• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Received my 1st traffic stop while carrying today

I was stopped at the intersection of Rt 1 and 152 waiting to make a left turn onto Rt 1 to take Rt 495. The light changed green for cars going straight and I made a left turn against a red arrow. I was on the hands free phone with my vet talking about the dog and didn't see it the red arrow. As soon as I completed the turn I saw blue lights behind me. I put on my right directional and slowed to enter Lowe's to take this off the main road. When I stopped I opened all 4 windows, shut off the radio and car and sat with my hands at the steering wheels 12. The detective approached, introduced himself and told me what I had done. I said "Honestly, I didn't even see it." He asked for my license and I as I was handing it to him he asked where I was going. I saw the vets number on my phone on my dash and though for a second of saying the vet but I replied "honestly I am on my way to the range". He asked "so you are carrying now?" I replied "yes sir it's at my 4:00." He asked if I had an active LTC, and I told him I did while I was looking for it in my wallet. I accidentally handed him my pilots license. He handed it back saying that wasn't it. I looked at it and said "oh ya, that's my pilot license." I then handed him my LTC. As he was looking them over I asked if he wanted to see my reg, he said hat's not necessary. Asked what range I belonged to. I told him Mansfield. As he handed me back my documents he said that he was a firearms instructor, told me to be safe and have a good grouping. I told him thank you, be safe as well. and we both went on our way.

Your first problem was shutting off the radio. You should have the "Cops" TV show theme song queued and ready to go. Second problem is you did not say, "I AM PROPERLY LICENSED" first, then say, "Yes, I am carrying."

Good job. Nobody died.

Thanks. It was pretty low key. I thought about saying I'm carrying but I have asked my police and they say they preferred not to be told. I just relaxed and answered his questions directly.

Wait...your first stop ever? How old are you?

I got my first ticket at 16. It was an excellent experience that made me a much more careful driver. I'm still pretty safe, but I'll bet I've had maybe ten stops, total?

I wonder if that's abnormally high... works out to maybe one stop per year and a half of driving. I thought I was doing okay.

I accidentally handed him my pilots license. He handed it back saying that wasn't it.
Reminds me of the time my wife borrowed my car and handed the cop my buddy's FFL instead of the car registration.

Wait...your first stop ever? How old are you?

I got my first ticket at 16. It was an excellent experience that made me a much more careful driver. I'm still pretty safe, but I'll bet I've had maybe ten stops, total?

I wonder if that's abnormally high... works out to maybe one stop per FontSize

and a half of driving. I thought I was doing okay.

I am 52. But I look like a cop so maybe that helps. I haven't been pulled over in about 15 years but that's not to say that I don't speed I'm frequently doing well over 80 in the left lane on 95 just haven't been caught.

What exactly does a cop look like. I know a lot of them and they don't all look alike out of uniform

I am disappointed you did not just continuously repeat, "Am I being detained"

Couple neighbors had a cookout the other night, and we were broken into conversational groups, some by the fire, some standing around having a beer while the kids were playing in the backyard, (a lot of the neighbors are younger and have small children). I was standing with couple of the guys who happen to live closest to me, and one of them said something about "am I being detained?". Dave got an evil grin on his face and said "I love when they say that". Then we started talking about Sovereign Citizens.

Dave's Border Patrol. The other guys standing there were Coast Guard, Army and Army Fire Department. And me - civilian. Which let me periodically say "my tax dollar at work - sheesh".

What were you expecting to happen? He'd pull you out of the vehicle and beat you? I've been stopped several times in the last 10 years, mostly for rolling thru a stop sign, carrying each time. Nothing happened, Nada, uneventful stops. LTC or questions regarding if I was armed never came up. Nothing post worthy, so.......maybe I live the proverbial charmed life.

Aren't you supposed to continually ask "AM I BEING DETAINED" and demand a supervisor and then start saying "Black lives matter!!" or something like that??

Kalash reporting for NES: today in Massachusetts a man was pulled over and nothing happened. Back to you in the studio!

In most places, this episode would not qualify as news under similar circumstances. Sadly, in MA it does.

Only been stopped once while carrying. Since it was in my town, decided to disclose I was carrying with hopes he wouldn't write me up for speeding (I was)...you know, guy with an LTC is a "good guy, law abiding citizen", etc. Guess it worked, he gave me a warning but did recommend I don't disclose in the future. He told me some guys might get all worked up and make me get out of car, disarm, etc. I'll take his advice moving forward.

I believe officer safety is paramount, and I want to do everything possible to put him/her at ease. I want to immediately notify the officer that I'm carrying, as soon as possible after the stop. I also believe keeping the gun visible, as this will allow him/her to keep eyes on it, and I have no problem relinquishing it to them if they feel safer keeping custody of it.

With that in mind, my plan is this:

Immediately after I'm pulled over, I will get out of the car, and while approaching the officer rapidly (in order to more quickly put him at ease), loudly declare "I HAVE A GUN!" while holding it out in front of me and adding "THIS IS FOR YOU!"

I think this is the best way to handle the situation.

What were you expecting to happen? He'd pull you out of the vehicle and beat you? I've been stopped several times in the last 10 years, mostly for rolling thru a stop sign, carrying each time. Nothing happened,
You're probably white then.

Back
Top Bottom