and hunting restriction. The point of the matter is that it appears that they want to make it as difficult as possible and the feeling of it's just too much trouble to get one, and that's, as we all know, wrong.

[horse]

http://www.braintreepd.org/LTC.pdf

Last edited:
FWIW, I applied in Randolph last month. I had all my stuff in order and joined a local club before applying. Like others have said the commander is a really nice guy and very reasonable. I was told when I was leaving my lic would be for no restrictions. I'll post back for sure when I get it.

Back
Top Bottom