1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Received a notice from the State of MA urging me to begin the LTC renewal process now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gbest, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

No penalty for the PD for non-compliance (there never is any penalty on LE), so they don't care.

2. 76Too

76Too NES Member

I went in to Worcester licensing authority last week for a renewal...the gentlemen at the desk actually instructed me to fill in ‘all lawful purposes’...I was kind of surprised but kept my bearing and complied.

Come back in April, they said...lol...i’ll have bought a house in another (free) state by then, probably.

...meh...

3. barnabus

barnabus NES Member

Thanks

4. Ringworm

Ringworm

Not really his point. He's pointing out that some merchants are too stupid to do their own due diligence, and are holding to old laws out of fear from the c**t AG. She's already held several companies over the fire over nonsense: why risk it?

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I got my card late-October, I think. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I didn't get there until Dec 1. Ossifer told me 5-6 weeks. "I hope it's 5 - my birthday is in 6." "Shouldn't be a problem."

It's been 7.5. The WONDERFUL DELIGHTFUL clerk at the PD told me to not come back until it was 10 weeks because "that's what they take and the officer should have told you that already." ASS!

My lic went into limbo 11 days ago. Thankfully nothing's come up on the XC that I really want. LOL

MuzzleDiscipline likes this.
  6. MuzzleDiscipline

MuzzleDiscipline NES Life Member NES Member

Really? I got that. Yep I got it. My point is if you deal with a better class of merchant you don't have those kind of problems.

Of course that means you don't always drive for two hours to save $20 on a $400 purchase. It means you pay a fair price for items to provide the merchant the opportunity to compete with the stupid ones. It means you recognize his good service is worth money in the long run.

The skinflint approach is self defeating and kills off the best in class of small business all too often. It leaves the stupid, crooked, back stabbing, rats or the big box stores to survive and they aren't the ones likely to face off against pressure from the AG or anyone else. There are plenty of examples represented on this forum in just the last couple of years.

Personally when I go to the few good shops I support because their service is worth supporting, I never leave empty handed. NEVER LEAVE empty handed(bears repeating)

I always make some purchase cause there is always something there I want or can use. It is easy to spend $20-$40 and those items are most frequently high margin unlike guns which means the merchant might have $10 or more from that small purchase. I consider it the price of admission cause at the very least going to the LGS is entertainment.

What I get in return is smart merchant who knows the laws and works with me

when I face situations like a face value expired license with a MIRCS receipt in hand.

He also doesn't pass out when I need a frame transferred or any of the other myriad circumstances where service makes a difference.

Start the renewal process early and get a receipt then patronize merchants who serve your interests and are worth keeping in business. Some of those also have some of the lowest prices going. Shooting Supply in Westport.

pupchow and M125X like this.
  7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

As if they really do ANYTHING more than a quick check of your records. The renewal guy said as much. "It takes them, like, 30 minutes to get you checked out. Then they have to print the card and sit on it. Sorry." He was an OK dude. But there is NO reason to do anything but submit a pic and wait for an in-mail renewal. IT'S A RENEWAL!!!!!

I suspect a big part of my delays, on a CONSTANT basis, is my birthday being early January. PD takes time off. Bureaucrats in Boston take time off. I'd be willing to be the longest wait times are December applications. Hence my stupidity of NOT applying more than 6 weeks prior. But wife got hers in Summer in 3-4 weeks.

Maybe the thing will be in the mail box when I get home. And maybe the ATF, reading my numerous posts, will give me a Lifetime Buy Anything You Want hall-pass, too.

8. gbest

gbest NES Member

I contacted Brockton Police, have an appointment mid March.

9. AHM

AHM NES Member

(I totally acknowledge that many retailers
    won't sell guns or ammo on an expired LTC, but...)
    Q: Did Teh Man give you a MIRCS receipt?

Then again, I've never really coveted a gun in an out-of-state shop,
    and buying ammo at 619DW is a nice trip in the country.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  10. M125X

M125X

I’ve been waiting 3 months now...

11. dcmdon

dcmdon

My wife got hers this week, for an early June renewal.

I dont have a problem with it. If anything it can be used to coerce a PD to do the process earlier than they might otherwise want to do it.

Don

Len-2A Training likes this.
  12. vickers

vickers NES Member

When I got the letter about renewing I emailed the licensing officer in my town on a Saturday night and she responded an hour later telling me to call on Monday for an appointment. I had the updated license in only a few weeks. Your mileage may vary.

13. JoseyWales

JoseyWales

The question is, how did they know you had guns....

14. dcmdon

dcmdon

In theory, they don't. But they know you have a license.

Other than that, I don't really understand your post. If you bought guns in MA, they have the FA10. If you brought your guns here when you moved here, they don't have anything.

15. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

The "grace" period does not appear to apply to the Green Card. So be careful there. Jack.

Len-2A Training and drgrant like this.
  16. Bigcat

Bigcat

I went in the day after I got the notice, the police held it until the day before my 70th birthday got it for free!!
    Bourne cops are the best.

Lone Wolf McQuade likes this.
  17. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Thanks for posting this, Jack.... useful to know, I was not aware of that limitation.

-Mike

18. Alien

Alien NES Member

Me too, mine expires mid may.

19. cbrxx

cbrxx NES Member

Good to see this thread reminder, I come up this July.

What really chaffs me.... why can I walk into the PA sheriffs office and have them do a background check and walk out with new laminated license in hand in under 30 minutes for only $20

20. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I wasn't aware of that either but never checked into it. I'll be totally out of the state years before mine expires anyway!

21. DavidC77

DavidC77 NES Life Member NES Member

I did mine on 13 June 2018 finely got it on 6 Oct 2018... My wife did hers in Oct 2018 and see still hasn't gotten it yet and it's Jan 2019 now...

So yes send them in early...

22. poorbucks

poorbucks

I got the same letter last Wednesday, filled it out, and brought it back the next day.............last renewal took almost 7 months

23. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I might have. It's not a big deal, really. The # of guns and/or ammo that I buy a year, a couple of weeks is not a big deal. What chaps me is that there is no reason to make a renewal go through this. Simple background check alone would be sufficient. They could print them in less than a week. It's another Masshat move by the Commonwealth.

AHM likes this.
  24. AHM

AHM NES Member

I hear ya. We're not collectors, but I skinflint -
    many of our ammo purchases and a couple of gun buys were sales/special deals.
    And there would still be echos audible from my head exploding
    if our licenses had been on hiatus during AR Day in 2016 (they weren't).

OTOH, if SCOTUS ever issues a slam-dunk 2A ruling -
    50-state constitutional carry -
    we may live to see ceremonial LTC burnings...
    Never say never.

25. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I'm gonna confetti mine and mail it to the current AG at the time. I'd like it to be Muuuaaaaarrahhhhh.

QUESTION: Can I call the Commonwealthians and find out how my lic. is processing???? I was thinking about this in the shower this AM and don't know WHO or WHERE to call. I'd like to know, 8 weeks later (8x7=56. 56>42.) if they've sent it to Tawwwwn'n or if they are still sitting on it. Also would like to know when they got the packet from Tawwwwn'n. Again, this is the second time in a row they've done this. My wife gets hers in less than a month every time.

AHM likes this.
  26. John42056

John42056 NES Member

Contact the Firearms License Application Status Hotline at (617) 660-4722.

27. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

TY! Called. Issued a week ago. I'll be looking in the mail and then go on my rampage on Monday if it isn't in my mailbox. LOL

28. **DRB**

**DRB**

I’m sooo close to not having to renew come March 2020... own property in NH, just started a business in NH, and almost have my head above water on my upside down mortgage.

29. nutsym16

nutsym16 NES Member

LTC appointment today. Took pictures and said 6 to 8 week wait for the state to send back LTC. When they get it, they will call.

Dennis in MA likes this.
  30. Regman

Regman

16 weeks to the day, picked up my LTC.