1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Received a notice from the State of MA urging me to begin the LTC renewal process now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gbest, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

2. BTSDOG

BTSDOG NES Member

Got my notice in Nov. to renew as soon as possible, expires in Mar. 2019, brought app in and just got my new LTC in mail today. Still have 2 months on old one.....or do I ?? Does new LTC supercede old one ??

3. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Read the "date of issue" carefully. That is when the new license is effective.

4. BTSDOG

BTSDOG NES Member

Copy that, then i still have 2 mnths left on old one.....

Len-2A Training likes this.
  5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I got my new lic. on Saturday finally. I feel whole again. LOL. I can ignore this for another 6 years. Gosh I got old in the last 6 years. And my hair is longer. And I'm thinner.

6. kartooo

kartooo NES Member

well into the grace period last time.
    this time i got it in the mail 2 weeks before it expired !!!
    next time, if i make it that far it's free....

7. TangoBravo 605

TangoBravo 605

Seems like I just got my MA non-resident ALP unrestricted. Indeed, 26May18. Just dl'd the app, so I can start the whole process over again, for another one year of valid carry. Would that we NR's had that many years. Oh well......

8. Lone Wolf McQuade

Lone Wolf McQuade NES Member

I went to the Bourne PD today with my completed renewal paperwork. They offer first come first serve LTC sit downs with the Sargent 7 days a week 9AM-11AM subject to availability.

The process took just about 30 minutes as he had problems with the new camera system resizing my photo. Then the finger print scanner had a problem reading some of my prints. Other than that it was a very smooth process.

The CLEO stoped in to ask in a question of the Sargent,and came over to say hello as he is a member of my club. The BPD also has a membership.

Sargent said should be 3-4 weeks as they have really streamlined the process.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Yeah. Bendover. I was told 5-6 and it was 8. The PD didn't get the lic back from ass.gov until the 7th week.

10. jcssme.91

jcssme.91

I was told 6 weeks in Boxborough and it already been 10 and counting...

11. bondsman333

bondsman333 NES Member

Every time I hear talk about LTC renewals, I feel compelled to share my stupid story.

Remember folks, your 'old' LTC does NOT expire when you get your NEW one, it expires on the expiration date. Don't be dumb and shred the old LTC when you get the new one. First hand experience, learn from my mistakes.

AHM likes this.
  12. nutsym16

nutsym16 NES Member

Was told by the FRB the big delay is the state police checking finger prints. The other checks are done after the print check. When that's done they get it sent to pd in a week.

13. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Submitted for a renewal in October 2018. Expiration date is April 2019. Received a letter stating that I should not worry because they are busy now and that letter is as good as a licence until they will get to me and make me a nice picture for a new license. I kind of like this approach. Maybe they can make it a standard. Instead of repeating the entire circus we will just receive letters stating that what we have is still valid.

14. kartooo

kartooo NES Member

they just used my driver's license pic already on file

15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I never have that problem. LOL

I guess they could find out after running my prints 50 times in the past that THIS time I'm really the Linbergh Baby killer. Honestly. They have my prints. I assume the FBI runs my prints when they run something anyhow. They NEED to run my prints again? Since I've already GOT THE LICENSE???? It's a racket. I hate it.

16. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

There is nothing better like fresh fingerprints! They help you mentally justify that $100 renewal fee. Be glad they did not bundle bodily cavity searches with it!

17. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

They claimed they lost mine and thats why they needed a fresh set. At least they don't use the ink pad anymore.

18. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

They lost them? LOL
    I wonder who is running around with them now!
    I love the setup! First, they collect all information about you in order to get you when the time will come and they will have to protect our great society from those neanderthals with weapons. Then, when they subject you to a complete info dump, they file everything in the steal cabinets or (in a modern district) in THE COMPUTER which was by the way invented TO SHARE DATA. And some of it is eventually lost because that is the nature of the beast. So, they first serve you but they will never protect you.

Do you realize we are living in a very crazy world?

GaryO likes this.
  19. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

Same thing happened to me, except my PD does use ink.... My expiration date was 3 months ago, glad I got a receipt

20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

It's not them TAKING my fingerprints or LOSING the old set. It's COMPARING them (which the PD told me takes no time at all) to ensure you haven't become a criminal mastermind in the last 6 years. You compared them six years ago. You had my prints on file. I'm sure Uncle Sam has em too. You need to run them AGAIN and claim it takes WEEKS to do???

Yeahno.

21. 2-old-4-this

2-old-4-this NES Member

It sucks how the process differs from town to town.
    Mine expires in June, my wife's expires in March.
    She really should have gotten the process started sooner, but we both went to our local PD on Monday of this week.
    This is our first renewal, and I know we definitely came off like a couple of noobs.

We filled out the forms right there in the lobby.
    We never actually entered the building beyond the lobby.
    They passed everything back and forth through the drawer, and even took our pictures through the glass.
    There was no mention of having to do new fingerprints.

I have an ancient, automotive-related "continued without finding" from when I was a yoot.
    I had explained it in detail on my initial application, so I knew I had to mention it again for the renewal.
    Problem is, I didn't have the specific dates at my disposal this time, like I did for my original application.
    I ballparked it by saying "in the 1980s".
    I've been worried ever since that they won't accept that.

When we were finished, the woman at the window gave us our receipts, and advised us that it's currently taking two to three months.
    I know, with our original licenses, it was four months from the time we applied until we were notified that they were in.

Barry

22. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

FWIW, that poem doesn't even rhyme, Barry. ;) Nor does it haiku.

2-old-4-this likes this.
  23. 2-old-4-this

2-old-4-this NES Member

Lol. Too wordy? I'll have to work on the rhyming. ;)
    Believe it or not, despite all that, I managed to leave out one point that was in keeping with the original post.
    Neither of us ever received a notification from the state that we should start the renewal process.

Barry

24. durask

durask

So, it's been 3 months already. Should I call?

25. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

I would call. That is what I did. I still do not have it but at least fingerprints and check were taken. If I would not call I would be still waiting on nothing.

26. 603doug

603doug

This time around only took 8 weeks.
    I think renewal for out of state is easier than alot of your towns. Once a year sucks, i have advocated for MA non residents to have the same courtesy in NH

just kidding

27. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Call the state to see if it's even processed yet.

28. Sparky123

Sparky123 NES Member

When I received my notification for renewal I went to my local PD only to be told I was too early. Clearly the state and local authorizes are not on the same page. So I followed the advice of the PD and filed my application several months before the expiration date. 93 days later, weeks after my expiration date my LTC finally arrived.

29. durask

durask

Called the PD - they told me that the state told them they could not find my prints so came down to the station and redid the fingerprints (now using scanner instead of ink like the last time).

30. Lone Wolf McQuade

Lone Wolf McQuade NES Member

Bourne Police called me at 1010 AM Sunday saying my LTC is available for pickup. Went right down and by 10:20 I was on my way back home.
    Total time was 48 business days, toss out one Federal holiday Presidents Day made it 47 business days. BPD was a pleasure to deal with for the complete process.

JGreen and AHM like this.