Received a notice from the State of MA urging me to begin the LTC renewal process now

Just a friendly reminder: Chapter 140 sec 131(e):
"The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law."

Disgusting that so many chiefs of police could care less about abiding by the above law.
No penalty for the PD for non-compliance (there never is any penalty on LE), so they don't care.

I went in to Worcester licensing authority last week for a renewal...the gentlemen at the desk actually instructed me to fill in ‘all lawful purposes’...I was kind of surprised but kept my bearing and complied.

Come back in April, they said...lol...i’ll have bought a house in another (free) state by then, probably.

...meh...

They are supposed to but not all will/do. And it is only generated when they input your data into the system. So if they sit on a pile of apps, chances are you won't get it and you also won't have infinite grace period as allowed by law.

True.

True, however same problem if PD doesn't enter it in the system prior to expiration.
Law changed in 2015, not all merchants can read English (it's printed on the bottom of the MIRCS receipt) or will comply. Never expect big box stores or national chains to comply.

They are supposed to but not all will/do. And it is only generated when they input your data into the system. So if they sit on a pile of apps, chances are you won't get it and you also won't have infinite grace period as allowed by law.

True.

True, however same problem if PD doesn't enter it in the system prior to expiration. Plus if not entered in time all you have is a 90 day grace period per MGL.

Thanks

Deal with better merchants
Not really his point. He's pointing out that some merchants are too stupid to do their own due diligence, and are holding to old laws out of fear from the c**t AG. She's already held several companies over the fire over nonsense: why risk it?

I got my card late-October, I think. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I didn't get there until Dec 1. Ossifer told me 5-6 weeks. "I hope it's 5 - my birthday is in 6." "Shouldn't be a problem."

It's been 7.5. The WONDERFUL DELIGHTFUL clerk at the PD told me to not come back until it was 10 weeks because "that's what they take and the officer should have told you that already." ASS!

My lic went into limbo 11 days ago. Thankfully nothing's come up on the XC that I really want. LOL

Not really his point. He's pointing out that some merchants are too stupid to do their own due diligence, and are holding to old laws out of fear from the c**t AG. She's already held several companies over the fire over nonsense: why risk it?

Really? I got that. Yep I got it. My point is if you deal with a better class of merchant you don't have those kind of problems.

Of course that means you don't always drive for two hours to save $20 on a $400 purchase. It means you pay a fair price for items to provide the merchant the opportunity to compete with the stupid ones. It means you recognize his good service is worth money in the long run.

The skinflint approach is self defeating and kills off the best in class of small business all too often. It leaves the stupid, crooked, back stabbing, rats or the big box stores to survive and they aren't the ones likely to face off against pressure from the AG or anyone else. There are plenty of examples represented on this forum in just the last couple of years.

Personally when I go to the few good shops I support because their service is worth supporting, I never leave empty handed. NEVER LEAVE empty handed(bears repeating)

I always make some purchase cause there is always something there I want or can use. It is easy to spend $20-$40 and those items are most frequently high margin unlike guns which means the merchant might have $10 or more from that small purchase. I consider it the price of admission cause at the very least going to the LGS is entertainment.

What I get in return is smart merchant who knows the laws and works with me

when I face situations like a face value expired license with a MIRCS receipt in hand.

He also doesn't pass out when I need a frame transferred or any of the other myriad circumstances where service makes a difference.

Start the renewal process early and get a receipt then patronize merchants who serve your interests and are worth keeping in business. Some of those also have some of the lowest prices going. Shooting Supply in Westport.

To bad MA could not stream line the process.
Renewal by mail or online. ?
Eliminate the middle man.

As if they really do ANYTHING more than a quick check of your records. The renewal guy said as much. "It takes them, like, 30 minutes to get you checked out. Then they have to print the card and sit on it. Sorry." He was an OK dude. But there is NO reason to do anything but submit a pic and wait for an in-mail renewal. IT'S A RENEWAL!!!!!

For a town that doesn't dick you around for an appointment or sit on the app before submitting to the state it takes about 5 weeks. Anything longer is your town dilly dallying

I suspect a big part of my delays, on a CONSTANT basis, is my birthday being early January. PD takes time off. Bureaucrats in Boston take time off. I'd be willing to be the longest wait times are December applications. Hence my stupidity of NOT applying more than 6 weeks prior. But wife got hers in Summer in 3-4 weeks.

Maybe the thing will be in the mail box when I get home. And maybe the ATF, reading my numerous posts, will give me a Lifetime Buy Anything You Want hall-pass, too.

My lic went into limbo 11 days ago.
(I totally acknowledge that many retailers
won't sell guns or ammo on an expired LTC, but...)
Q: Did Teh Man give you a MIRCS receipt?

Then again, I've never really coveted a gun in an out-of-state shop,
and buying ammo at 619DW is a nice trip in the country.

Last edited:
When I got the letter about renewing I emailed the licensing officer in my town on a Saturday night and she responded an hour later telling me to call on Monday for an appointment. I had the updated license in only a few weeks. Your mileage may vary.

It can when your PD camps/turtles/drags serious ass and sits on your LTC app. Get the renewal in and get the receipt, then wait... as long as you have that receipt, you're covered if it goes into expiration.

-Mike
The "grace" period does not appear to apply to the Green Card. So be careful there. Jack.

Good to see this thread reminder, I come up this July.

What really chaffs me.... why can I walk into the PA sheriffs office and have them do a background check and walk out with new laminated license in hand in under 30 minutes for only $20

5 months before it expires due to high application volume.
Does it take 5 months?

I did mine on 13 June 2018 finely got it on 6 Oct 2018... My wife did hers in Oct 2018 and see still hasn't gotten it yet and it's Jan 2019 now...

So yes send them in early...

(I totally acknowledge that many retailers
won't sell guns or ammo on an expired LTC, but...)
Q: Did Teh Man give you a MIRCS receipt?

Then again, I've never really coveted a gun in an out-of-state shop,
and buying ammo at 619DW is a nice trip in the country.

I might have. It's not a big deal, really. The # of guns and/or ammo that I buy a year, a couple of weeks is not a big deal. What chaps me is that there is no reason to make a renewal go through this. Simple background check alone would be sufficient. They could print them in less than a week. It's another Masshat move by the Commonwealth.

I might have. It's not a big deal, really. The # of guns and/or ammo that I buy a year, a couple of weeks is not a big deal. What chaps me is that there is no reason to make a renewal go through this. Simple background check alone would be sufficient. They could print them in less than a week. It's another Masshat move by the Commonwealth.
I hear ya. We're not collectors, but I skinflint -
many of our ammo purchases and a couple of gun buys were sales/special deals.
And there would still be echos audible from my head exploding
if our licenses had been on hiatus during AR Day in 2016 (they weren't).

OTOH, if SCOTUS ever issues a slam-dunk 2A ruling -
50-state constitutional carry -
we may live to see ceremonial LTC burnings...
Never say never.

I'm gonna confetti mine and mail it to the current AG at the time. I'd like it to be Muuuaaaaarrahhhhh.

QUESTION: Can I call the Commonwealthians and find out how my lic. is processing???? I was thinking about this in the shower this AM and don't know WHO or WHERE to call. I'd like to know, 8 weeks later (8x7=56. 56>42.) if they've sent it to Tawwwwn'n or if they are still sitting on it. Also would like to know when they got the packet from Tawwwwn'n. Again, this is the second time in a row they've done this. My wife gets hers in less than a month every time.

I'm gonna confetti mine and mail it to the current AG at the time. I'd like it to be Muuuaaaaarrahhhhh.

QUESTION: Can I call the Commonwealthians and find out how my lic. is processing???? I was thinking about this in the shower this AM and don't know WHO or WHERE to call. I'd like to know, 8 weeks later (8x7=56. 56>42.) if they've sent it to Tawwwwn'n or if they are still sitting on it. Also would like to know when they got the packet from Tawwwwn'n. Again, this is the second time in a row they've done this. My wife gets hers in less than a month every time.

Contact the Firearms License Application Status Hotline at (617) 660-4722.

TY! Called. Issued a week ago. I'll be looking in the mail and then go on my rampage on Monday if it isn't in my mailbox. LOL

I’m sooo close to not having to renew come March 2020... own property in NH, just started a business in NH, and almost have my head above water on my upside down mortgage.

Back
Top Bottom